K-Meleon Pro :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Advanced build with extra community stuff for max power and usability 
Future KM Goanna Pro Portable?
Posted by: J.G.
Date: December 21, 2017 03:57PM

@Rodocop
I don't know if I missed some topics or posts about my question, anyway, have you planned to release also a future version of Kmeleon 77 Pro with Goanna Portable edition, well tested by your side? I have not tested Kmeleon Goanna by @Roytam1 because I really like Portable versions, and also I need to know that is secure itself -- I meant that I trust better older members of this forum, so sorry if it sounds rude, it's not disrespect for @Roytam1's work but I think that it would be different if Kmeleon on Goanna become official. I don't know if I am explaning well to you, because sometimes the language translation may sound a bit rude but it's not rude I sure you. Thanks in advance for the answer and keep going with your good work.
J.G. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 04:00PM by J.G..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Future KM Goanna Pro Portable?
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 21, 2017 04:28PM

I see no problem in your speech and believe that same goes for roytam1 too (my english also isn't perfect, sure

Well, I definitely would like to create Goanna-Pro ASAP. But I cannot guarantee that it will arrive this year as well as that it will be bug-free.

But I hope that it will be better everyday of being used and tested by many new users giving feedback.

Re: Future KM Goanna Pro Portable? / [Howto] K-Meleon portable
Posted by: siria
Date: December 21, 2017 04:46PM

J.G.
I have not tested Kmeleon Goanna by @Roytam1 because I really like Portable versions

This version IS portable by default smiling smiley

Perhaps not in the strictest sense (no registry stuff written anywhere not even by the OS itself), but as portable as any other KM-version.
With KM it's very simple:
The exe looks if there's a file "profile.ini" in its root folder. If yes, it looks up the profile folders inside its own program folder, if no, it looks for the profile folders in the usual Windows User folders somewhere (appdata or whatever, not sure which exactly.) That's all.

So, if you want to switch the "portable" setting anytime later, simply create or remove an empty file "profile.ini" in the K-Meleon folder.
Of course, in the other locations the profile knows nothing anymore about the first location. In this case simply copy over the folder contents.

As for safety, am afraid it doesn't make much difference if rodocop already has a Pro Version or not. Like everyone else here he also just hopes for as many testers as possible who report back their experience. Our main developer is Dorian, that's another ligue, but he's rarely around, pity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2017 06:52PM by siria.

Date: December 21, 2017 05:03PM

Thank you very much @Rodocop and @Siria, I will test KM Goanna after work following your recommended settings for the profile.ini as well! smiling smiley

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 21, 2017 05:25PM

Also I'm sure that roytam1 does great job and we all making custom builds rely on his job and his skills and expertise.

It's worth trust to!

Date: December 22, 2017 02:45PM

rodocop
Also I'm sure that roytam1 does great job and we all making custom builds rely on his job and his skills and expertise.

It's worth trust to!

You were completely right! Awesome project indeed! smiling smiley

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.4 Firefox/52.9 K-Meleon/76.0

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.