Localization :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about translating K-Meleon. Creating and updating locales, solving l10n-related bugs, etc. 
Pl-locale renewed for KM 75
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 03, 2016 04:32AM

I found old Polska (Poland) locale from 1.5.4 and decided to make it usable for KM 75.

So here it goes, containing also polish dictionaries, search.xml and i10n.js.

Next step will be locale for 76 prepared for inclusion in final release.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pl-locale renewed for KM 75
Date: December 03, 2016 04:35AM

Some part of translation was made by Yandex translate so it needs to be checked and edited.

Also it's partly incomplete locale being so old.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 03, 2016 03:28PM

Thank you rodocop for all your great efforts!
I see it, again and again, and each time it hurts more to see people like you be left running against walls. Although direly needed. And there aren't exactly many who'd be at the same time able and willing to support KM. All contributions ignored, greatly demotivating.

Am more and more afraid, this time our beloved browser is really dying sad smiley
There were already long years in the past without any dev and admins around, but at the time there were at least some mods still there. Even mods with programming skills, creating unofficial updates. And it was still possible to update the embedded gecko engine somehow, just not store it in the official database. And someone (guess Disrupted) maintained an unofficial extensions archive. No matter how basic, almost zero descriptions and no links to the presentations in the forum, but at least an up-to-date categories list.
Without all their efforts and especially desgas bugfixes and improvements to the early beta of KM1.6 I wouldn't have been able to use KM so happily until today. Only lately more and more modern websites now start breaking. Too bad all his contributions were trashed again later, probably because not stored in the official database, where no one had access. And sometimes wish the early alpha of KM1.7, the last one running on win98, could have been fixed too, but that would have needed an expert dev.

This time at least the last KM version seems a quite good RC-version already, that hopefully can save the browser a bit longer. But without any additional support, not even the tiniest unofficial fixes, it still may not last long.

The only thing I see you could currently do is create an own space to collect your KM contributions. Like kmext was in the past, but is now dead too. Perhaps create a new extensions archive called kmext2 or such? And/or an unofficial KM updates site, so at least things are together. In the forum it's too shattered around, hard to find.

Date: December 03, 2016 03:48PM

Well, siria,
all this hurts me too.

But I see some life perspective here.

Let me describe. Information is a king. We just produce too low buzz out there. Chrome won the race just and only using it's media possibilities. Chrome is Google. Every f.cking small bit of change there in Chrome instantly becomes a world-news through Google search.

That' the reason Mozilla looses not it makes bad browser or engine. It looses in noosphere.

And so we do - much deeper. But there is a chance here too. Every my little run all over the publications about browsers posted in sites, blogs and videohosts like youtube - instantly gives our russian forum new members who are on their very start in using K-Meleon. And they like it!

The other problem is that KM is firstly for slightly aged people but I see new young faces too.

So I found it invaluable to just post again and again, make things and promote them. It's worth doing so.

The only problem is that I haven't 100 hands, 50 heads and 2048 hours in day ;-)

But I try to.

I prepared the mirror for KMExt in The K-Meleon Place but I haven't enough time just to get all the KMext stuff ordered and separated in parts - working, dead, needing some work to revive... So the mirror is just a prototype for now.

But I see that there is some life in original KMExt - someone changes feel and look, updates descriptions (mostly marking dead extensions as 'not supported'). I want and can help, but I don't know - whom and how.

We became a community of silence> But in IT-world silence = death.

Stay alive is easy - just start to speak! And even shout! I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 04:32PM by rodocop.

Date: December 03, 2016 03:53PM

Why poland locale?

Well, I found one download polish site where the single KM 75.1 was downloaded more than 150 000 times!!! In Poland only!!!

Folks! We have big virtual army of KM-fans!!! But we don't use it. So I try to.

I even have written on their polish mozilla forum in KM thread, but I wasn't able to post link to here, as their AI presumes me to be a spammer ;-)

Date: December 03, 2016 03:59PM

Yeah!

They accepted me as poster so the link is published!
Just waiting for polish hordes now! ;-)

Welcome brothers! Witajcie, bracia!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.