Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Dev for Linux ?
Posted by: atomcomputer
Date: February 26, 2006 01:36AM

Hello,
Is it a project for the KMeleon team to port this browser for Linux ?
It could be very useful, fast as dillo but powerful as mozilla : a very good dream. I've tried to run it with Wine but it take too many ressources for nothing (thanks windows).
So, is it a dream or a possibly reality for 2006 ? ^^
bye
Anton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dev for Linux ?
Posted by: bst82551
Date: February 26, 2006 03:16AM

There has been talk about this, but little initiative. Nobody has actually picked it up and made a version for Linux. I'm sure it would be easy to make, considering most of the work is already done and it only needs to be ported. Although... some parts of the code aren't in C++, I believe. That may add complications.
I know zero about coding... particularly in linux, but if a dedicated linux programmer were to come along and try putting something together, I'm sure they would receive much praise and eventually have a following of others that wish to improve upon the browser just the way K-Meleon for Windows has.

Brian

Posted by: Fred
Date: February 26, 2006 10:15AM

I use K-Meleon 0.9.12 in DSL Linux with wine version 20050524.
In DSL Linux you can use the dsl file xwine .
The files mfc42.dll and msvcp60.dll must be in the K-Meleon
main directory.
I use it only in the windows only mode, without
layers, to get more stability. Nevertheless some crashes can
happen.
The lwheel.dll must be in kplugins to have mouse scrolling
support.
winecfg builds a .wine configuration folder.
Wine should have Arial, Times and Courier fonts.
Run k-meleon.exe with the command wine.
The 1.0 versions are difficult to use with wine and can only run
with modifications.

Fred

Posted by: rmn
Date: February 26, 2006 12:36PM

> I'm sure it would be easy to make

Trust me, it's not.

> fast as dillo but powerful as mozilla

Try Skipstone and Kazehakase.

Date: February 26, 2006 12:49PM

Just to clarify, my "trust me, it's not" comment seem to imply that I know how to do it. I don't.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: February 26, 2006 01:30PM

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know what goes into the development process, so I believe what you say. Not because of your knowledge of programming, but mostly because it's not hard to believe that it would be difficult.

Brian

Posted by: Culpeper
Date: March 14, 2006 04:25PM

It just needs the right people to port it for Linux. No different than FireFox, SeaMonkey, Opera, and so forth all have Linux versions available for download. It would be a great alternative for FireFox and SeaMonkey for Linux. The plugins are already developed. Getting the word is out is the best solution.

Posted by: alain aupeix chez wanadoo fr
Date: March 15, 2006 07:29AM

@Culpeper,

I'm not a programmer, but I think that the big problem to port it to Linux is the use of MS libraries by K-Meleon.

To make Mozilla (Firefox, Seamonkey and Mozilla) easy to port, Mozilla uses xul and java, and it's why it's so easy to do, but also why K-meleon is faster than Firefox.

For Opera, I don't know how it's coded, but I also know that there are more than one programmer to do the job.

A+

Posted by: Culpeper
Date: March 16, 2006 02:53AM

Alain

Well noted. Thanks. It would require a team of Linux folks to create and maintain an ongoing Linux version of KM.

Date: March 17, 2006 08:45AM

> To make Mozilla (Firefox, Seamonkey and Mozilla) easy to port, Mozilla uses xul and java

Um, no. XUL and JavaScript. Java is a completely different language (you can check in Wikipedia).

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.