Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
K-Meleon 1.6 for Gecko 1.9.1/MSVC8.0
Posted by: Dorian
Date: February 01, 2009 05:10PM

This is just a kmeleon build (no gre) working with current mozilla trunk and improved vista compatibility, for those making complete package.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/files/k-meleon16.7z

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon 1.6 for Gecko 1.9.1/MSVC8.0
Posted by: desga2
Date: February 01, 2009 05:27PM

Thanks Dorian!

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: February 02, 2009 05:54PM

Failed to start with the latest trunck here (well, I'm using Win 7 at this moment smiling smiley )

Posted by: xGrind
Date: February 02, 2009 08:00PM

Error

Posted by: xGrind
Date: February 02, 2009 08:44PM

msvcr80d.dll not found

Date: February 02, 2009 10:27PM
Date: February 02, 2009 10:47PM

I have problems with favicons transparency that is showed as black color in backgrounds and with scroll bars not showed (similar problem to Fred's SM versions).
I think this happend to mix the new SM chrome.dll (Gecko 1.9) with K-Meleon old chrome (some file lost in chrome). Not worked when I used old K-Meleon chrome.dll.

His speed is impressive! smiling smiley

About K-Meleon web page have some problems to render good.
And browsing I obtain a lot of errors, warnings and messages in Error Console.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 10:56PM by desga2.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 03, 2009 02:22PM

desga2
(similar problem to Fred's SM versions).
I think this happend to mix the new SM chrome.dll (Gecko 1.9) with K-Meleon old chrome (some file lost in chrome).

About K-Meleon web page have some problems to render good.

And browsing I obtain a lot of errors, warnings and messages in Error Console.

1.) K-Meleon needs a new chrome. We also made a new chrome when Dorian moved K-Meleon to 1.8. The 1.9 chromes know new defaults and values.

2.) about: draws about.png from a new default location, some other locations have changed also. That is fixed and tested by disrupted, Fred and me.

3.) Error console still needs fixes. I do not know whether I can fix.

The SourceViewer is broken & I have no idea how to fix.

That viewSource.xul of toolkit is no good since it does not guide to the line and place. It only opens the source file. Probable reason no findbar.

Does any one know a method to redirect these blue links in Error console into K-Meleon's own native programmed SourceViewer?

mtypes is broken. I made version 0.3 from Mozilla 1.7.12 code but I can not fix it anymore. This does not matter. A similar tool is in kko's prefs.

Part of the kko's prefs panel seems to want functions that do not exist in 1.9 chrome. He is informed.

4.) How much support for the Toolkit API must stay in/from ./chrome/toolkit.jar?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2009 03:50PM by guenter.

Attachments: _01.jpg (6.1 KB)   _02.jpg (4.3 KB)  
Posted by: Dorian
Date: February 03, 2009 06:11PM

There was a bad dependency left in the build.
I've updated it

Download it again
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/files/k-meleon16.7z

Date: February 03, 2009 06:52PM

Thanks Dorian, now msvcr80d.dll file isn't needed. smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 08, 2009 11:23PM

Dorian
There was a bad dependency left in the build.

Thx... smiling smiley

With that bad dependency it only works with the whole 2005 MS update package installed. sad smiley

IMHO MS fault. Compilation's exe must not die with these little marginal/human errors. sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 11:29PM by guenter.

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 09, 2009 03:16AM

desga2
His speed is impressive! smiling smiley[/quote=desga2]

How does it's speed compare to 1.5.1 and 1.5.2? Did you have to ad any page speed tweaks?

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: February 09, 2009 08:54PM

I'm like said that his speed (with default settings) in startup and rendering web pages is notable in comparation with official 1.5.x versions with default settings.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 10, 2009 01:41AM

1.6 (GRE 1.9.1) is ABSOLUT the fastest current browser for JS heavy pages.
No matter what compiler!

Settings and prefs are negliable but can speed up all GRE.
Per se they can achiece a lot - but cannot blure speed diffs reaally.

