Macro Library 2 and KM 1.1
Posted by: ndebord
Date: December 05, 2006 03:36AM

KKO,

I have a very customized setup using menus and macros (cfg). I worry about how to incorporate my custom setup into the new plug and play system.

<using KM 1.0.2>

N

Re: Macro Library 2 and KM 1.1
Posted by: guenter
Date: December 05, 2006 10:55AM

I am relativly unworried about new maros.

I assume the "masters of script" who created the old macros will adapt some.
Else YOU will do it Yourself using exaple *.kmm & publish that for the next
generation of users :-)

After all: You are the old welp and i use the relatively uncustomized versions ;-)

After they are adapted to kmm ppl can copy these into macros folder in root or profile.

If this is not suitable for You: just update Your GRE with files from the new build and continue to use the old macros (like JohnHell does with an old es-ES version).

It is not that anyone found a security risks in k-m.exe and kplugins. The new
version has just some improved functions: e.g. easier customization (possibly
custoizations that can be installed as easily as an FFox-extension). So newer is not always better & here some things will be just easier to do.

kko seems to have created some of the *.kmm in macros just as examples:

mtypes editor was already replaced by a better module in kk's kmprefs - the kmm that calls mtypes is an example after which You could shape e. g. support for FFox livehttpheaders extension and an extension that makes daily profile backups.

Calling IE from k-m menus is also an example and already extended by alain who
has made calling code for Opera and FFox.

So we best look/scavange macros folder for examples what can be (re)-done by ourselves in order that some repertoire exists when the browser comes.

My idea anyway - kko will probably give better answers - greetings to US from DE

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2006 02:19PM by guenter.

Date: December 06, 2006 05:57AM

Guenter,

Well, when you tell it like this, it sounds like a piece of cake! I worry because of past experiences, such as when the changeover in search engine style left me with just 10 engines, instead of my 49 preferred ones! After KKO and others helped me with that, I was able to have the best of both worlds. ALL my old search engines on a right click and the 10 menu thing too. Nice.

Yes, I confess to having probably one of the more convoluted macros/menus around, as I have been saving and modifying old macros going back to KM 5 (I think, might have been 6 or 4, don't rightly recall right now.)

I too have been looking forward to improved macros, but worried about how easy the transition would be. Have full faith in KKO, but not necessarily myself in doing whatever is necessary to keep what I like in the new scheme of things!

<SIGH>

Daily Profile backups would be a nice thing. As a default. My kludge has always been to keep an up-to-date copy of KM zipped up, so if something weird happens, I just delete the current one and replace it with the backup. Since I do this backup just about daily, I seldom lose anything important. I do use PROFILE INI because I like the old system of having everything in the program's folder(s) instead of in the registry.

Calling IE from Menus is something I kind of like and kind of hate. <shrug>

I have not had the time to play with the alpha. I am rather busy and KM 1.0.2 is my everyday workhorse browser and as such, I just want what I need to work well. Things like Wackget are not a luxury, but a necessity for me, as is Cookie monster.

:-)

N

Date: December 06, 2006 08:39AM

I would not call it convoluted but a well developed private theme :p

The point i was trying to make is that we will soon be able to share such things.
We will do them once more and then we can carry them with us to the next version like a well fed user.js or mimtypes.rdf ( well i hope so ).

ndebord

Daily Profile backups would be a nice thing. :-)

for Dorian's dev 1.1 they sort of exist:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,68933

The adapted FFox extension makes running backups under the current day name.
As soon as You reach the next day the backup is left alone for a week. Extensions have no installer yet - alain works on one. This particular one is invoked by a kmm caller macro similar to (shapped after) mtypes.kmm.

So You could possibly use it with and old macro calling it from 1.02.

Profile location: i have the same system as You, I use k-m with 2 OS on my i-net PC.

p. s. IMHO hand saving like You or by a script is the better solution.
But the extension can not forget backup and needs no scripting host or scheduler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2006 08:44AM by guenter.

Date: December 08, 2006 03:24AM

Guenter,

One man's private theme is another man's junk. It is reassuring to know that
macros will be much more portable in the near future. And we'll be there to
make sure that when the new rolls out they don't forget to upgrade the old, no?

<sly grin>

The FF extension for backup looks very promising. I use a PKZIP batchfile right
now, but I could be persuaded to change over to something different.

We have the same system? As I may have mentioned before, I had moved over to
W2000, but after a rootkit (I believe) problem and other issues with drivers, I
moved back to W98se where I am happy to stay for as long as I own this
computer.

N

Posted by: kko
Date: December 08, 2006 12:33PM

ndebord,

As guenter says, there's no need to worry. The new system is downwards compatible. You can use your 1.0x profile with 1.1 without any problem. When 1.1 finds a macros.cfg in your profile dir (settings dir), it will use that in favor of the *.kmm files.

Of course, the transition of your old macros into kmms will be an effort. Just take you time, there's no need to hurry. I suggest that you simply take a look at 1.1. Think about what you are missing and what you want to get rid of. Then feel free to mail me for assistance.

BTW: I've placed a compatibility module for 0.9 style search macros in the profile dir of 1.1. It's located in macros\disabled\ and it's called search9.kmm. To enable the module, just move the file up one directory level. But with the next version of 1.1, the 10 engine limit for new style search engines will be gone. You can then use Advanced Preferences to set up your 49 engines (or as many as you like) without need to edit any files.

Calling IE from Menus is something I kind of like and kind of hate. <shrug>
I plan to make this optional for the next release.

Date: December 08, 2006 08:31PM

@ndebord, Your bat file is better = less resource hungry & the same result.
p. s. i was aware of the PC problem and return to 98 but had assumed that U had
meanwhile set up a double boot like me. Easier to handle problems with 2 OS PC.

kko, thx for info: I was not aware of backward compatibility. And I like the new
macro system way too much to much to keep the old.

Date: December 09, 2006 06:03AM

Guenter,

IF the transplanted FF extension provides a seamless backup routine, I'll embrace it in KM too, just like I embraced Aggreg8. There are certain basic and necessary functions that are a pleasure to have built-in with the browser. (I personally think that Wackget is one that deserves a permanent place in KM, but since there are other download managers that work equally well and have supporters here I supppose I should not push my luck on that one!)

As for not going for a dual boot. After my bad experiences going back and forth between W98se and W2000 and now back to W98se once again, I'm just happy that I have one operating system working well. Don't want to mess around with it any more as it is my work computer and the down time was getting both excessive and too stressful.

SIGH

N

Date: December 09, 2006 10:03AM

ndebord
There are certain basic and necessary functions that are a pleasure to have built-in with the browser.

No more built in things:p

alain and me try to get install routines for extensions installation working.
He has normal nisi installer working already.
I tried with xpi installer of Mozilla. I did not get macros folder installed but the rest of Mozilla installer works for us after i found a good js with German noscript installer. I asked the devs for help in mail.

& that is why i am so pleased - kmm will give us installable modules (or so i hope).
greetings the the US from DE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2006 01:09PM by guenter.

Date: December 09, 2006 04:53PM

Guenter,

Ah! Finally I understand. A truly modular macro system! GREAT! If it works as hoped, this will be a really monumental change for KM.

<VBG>

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.