Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
KM 1.5 with Gecko 1.9 - how?
Posted by: Sob
Date: May 02, 2008 03:29PM

I've seen some support for Gecko 1.9 in cvs and while I understand that it's not probably fully supported yet, it'd like to try it.

I already spent one day trying to compile the whole thing. I got Gecko from Mozilla's trunk and after few tries I managed to compile it (had to add --enable-xpcom-obsolete option for --enable-application=suite to work).
After I defined GECKO_VERSION=19 for K-Meleon, it almost worked. "Almost" meaning that there are only three unresolved externals left.

Then I realized that I've chosen the wrong approach. It's pointless to try to play with K-Meleon when I'm not sure that I got the base (Mozilla) right.

So I'd like to ask:

1) Which Gecko 1.9 is it supposed to work with? Is trunk ok, or should I get some specific release?

2) What should be the exact content of .mozconfig?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM 1.5 with Gecko 1.9 - how?
Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: May 03, 2008 05:14AM

Well, Just for testing, you can try K-MeleonCCF ME 0.09 Beta1

It's Gecko 1.9 + KM 1.5 + NON-XUL

Date: May 03, 2008 11:42AM

I tried it, I like it and everything, but I'd like to play with it a little more, have possibility to change some things if needed, ...

I found your buildconfig, but --enable-application=kmeleon doesn't sound like something that will work with standard Mozilla source. Would you mind sharing some info about it? Please. smiling smiley

Posted by: Dorian
Date: May 04, 2008 03:37PM
Date: May 07, 2008 12:14AM

Thank you, it really works! smiling smiley

Now I have almost fully working K-Meleon. winking smiley Well, still far from fully working, I wasn't even able to compile some plugins yet, the chrome is missing, ... But it is able to browse web and it's a good start. smiling smiley

Date: May 07, 2008 05:42PM

Good to hear that.

Building plugins should be easier. But for history plugin, you also need to define GECKO_VERSION 19. And make sure you get all autocomplete*.h you need.

BTW, does your build exe also have the problem of exiting correctly?

Hao

Date: May 08, 2008 11:41PM

K-Meleon itself and most of the plugins compiled without any major problem (not counting adding some include path or something like that).

I should point out that I'm using MSVC9, so it's probably the reason for lot of the following problems:

Bookmarks plugin does not compile, because it has string type mismatches almost everywhere (88 errors total). I din't look more into it yet, there are two more bookmarks plugins available to use. winking smiley

Macros2 has minor problems because of more strict compiler.

I can't compile JSBridge. At first there were problems with some macros in nsGenericFactory.cpp, probably something from older Mozilla code, I couldn't find them in current source. I changed the file according to the one with the same name in K-Meleon's main directory, so compiler is now happy, but linker somehow managed to find three unresolved external symbols. They seem to be existing functions, but with wrong type parameters (if I correctly understand how the identifiers are created). I'm currently trying to find where it got messed up.

Other than that, things seem to work.

Exiting problem is present. If I just start the browser and close it, then it's ok. But if I do something first, like open few pages, then it does not work correctly.

Posted by: playdayz
Date: May 14, 2008 03:04AM

@Hao, Just a thought but I have been using FF3b5 in Linux a lot this week and it crashes on exit quite a bit--mabye something to do with Flash 9--who knows, but I have been using the windows version since beta 1 and haven't seen that.

Posted by: marco11
Date: August 19, 2008 10:17AM

Sob

Macros2 has minor problems because of more strict compiler.

I can't compile JSBridge. At first there were problems with some macros in nsGenericFactory.cpp, probably something from older Mozilla code, I couldn't find them in current source. I changed the file according to the one with the same name in K-Meleon's main directory, so compiler is now happy, but linker somehow managed to find three unresolved external symbols. They seem to be existing functions, but with wrong type parameters (if I correctly understand how the identifiers are created). I'm currently trying to find where it got messed up.

Have you fixed this? I've run in the same problems especially with Macros2.

Posted by: marco11
Date: August 19, 2008 10:47AM

Ok I finally fixed all the problems with Macros2 and JSbridge.

Posted by: gennargentu
Date: August 20, 2008 01:50PM

marco11
Ok I finally fixed all the problems with Macros2 and JSbridge.

Do you think you will release a test version?
I really wanna try and test it.

Date: August 20, 2008 05:38PM

There is an already Gecko 1.9 version of K-Meleon here:

http://kmeleon.blogspot.com/

Posted by: gennargentu
Date: August 20, 2008 06:06PM

Hao Jiang
There is an already Gecko 1.9 version of K-Meleon here:

http://kmeleon.blogspot.com/

Yes, but afaik (the great) ccf version is NON XUL.

Posted by: Cutebaby
Date: February 28, 2009 09:59AM

Who can tell me when km 1.6 can be released

Posted by: desga2
Date: February 28, 2009 01:55PM

June or July, who know it tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish