Localization :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All about translating K-Meleon. Creating and updating locales, solving l10n-related bugs, etc. 
K-Meleon Traditional Chinese (zh-TW)
Posted by: tobbymailbox
Date: February 07, 2009 04:18PM

Hello, everyone!

We're a team in charge of the Traditional Chinese localization of K-Meleon.
We've fully done the whole translation in the main software (including those chrome folder, dll , and all the stuff). The tutorials and documents introducing K-Meleon are translating with a 7-ppl team, which are all stored in[ url=http://kmeleon-tw.wikidot.com]our wikidot website[/url].

We are now sincerely requesting for the official K-Meleon to pack our translation into the default installer, so that we don't need to provide an individual installer. Also, we can move our translated documentation to here.

Long time ago, we had requested this begging, we were told to contact kko. It seems like he's just too buzy, or maybe the mail from our organizer (IRabbit, as well as the Localization Project Manager of Mozilla Thunderbird) had been recognized as spam, we had just waited for such a long time without any message or reply. Finally, if you are curious about our translating time, here's some of our members' contacting info:

Yuan - Website manager
* E-Mail: louis383 at gmail dot com

lRabbit - Main Software manager
* E-Mail: abev66 at gmail dot com

Tobby - Doc manager
* E-Mail: tobbymailbox at gmail dot com

We hold a team meeting called "KFC"(Kmeleon-tw @Freenode Conference) every month, but the date is not fixed, contact with us if you want tongue sticking out smiley

That's all, thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Traditional Chinese (zh-TW)
Posted by: desga2
Date: February 07, 2009 05:22PM

Our friend Cutebaby also have Chinese translations and Hao have some files but he can't finished for time problems.

Please we need sort all chinese translations to avoid that different people work in same translation separately doing the same work twice.

kko was busy some time and now some translations are pending; chinesse, portuguese (BR)

Please read Cutebaby posts about his chinese translations:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,88796
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,88860

Also you can contact with Hao in his blog.

You wrote: "K-Meleon Traditional Chinese (zh-TW)"

I don't know a lot of chinese language, chinese in Taiwan is very different of chinese in rest of China country?

I know that Traditional Chinese is defined like "zt" (not "zh"), and Simplified Chinese is defined like "zh".

I hope that you can contact to change info and help with other chinese translators and at the end can do official versions of K-Meleon in Chinese.

Thanks.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 05:24PM by desga2.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 07, 2009 10:55PM

desga2

You wrote: "K-Meleon Traditional Chinese (zh-TW)"

I don't know a lot of chinese language, chinese in Taiwan is very different of chinese in rest of China country?

AFAIK: China has different historicaly related languages. If needed the speakers of the different "dialects" communicate by a written pictoral script - one picture or combination of pictures per word.

There are two writing systems: Traditional and a modernized / style called simplfied style.

If You need to read old Chinese literature or live in Taiwan You learn Traditional.

The simpliefied translation is finished and a dev or skilled translator must inspect the technical details.

Tobby informed us that the traditinal translation is also in working.

@ tobby, download translation resources and go right ahead, desgas2 does the Spanish translation. Contact him or kko if you have any technical problem.
(I also know some but not much.)

Check whether another group has done work already. There are posts about traditional translation

p.s. Europe traditionaly uses one or more lingua franca ( a spoken no written common language to communicate. It was Latin once, later it were other languages - English now. smiling smiley Spanish is a lingua franca winking smiley on the Iberian peninsula grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 10:59PM by guenter.

Date: February 13, 2009 08:18AM

hmmm...
Traditional Chinese is almost perfectly differ from Simplified Chinese, it's not a dialect but a formal way to write Chinese characters. zh-TW is recognized as a formal encoding as well. Not only differ in characters but also a great different in words we use, just like British English and American English. Traditional Chinese is being used currently mainly in Taiwan, some people in Mainland China, Hongkong, Macau, Malaysia, and Singapore. In Summary, Chinese is quite complicated. (For more, see WIKI: Traditional Chinese)

We have done translation for a long time, what we request is to be covered into the official language files and be published with other language version.

Posted by: desga2
Date: February 13, 2009 06:12PM

Thanks for the explanion and link.

I think Chinese Traditional was in web defines like zt and Chinese Simplified like zh.
This is the characters used in Babelfish to translate between this chinese languages. (You can see it in his web page sources)

I now know that zh-TW and zh-CN are different language and simbols but then, what's zt?
I'm searching about zt-CN and didn't found anything, is this a Babelfish translator wrong?

If zh-TW is Traditional Chinese from Taiwan, how is defined in web languages Simplified Chinese from TW or from CN?

Thanks for your work, translate to Chinese must be a difficult and hard task.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: February 13, 2009 11:11PM

desga2
Thanks for your work, translate to Chinese must be a difficult and hard task.

You bet :drool:

Posted by: Tobby
Date: February 14, 2009 02:30AM

I've never heard about zt ... standing for zh-TW ?

It's hard to define the relationship between zh-TW/zh-CN and Traditional Chinese/Simplified Chinese

What I can say is, zh-TW including ALL the characters in Traditional Chinese and SOME characters in Simplified Chinese, vice versa.

Date: February 15, 2009 04:20PM

The key problem we're talking about is to synchronize K-Meleon and zh-TW's locale package. The package has been done as what I said before. There's NO technical problems nor Download server. What we are REQUESTING about is to hang on a zh-TW download link referring to the download server from Taiwan's OSS Foundry. Is this clear?

Just a link, is this that hard?

We'll start to translate this website recently smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 02:49PM by tobbymailbox.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.