Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
change from SLT to DEFAULT
Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 04, 2008 02:54AM

A small point, but a niggling one. I was used to the 8.3 convention of old K-Meleon profiles. I used a hex editor to change the random numbers to something I could replicate on other computers. But I wonder how you would do that with the new system which uses a DEFAULT extension instead of SLT. Is there another place you can edit things. Can you edit the registry.dat file or the profiles.ini file found there? (BTW, I notice this is now called profiles.ini as opposed to the previous profile.ini naming. Is this to make sure it is different from the profile.ini file that is located in the main program sub-folder? (c:\program\files\k-meleon)

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: change from SLT to DEFAULT
Posted by: desga2
Date: August 04, 2008 09:52AM

@ndebord, you must open your mind... smiling smiley

Read this about profile.ini file (not profiles.ini).

ndebord
I was used to the 8.3 convention of old K-Meleon profiles. I used a hex editor to change the random numbers to something I could replicate on other computers.

What problem? 8.3 convention is from MS-DOS times, please update your mind. smiling smiley
Default extension in profile folder only set default profile, profile folders with extension SLT continue works, you can rename folders not need a Hex editor.

I don't understand because you use a Hex editor to do this, in what files?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: kko
Date: August 04, 2008 02:50PM

Uff, that's a bit complicated. Actually it's not complicated, it's just a bit difficult to explain (especially due to the confusing names profile.ini and profiles.ini). I have not yet found a simple and clear explanation, that's why I have not yet updated the ProfileLocation documentation.

Well, I guess all you need to know is that K-Meleon 1.5 has a new profile component (similar to the one of Firefox - or it even is the one of Firefox). In K-Meleon 1.5 the file profiles.ini is the profile pointer. In previous versions the file registry.dat is the profile pointer. The purpose of the profile pointer is to tell the browser what profiles exist and where they are located. In order to move or rename profile directories, just edit profiles.ini (registry.dat is synchronized automatically).

[Just to make confusion perfect: The profile.ini file that can be placed in the K-Meleon installation directory, is just a pointer to the profile pointer - it tells K-Meleon where to look for the actual profile pointer (profiles.ini or registry.dat).]

One of the advantages of the new system is portability. In order to get a portable installation of K-Meleon 1.5, you just need to uncheck the option "Multi-user profiles" when installing (or manually place a profile.ini in the installation directory). You can then just copy the installation directory to a USB stick - the installation will work whatever drive letter the stick may get.

Date: August 04, 2008 04:20PM

OK, sorry i don't remember this change.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2009 04:08PM by desga2.

Date: August 04, 2008 10:26PM

kko>> In K-Meleon 1.5 the file profiles.ini is the profile pointer. In previous versions the file registry.dat is the profile pointer. The purpose of the profile pointer is to tell the browser what profiles exist and where they are located. In order to move or rename profile directories, just edit profiles.ini (registry.dat is synchronized automatically).

(kko and desga2)
Ah-ha! That is what I suspected. In the old system, I used a hex editor to modify the ????????.slt file to change the random number/letter convention to something specific that I could then use on other installations of KM by simply copying over the entire SLT sub-folder with all my tweaked settings. The hex editor (of course) worked with DAT files natively, so that part was easy.

When you edit profiles.ini, you lose your modified settings, no?

And the change in Gecko made it impossible for KM to stick with the old methodology. Too bad.

Do I understand correctly that I could (if I wished) rename the sub-folder to the old .SLT extension instead of DEFAULT?

I'm not quite sure I understand why the single system install will work regardless of the drive letter of a usb stick? But that solution for the browser would not also work for your various plugins, so would it not be better to go for the portable apps solution. We have our own, the better known Gecko browsers (like FireFox and Seamonkey) are modified by the Portable Apps people:

http://portableapps.com/suite

kkl>> [Just to make confusion perfect: The profile.ini file that can be placed in the K-Meleon installation directory, is just a pointer to the profile pointer - it tells K-Meleon where to look for the actual profile pointer (profiles.ini or registry.dat).]

Now that is a distinct advantage. FWIW, I have always used a profile.ini file in previous incarnations of KM in order to keep program information where it belongs: in the program's sub-folder, like all well-behaved apps do.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2008 10:28PM by ndebord.

Date: August 05, 2008 09:50AM

Yes it's, you can rename profile folder from "????????.default" to "????????.slt" if you also change it in "profiles.ini" file, for example:
[Profile0]
Name=default
Path=????????.slt
IsRelative=1
Default=1
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

And you not needed change "registry.dat" file with Hex editor.
Now do this is more easy in 1.5 version.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: August 06, 2008 01:12AM

desga2,

Excellent. This makes it so much easier to customize KM.

Much thanks.

N

Posted by: kko
Date: August 06, 2008 03:15PM

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.