Localization :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about translating K-Meleon. Creating and updating locales, solving l10n-related bugs, etc. 
Dutch version
Posted by: Belgian
Date: October 30, 2015 05:45AM

The title says it all, I miss a Dutch language K-Meleon version.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dutch version
Posted by: rodocop
Date: October 30, 2015 06:58PM

The only way here is to create new locale by yourself or in cooperation with somebody who speaks Dutch.

Chrome (engine-related) part of locale could be taken from corresponding release of Firefox (FF31 ESR for KM75; FF38 ESR for KM76).
After that you need to translate
- some default KM-chrome (jar-file with dtd- and properties-files for XUL-stuff);
- kml-files to translate KM native GUI (menus etc.)
- dll-files to localize kplugins.

Ask for any help if needed.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 31, 2015 08:34PM

Belgian
The title says it all, I miss a Dutch language K-Meleon version.

Welkom!

The only Dutch version was an unofficial 0.8.2 version many years ago. It was not a Vlaams variant but translated to the Nederlands variant of the Dutch language by a user.dev (sfastjonny) from the Nederlands.

Locales are currently not created and updated by K-Meleon devs but by us users.

rodocop is AFAIK the current Mr. K-Meleon - Russia. I update the German version.

To create a national locale like Dutch You only need to know one of the languages to which K-Meleon is already translated/available like English, the language into which You want to translate (preferably You are a native speaker of that language) and all You need is to be able to work with an editor and a zip program.

Technical advice will IMHO/AFAIR be given by the users that have already translated K-Meleon into their own language. They know the traps that You can encounter when You start.

As robocop said we scavenge all usable/identical language strings from SeaMonkey or Firefox to save effort and then translate the K-Meleon specific stuff.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2015 12:24AM by guenter.

Posted by: Belgian
Date: November 04, 2015 05:04AM

Why isn't this translation used in more recent versions?

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 04, 2015 07:01AM

Belgian
Why isn't this translation used in more recent versions?

I only habe vague ideas.

1.) Because

guenter

Locales are currently not created and updated by K-Meleon devs but by us users.

and between 0.9 and 1.0 there was a gap in K-Meleon development and after that the Dutch dev/user that belonged to Dorian's team (that did the unofficial version) was not active any more and no other Vlaams/Netherlans native speaker was interested to translate into Dutch since then.

2.) Maybe Dutch are maybe less in the habit to translate their software that French, Spanish or Germans?

3.) Maybe only a native speaker is interested to translate without getting paid?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2015 07:06AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.