At least with alike settings the faster GRE will be IMHO faster.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2009 01:46AM by guenter.

javascript performance
Posted by: steve
Date: March 12, 2009 10:30PM
Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 14, 2009 03:39PM

Guenter,

And here I am on my aging T40 Thinkpad thinking that the speed of KM 1.5.2 is magnificient when compared to KM 1.0.2 (which is faster than FF and IE6.)

<VBG>

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2009 03:48PM by ndebord.

Posted by: Clubby
Date: March 17, 2009 09:44AM

Hi,

I'm using the VC8 compiler and don't get the K-Meleon 1.5x Release with Gecko 1.8 to build. Where can I download the src of K-meleon 1.6 based on Gecko 1.9 or when will this be available?

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: March 17, 2009 04:54PM

Clubby
Hi,

I'm using the VC8 compiler and don't get the K-Meleon 1.5x Release with Gecko 1.8 to build. Where can I download the src of K-meleon 1.6 based on Gecko 1.9 or when will this be available?

Src is in the CVS, the same with 1.5x release however you need to define GECKO_VERSION 19 in the header before building.

Posted by: Ken
Date: March 26, 2009 12:57AM

When you say Gecko 1.9.1, are you referring to Gecko SDK (which has been renamed to XULRunner SDK)?

I see in from 3 different location in Mozilla site the latest release is 1.9.0.7.

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Gecko_SDK
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/

Where can I get Gecko 1.9.1?

I am also trying to build K-Meleon using MSVC8.0 (VS 2005).

Would you also post the link to the K-Meleon source tarball that can be built with MSVC8.0.

Thank you.

Ken

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: July 16, 2009 10:44PM

Ken
When you say Gecko 1.9.1, are you referring to Gecko SDK (which has been renamed to XULRunner SDK)?

Where can I get Gecko 1.9.1?

I am also trying to build K-Meleon using MSVC8.0 (VS 2005).

Would you also post the link to the K-Meleon source tarball that can be built with MSVC8.0.

Thank you.

Ken

hi Ken. A candidate build of XULRunner 1.9.1 has been released late last week. Go here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/nightly/1.9.1-candidates/build1/

I'll wait for a recent progress report on K-meleon 1.6 from Dorian.

Posted by: bksening
Date: July 21, 2009 11:53PM

When we say Gecko 1.9.1, we mean the layout engine developed by the Mozilla Project, which is used in Firefox and all other "Gecko-based" browsers, including K-Meleon (and no, that's not XULRunner). See also:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Gecko
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko_(layout_engine)

You can get Gecko 1.9.1 by downloading the source for Firefox, for example:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.5.1/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2009 06:44PM by bksening.

Date: July 22, 2009 05:54PM

thanks for the clarification, bksening.
hope you took note of that, Ken.

getting the "source" for Firefox 3.5.1 might be here instead:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/3.5.1/source/

Posted by: ra
Date: July 26, 2009 03:49PM

Any updates on this topic? When can we test a complete package, even if it's only alpha or beta? :drool:

Posted by: Yogi
Date: July 26, 2009 07:13PM

ra
When can we test a complete package, even if it's only alpha or beta? :drool:

Some severe bugs have been introduced with the new JS engine.
While Firefox 3.5.1 is a bugfix release it doesn't fix them all.
Therefore I wouldn't be so impatient for an official new alpha/beta release for now.

Date: July 27, 2009 06:40PM

So presumably these new, severe JS bugs are already in/have been entered into Mozilla's bugtracker? ( https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ )

Yogi, did you just read about these JS bugs from Mozilla bugs, or is there a list of these bugs somewhere else?

And in case if not, will these new, severe JS bugs be entered into Mozilla bugs?

In fact, I am very impatient for an official alpha/beta of KM based on Gecko 1.9.1. KM has languished using old Gecko 1.8.1 far too long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 06:51PM by bksening.

