Localization :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about translating K-Meleon. Creating and updating locales, solving l10n-related bugs, etc. 
Testing locale RU, zn-CH packages ALL fixed for KM76RC2/pro and KMeleon Goanna
Posted by: J.G.
Date: January 10, 2018 02:26AM

From http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?20,144980

- Uploaded files have been deleted.

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 07:39PM by guenter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Testing locale RU, zn-CH packages ALL fixed for KM76RC2/pro and KMeleon Goanna
Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 10, 2018 11:14AM

Dear comrade J.G.!

First of all I respect and enjoy your passion in making things done. It's great now for our small community. We need passionate and full of wishes contributors here!

And I understand that feeling of 'I can't stop making changes' when you've got into HOW TO do these pretty things. It catches you ;-)

But siria is right - too much job is done in vain or even making things worse.

Look here, please:

1) branding folder in locale is EDITED for KM - replacing it with Firefox's one leads to show 'Firefox' instead 'K-Meleon' in number of pages

2) old locales are bad base for changes - for example, kmeleon.dll in THIS ru-locale is bugged for years - and already fixed by me in 2015.
We shouldn't make the job again and again.

3) many of browser\subfolders from FF locale are not needed in KM - they only make browser heavier for downloaders.
100-150kb aren't a problem, but when multiplied for 6-7 locales...

4) again - there are number of misleadings and misreadings in Google translated locales as well as big job appears to synchronize different versions of locales, merging good parts of them from different sources.

What I think about it:

1) refine only those parts that you've updated by hand for every locale - and make a 'patch package'. Post it here.

2) ask locale maintainers to update their locales. Or - if no maintainer - ask native speaking power users.

3) create discussions for hard and problematic cases.

4) that would be good enough.

Final locales should be posted by native maintainer or approved by community.

P.S. And my thanks to siria for solving Applications bug. Earlier I fixed the same for KM 75-76 Pro and recalled that encoding is the root of the prob, but cannot remember the file which produced that bug.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 11:15AM by rodocop.

Re: Testing locale RU, zn-CH packages ALL fixed for KM76RC2/pro and KMeleon Goanna
Date: January 10, 2018 11:23AM

And about different locales:

yes, I always use latest Pro-locale to work with all the builds on the same Gecko base (changing base engine forces to change core chrome files).

So we can use 1 locale - except the different readmes. My Pro Readme is highly altered in comparison with official one. And will be altered even more for russian locale.

This is the only culprit. We can extract readme from locale package and ship it separately (it's easy).

Date: January 10, 2018 11:32AM

So here goes the most correct ru-locale for Goanna (including the next Goanna-Pro).

This is LATEST (and it should REPLACE one in next weekly Goanna) but NOT FINAL locale.
Some job to be done later.

For example, this doesn't contain readme.html for now.

Attachments: ru-locale_KM77_Pro.7z (288.4 KB)  
Posted by: J.G.
Date: January 11, 2018 12:15AM

@rodocop, thank you very much for your kind words of support, your amazing work and suggestions. However I noticed right now that my technical skills are at years of distance from all yours, so I prefer to wait to the official language packages to avoid waste the valuable time of members. Anyway I hope my contributions be useful for something for the future. Probably my packages are not the best or not good enough, however my method worked fine to solve all the problems in only one night of work with about.support, about.preferences and about.addons, so I'm very happy for considering my newbie knowledge. Anyway, as I wrote above, I hope my contributions be useful for something for the future. Again, thank you very much @rodocop. smiling smiley smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 02:00AM by J.G..

Posted by: roytam1
Date: January 25, 2018 11:22PM

rodocop
So here goes the most correct ru-locale for Goanna (including the next Goanna-Pro).

This is LATEST (and it should REPLACE one in next weekly Goanna) but NOT FINAL locale.
Some job to be done later.

For example, this doesn't contain readme.html for now.

@rodocop FYI http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?19,143253,145386#msg-145386

Date: January 25, 2018 11:35PM

Yes, I'll fix this

Date: January 27, 2018 01:23AM

Fixed ru-locale for Goanna (missed icon is back)

Attachments: ru-locale_KM77.7z (337.2 KB)  
Date: August 15, 2019 10:36PM

fixed GoannaKM and KM Pro GoAnna ru-locale (16.08.2019)

1) about:support fixed and about:serviceworkers added
2) typo noted here fixed

=> OTHER LOCALES STILL NEED CORRESPONDING CHANGES FOR P.1):
Step 1. You should add and localize string
<!ENTITY aboutSupport.appBasicsServiceWorkers "Registered Service Workers">
to YourLocale\XX.jar\global\aboutSupport.dtd
!!! Don't update this certain file from PM 28 langpacks!

Step 2. Add aboutServiceWorkers.dtd and aboutServiceWorkers.properties into your .jar
(these 2 files CAN be taken from corresponding PM language pack as they are)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2019 11:00PM by rodocop.

Attachments: ru-locale_KM77.7z (339 KB)   ru-locale_KM77_Pro.7z (343.2 KB)  

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.