K-Meleon Pro :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
Advanced build with extra community stuff for max power and usability 
From 75 Pro to 76 Pro...any way to simply keep profile/settings ??
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: February 23, 2020 08:14PM

As the title implies - I have both.
Also, I had made the effort to make 75 Pro as plain & minimal as my vision prefers for daily usage.

So I ask:
Is there some simple/easy way via file copying or over-installing that may allow most or all of my preferences, etc. to make the move to the newer & different version ??

I get that this is Gecko vs. Goanna & has all the attendant changes thereby, but still I ask just in case there may be such a way.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: From 75 Pro to 76 Pro...any way to simply keep profile/settings ??
Posted by: siria
Date: February 25, 2020 05:34AM

There are probably as many ways to update as users you ask ;-)

Goanna or Gecko makes no real difference for that purpose, as far as I see it. Goanna gets only updated engine stuff, those files are usually unaffected by user customization. Hardly ever any macros (remember a little fix in main.kmm for OnSwitchTab, and troubleprefs macro), but no skin stuff, etc.
More relevant for updating are Dorian's changes between KM75-76(gecko).
And rodocops PRO-additions, mostly separate files with own name.

A major prob can be language files. Most languages were broken last year by some huge engine update, and only spanish got fixed fully (?), and russian was fixed partly, but all others - bad luck, no maintainers around anymore sad smiley But you're lucky since you're only using english anyway.

What I suggest to simply try and see in your case:
- make a full copy of your old KM75-program and profile folders
- overwrite the copy with KM76Pro
- overwrite it AGAIN with roytam1 latest version
- delete in the components folder the 2 *.dat files (KM creates them new)
- delete in your profile folder the Startup Cache folder

Now just start this and see how it looks. Perhaps a second restart just in case.
If looking much different, you haven't created your own skin folder and filled it with your customized files. But no real prob, you still have your old original folder, just copy over whatever else you changed. Check especially toolbars.cfg and accel.cfg (attention, files may exist multiple times)
You can also try to rename the new Skins folder completely, and copy back again your old complete Skins folder, as is, on top. The default files are different and would keep them in that separate folder, if needing later. But KM is still backwards compatible for skins, your old ones keep working.

And check if you changed any files in the /defaults/preferences folder (date?)
In general it's preferable to put changes into separate new files with own name to escape overwriting.

Addons are additional, separate files anyway, *.xpi in the Extensions folders, and old ones in chrome or components folder, so are usually not overwritten by native KM - except those already contained in Pro.

If you customized any macros yourself, just find and copy those over again.
Useragent macros were out-of-box a mess since years, especially the 2 in the current build are completely useless for KM-Goanna76, but were already duplicate before too. Again, just copy over your own ones. The only prob may happen if you're using the extremely 'special', tricky and complicated useragent addon in the Pro-version, which is so deep glued inside omni.ja without even its own name for files, that it's impossible (for me) to figure out how to remove it without possibly breaking anything else, since only rodocop (and Hermes? Naruman?) know how they added it. But if you use the non-Pro version of omni.ja, you can use the native UA functions instead, and a macro like useragents2018. Just the domain-UAs must then be stored in the native Mozilla way.
Note that Goanna-builds come with a bunch of domain-UAs already predefined out-of-box (in omni.ja, first js-file). Pattern "general.useragent.override.somedomain.com" Those can not be completely removed without fiddling inside omni.ja, only the sting changed, but a trick for disabling is to open aboutconfig and set their string just empty. Or in prefs.js.
The UA settings from the Pro-Addon are also stored inside prefs.js (=aboutconfig) in your profile, just have completely different pref names.

What I found helpful to find changed files, is a file search over the complete KM+profiles folder, and sort them all by date.

After changes, delete again profile/StartupCache folder and perhaps the components/*.dat files.
At next restart open Tools > Error Console, click on "All" button, then disable CSS button.
There may be important hints especially for addon stuff or macros.
A prob can also be manifest files, after addons were removed and added, but am not familiar with such stuff. Only know that looking inside can give hints what's missing or too much.

(_HOWTO_ update KM)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2020 06:25AM by siria.

Re: From 75 Pro to 76 Pro...any way to simply keep profile/settings ??
Posted by: smallhagrid
Date: March 02, 2020 05:44AM

Wow Siria - this was quite the interesting experimentation to do !!
Went through your instructions carefully until I felt OK trying it, then did all you suggested.
It opened - sort of kept some of my stuff with the menus & toolbars all mixed up, so I tried to move stuff around a bit and it crashed each time.

Looks like it is time to see how I can tweak up the newer version to be similar to what I became so accustomed to, but 1st I will try both the Pro and Roytam's out as-is to see if they become crashy running under WINE.
This way I won't expend lots of time & efforts trying to tweak anything that won't work out well for me.

Thanks for your most excellent instructions !!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.