Date: August 03, 2009 01:36AM

bksening
In fact, I am very impatient for an official alpha/beta of KM based on Gecko 1.9.1. KM has languished using old Gecko 1.8.1 far too long.

well why don't you contact Dorian, desga2 or guenter privately and tell them your concerns about when an official alpha/beta of a Gecko 1.9.1x based KM will be available? otherwise, go try out Hao Jiang's KMCCF ME 0.096 browser which is based on Gecko 1.9.1. sheesh!

unlike you, bksening, I can wait as long as I want, even I have to wait a year or two for an official Gecko 1.9.1 based Kmeleon browser to be released.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 01:40AM by 4td8s.

Posted by: foxkyo
Date: August 03, 2009 11:32AM

Would you please tell me how to update it?
I had overwrite the files uncompress from this package
Into my folder k-meleon 1.5.3

but it crash!! somebody can help me?
thanks

ps.sorry for bad English

Posted by: Yogi
Date: August 03, 2009 08:07PM

@bksening

Sorry I kept silent so long and didn't reply to your post.
The reason, I couldn't give away the source of my information nor the nature of the bugs.
Maybe it would have been wiser to keep my mouth shut up.
However, Firefox 3.5.2 released today will fix several security issues.

Date: August 04, 2009 08:59PM

I shall contact Dorian, desga2 and guenter about the schedule for Gecko 1.9.1x based K-Meleon. I also wonder why KMCCF ME 0.096 hasn't been made into the official Gecko 1.9.1 KM? But that of course is the difference: will there be an official Gecko 1.9.1 KM or not? The KMCCF one specifically says not official, and that is all the difference.

As well, willingness to wait a year or two for an official Gecko 1.9.1 KM is definitely the wrong mindset. Browser improvements, fixes, enhancements are developed regularly and it certainly it not reasonable nor good to be willing to wait a year or two for Gecko 1.9.1 to get to KM.

Unless KM is going to skip Gecko 1.9.1 entirely? Maybe go straight to whatever Gecko will be used in Firefox 3.6/3.7/4.0 in one or two years time? It will probably be the long awaited Gecko 2.0 revamp by then.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 06, 2009 02:31AM

bksening
I shall contact Dorian, desga2 and guenter about the schedule for Gecko 1.9.1x based K-Meleon. I also wonder why KMCCF ME 0.096 hasn't been made into the official Gecko 1.9.1 KM? But that of course is the difference: will there be an official Gecko 1.9.1 KM or not? The KMCCF one specifically says not official, and that is all the difference.

As well, willingness to wait a year or two for an official Gecko 1.9.1 KM is definitely the wrong mindset. Browser improvements, fixes, enhancements are developed regularly and it certainly it not reasonable nor good to be willing to wait a year or two for Gecko 1.9.1 to get to KM.

Unless KM is going to skip Gecko 1.9.1 entirely? Maybe go straight to whatever Gecko will be used in Firefox 3.6/3.7/4.0 in one or two years time? It will probably be the long awaited Gecko 2.0 revamp by then.

FF 3.5xxx is a major change in how that browser works. The decision to use SQLITE for cookies, bookmarks, history and passwords has been an interesting one and there are problems that have been reported all over the place. Whether or not the decision to move from Wallet, etc., was a good one and moving from the old Netscape HTML format was a good one is still yet to be made.

But what it means for a macro based browser like K-Meleon is lots of decisions and changes. This is not an easy upgrade and since (To My Mind) KM 1.5.3 has been a successful and bug-free browser, the decison to make the change and the work required to do so successfully, must be made when it is ready to be Gold code and not a day before.

Play with Hao's versions if you must have 1.9.xxx right this minute. KM has been successful for many years by marching to the beat of its own drummer and to paraphrase an advertising jingle: no release is made before its time (just my two cents worth).

Let me reiterate. This a tough release to make work with KM which does not use XUL/XPI. FireFox, imo, has bet the ranch on SQLite and that is a major, major, yes, major change in the Mozilla Gecko browser and all those who make other browsers based upon Gecko and those who do extensions are scrambling to make sense of this sea change. Not an easy task... not even a little bit.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2009 02:32AM by ndebord.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.