Localization :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about translating K-Meleon. Creating and updating locales, solving l10n-related bugs, etc. 
[HELP] Localization
Posted by: Plutom4
Date: September 26, 2010 10:29AM

Hi all!

I would need your help about translating K-Meleon in Italian. Simply, where I have to start?

If I put my hands on C:\Programs\K-Meleon\defaults and I change i.e. Edit, it disappears from browser.

If I touch C:\Users[name]\AppData\Local\K-Meleon[folder with new profile]\menus.cfg nothing appears.

Plus, if I go on Edit -> Configuration -> Menu I receive 'The file menus.cfg could not be fund'.

Thanks in advance, greetings :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [HELP] Localization
Posted by: desga2
Date: September 26, 2010 12:47PM

What K-Meleon version are you translating?

Here you can found a thread with explanations to translate K-Meleon 1.6.x.

Please moderators, move this thread to General forum, thanks.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 12:50PM by desga2.

Posted by: Plutom4
Date: September 26, 2010 12:54PM

desga2
What K-Meleon version are you translating?

Here you can found a thread with explanations to translate K-Meleon 1.6.x.

Please moderators, move this thread to General forum, thanks.

1.5.4, thanks for your answer and forgive me for posting on wrong section.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 26, 2010 05:50PM

desga2

Please moderators, move this thread to General forum,

Belongs to Development Forum IMHO. So I move it there. smiling smiley

Tell me if I am mistaken?

Posted by: Matt
Date: September 26, 2010 07:24PM

Hi Plutom4

download existing locales for K-Meleon 1.5.4 and look inside the 7zip archive then you know which files in which folders are to translate.

When desga makes a resource package for K-Meleon 1.6 translators will beginn their work.

In the meantime you can check already existing italian translation for many files for K-Meleon 1.1.6 - download locales only package > http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/download.php I'm sure it will make your work easy.

K-Meleon uses SeaMonkey chrome parts http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.0.8/win32/ - download zip archive, you will need it later.

Take a look also on http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/Localization

You can find more details in the thread desga pointed out. If you have any questions about translation ask them there, please.

Good luck!

Posted by: siria
Date: November 04, 2010 08:47PM

Wondering something...
Usually I have KM set to english, but sometimes I'd like to switch to other languages temporarily. Have now finally gotten around to download a pack for KM154 :cool:
Unzipped into into a separate folder first to just take a look at the files. To my surprise there are not only separate language files in it, but also global default files I10n.js and search.xml, going into the normal default folders, so if I'm not completely mistaken those overwrite the english default files??

Now I'm confused: Doesn't that mean that switching the browser language in the prefs panel only switches the other files, not those 2 default files?? That would mean you always have the global settings for that stuff in the last installed language, could that be true or am I getting something completely wrong there??
If that's true there should be at least also an english 'language pack' for download ;-) (without needing to reinstall the whole browser I mean)

Those files contain stuff like a country-specific search engine list, the language code in your user agents (true+fake), the default browser 'home' page with the intro to KM, domain-completion suffixes (e.g. de/net/org instead of com/net/org, by the way would be much better to throw out 'net' or 'org' instead of omnipresent 'com'!), etc.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 04, 2010 09:54PM

1.) Yes, Unpacking, copying overwrites the 3 mentioned default files of the originally, previously installed language (can be en-US or ...)

2.) Yes there is an en-US package in a way. The full 7z en-US package does not have the installer that would normally clean up and destroy all the previously installed locale files.

The bug is IMHO that You can not completely switch the locale (including search.xml...). smiling smiley

But I guess extremely few PPL have more than 1 locale installed.

p.s. ich habe auch mehere Sprachen installiert & am Schluß de-DE nochmal drüber grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 05:56PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.