Development :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
K-Meleon development related discussions. 
Will there be a 64 bit version of K-Meleon developed/released?
Posted by: Zod
Date: May 24, 2009 08:38AM

As written in the title I wanted to ask if there will be a 64 bit version of my favourite browser released?
Thanks for all answers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will there be a 64 bit version of K-Meleon developed/released?
Date: May 24, 2009 10:24PM

Zod
As written in the title I wanted to ask if there will be a 64 bit version of my favourite browser released?
Thanks for all answers

Yeah that`s a good question...

By the way can a normal K-meleon run on a 64 bit version OS???

It should do ...As far as i know most programs designed for a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows will work on a computer running 64-bit versions of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs, and some hardware drivers.
Is the drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows that do not work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows.

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Posted by: desga2
Date: May 25, 2009 01:19PM

Never? tongue sticking out smiley

I think this isn't an main objetive in our project.
Never before of year 2011 or 2012.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Paul
Date: May 25, 2009 01:37PM

Gorilla no baka

desga2 can it?

Date: May 25, 2009 02:17PM

Paul
Gorilla no baka

desga2 can it?

Have you got a 64 bit version of XP laying around ???? Just give it a shot and let us know..

I do not know about the others but I am curious...

Cheers!

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Date: May 25, 2009 06:29PM

I read some about it, some user wrote in forum about some K-Meleon problems and crashes in Vista 64 bits.

But I don't tested it because i haven't any 64 bits CPU and OS.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Terry
Date: May 30, 2009 12:27AM

K-Meleon does run in Vista 64. However, I had some difficulties trying to make it run "locally". Using the installer and allowing it to be installed such that it puts itself in a "Roaming" directory (under users\name\etc.\) allows K-M to work pretty flawlessly.

In XP you could unzip it within a subdirectory under, for example, Program Files and run it once, transfer your profile under that subdirectory in the appropriate place and you were ready to run with a new K-Meleon. Apparently, the way Vista acts, it does not like changes made to some directories without constantly interrupting you and asking for permission to do so while you are using the program.

Posted by: selyb
Date: May 31, 2009 02:55PM

KM runs fine for me on Vista64 with UAC disabled, no crashes, no issues whatsoever

a 64-bit build would be pointless for many of us until Adobe gets their act together and releases a 64-bit flash player for windows

Vista64 defaults to 32-bit IE instead of the 64-bit version

Date: August 31, 2009 03:38AM

I'm running Vista x64 now, with UAC disabled and my portableized K-M copied over from my old XP machine. No problems EXCEPT.... I'm having to use Firefox to download a lot of things and another problem that I haven't fully analyzed yet.

K-M can't pick up download links that I left click on. All sorts of odd behavior. I'm thinking this might be some carryover of gradually messed up configs and will try a clean install when I get time. I can download anything that I can right click on. With all the RAM I have now I can afford to have several browsers open, so it's not so bad. LOL

Problem #2 is a nasty. K-M freezes frequently when I open a new tab from a link. It usually happens when there are about eight tabs already, but I haven't done enough controlled experimentation yet to make any definite statements.

Otherwise it's behaving very well smiling smiley

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Date: August 31, 2009 05:45PM

Matera the Mad
I'm running Vista x64 now, with UAC disabled and my portableized K-M copied over from my old XP machine. No problems EXCEPT.... I'm having to use Firefox to download a lot of things and another problem that I haven't fully analyzed yet.

K-M can't pick up download links that I left click on. All sorts of odd behavior. I'm thinking this might be some carryover of gradually messed up configs and will try a clean install when I get time. I can download anything that I can right click on. With all the RAM I have now I can afford to have several browsers open, so it's not so bad. LOL

Problem #2 is a nasty. K-M freezes frequently when I open a new tab from a link. It usually happens when there are about eight tabs already, but I haven't done enough controlled experimentation yet to make any definite statements.

This problem seems the Mouse Gesture problem try to change Mouse Gesture plugin by this other or disable it in Preferences.

What K-Meleon version are you using?
Tabs in last version 1.5.3 work better in Vista than before versions.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: September 03, 2009 12:39AM

I have Mouse Gestures disabled as always. It's only certain kinds of links -- actually K-M does pick up some downloads, but not the odd indirect ones.

ETA: Forgot to say, I am using K-M 1.5.3

I have some more definite facts about the tab freezup. My window is 820x640, a size I find comfortable for reading because it keeps lines short. This allows eight tabs of default max size (35). Whenever I try to open one more tab, K-M freezes solid. I used to be able to open more tabs, but the flexibility is gone in this new environment. I'm going to experiment with max size. After posting - lol

ETA2: AHA. It is a math thing. Max size 24 is "legal" -- the tabs squish into the available space after hitting the end.

ETA3: I should add that 32 and 48 die horribly, only 24 is safe. One might experiment with window size too, but one is sleepy and doesn't want to. No idea if min size has any effect.

ETA4: The smaller tab size setting only lets me go two or three tabs beyond the window width, but it's easy enough to live with if I'm careful. I seldom have more than 8-10 open anyway grinning smiley

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 04:14AM by Matera the Mad.

Date: October 26, 2009 03:06AM

Download problems are sorted out, I needed to edit mime types. That should take most of those kinks out. There are always some complicated links that don't work well no matter what. I just try them in different browsers or download managers.

I still have to budget my tab space carefully. Feels funny having the freedom to open as many windows as I like without worrying about RAM issues, but remaining in conservative mode with tabs. Except for that K-M and Vista64 get along fine.

I still can't get it working in Linux though. *sob*
grinning smiley

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Posted by: Richard J. Boivin
Date: December 16, 2010 12:29AM

I have been using K-Meleon for year now in Windows7-64 version, I have ad no problem whatsoever.

In passing the very best and warmest for the Holiday Season.

Cheers!

Richard

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: December 16, 2010 01:29PM

Arual,

What aren't you able to run under Linux ?

I use it (1.54 and 1.60b1) since a long time without real problems, under Ubuntu 64 bits (amd64) 10.04 and 10.10, and with wine 1.2

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.