Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Not the gecko I once loved
Posted by: Jeffrey Brown
Date: August 29, 2008 07:29AM

While K-Meleon does not get a good share of comments on tech sites that discuss browsers, it does what is says and is faster than all other browsers on speed tests. What saddens me is that the latest version 1.5 has removed many of the other browser engines it was initially designed to mimic (where K-Meleon gets its name!) Is this due to browser security with so so many mimics? I was actually using v 1.12 until last week until I made the big move to 1.5, then dropped back to 1.15 which is fab! 1.15 has additional 2007-8 browsers it mimics, page zoom, HTTP blocker, full screen viewing, and much, much more. I've concluded more than a few thousand times that newer software is rarely better software when all the trade off's are considered. BTW, I wonder if the bad guys are targeting K-Meleon since it's as widely used as other browsers? {;~)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not the gecko I once loved
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 29, 2008 01:13PM

You should have updated to 1.1.6. That is the 1.1.x with the newest Gecko engine.
K-Meleon is not affected by all Gecko bugs - but a newer engine is more secure.

BTW. Fred and Hao offer ME versions with slightly other look and feel (but the same sound & fast K-Meleon core).

p.s. Here a piece of pure nostalgia for You. The Kute0.8 skin updated to 1.1.3 toolbars.cfg codes
( Its only concession to modern times: new Zoom Bar Buttons smiling smiley .).
All 1.1.x and 1.5 have the same toolbars code.

Newer is not always better smiling smiley - But I like new 1.5 much - it is the best so far smiling smiley
1.5.1 is in the making and fixes some bugs & will probably add kmm debugging to console2.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2008 01:16PM by guenter.

Date: August 29, 2008 07:05PM

Thanks Guenter! I got 1.1.6 and I see no difference. Smooth seamless install over 1.1.5 and it picked up all the bookmarks, groups ,and homepage, and it's nice to have the safer newer update. Still think the NEXT new version should do other browsers "like Safari" yes cool idea?

Good call!

Jeffrey Brown

Date: August 29, 2008 08:52PM

Jeffrey Brown
I got 1.1.6 and I see no difference.

Subversions of the same main version should be like that with no visible differences and no problems at install into older version.

Problems may arrive with new main versions.

There are improvements & updates & visible changes besides the Gecko number in about: Compare e.g. User Agent strings of Firefox/Seamonkey with 1.1.3's or 1.1.4's - I compared with German 1.1.4. It is updated since some pages may require this.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 30, 2008 02:31AM

Guenter,

<<1.5.1 is in the making and fixes some bugs & will probably add kmm debugging to console2.>>

Now that will be a nice addition. Debugging macros has been a PITA for me with KM 1.5 (admittedly, I am trying to recreate macros I use in KM 1.0.2xxx that were simpler in their language and the debugging thing has been a problem. Can't see where errors are all the time unfortunately.)

N

Date: August 30, 2008 11:42AM

kko added this eye rolling smiley feature to console and so far it is only passed on for testing.
It would be an asset.:B. But not all things survive testing sad smiley Lets hope this works out.smiling smiley
With XUL gadgets I never trust whether anything will survive to work the next day. :s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2008 11:47AM by guenter.

Date: August 30, 2008 09:36PM

Nice to see such dedication to a good thing. Keep up the good work!

Question: Why do I always suggest Firefox to others instead of K-Meleon?

Truthful Answer: Firefox is easier to use by design, and I'm frankly worried that K-Meleon will become too popular a browser for many hackers hell bent on getting through the #1 front door "a browser". My sad thinking is go ahead and hack Firefox and IE, I use K-Meleon.

I really think when the designers of K-Meleon focus on making K-Meleon the safest browser in the world others will flock to it. Now if you could just prove that by comparison. Thing is I'm actually a hacker by design, and I know them's fightin' words and a challenge! So naturally I'd want to be the first on the block to exploit K-Meleon for rights, money, and to prove no browser is safe.

Thanks for what I think is perhaps the "best browser in the world". When you can prove it they will come, "hackers too".

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.