Other custom builds :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All the custom builds, made and/or maintained by users 
CommMeleon2 coming soon!
Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 28, 2012 12:52PM

Now my work on the new build is nearing completion, but some new tasks arrive day by day.

So I open this thread to warm you up the days before 'release'.

What can I say about new build? This isn't just simple update with some new settings or tools (though they are there too!). This would be really new build, which incorporates the best of KM-world and the same time would be useful for a long time regardless of the KM's future.

Moreover, I believe that new build would be new step forward in KM history, new hope for future development and Renaissance era of this beautiful unique peace of software.
So, I expect possible help from you, folks. Only all together we can resurrect this project.

First of all, (now I return to the new build features) it would be at last really fresh package, without my own old profile. I've got deeper in KM's structure to do this, so I say Thanks to this job as it allows me to learn more about KM's (and Gecko's in general) architecture.
On the other hand learning this took some time :drool: so I apologize for current and future possible delays.

To be continued...
P.S. Questions and help offerings are welcome!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CommMeleon2 coming soon!
Date: June 28, 2012 10:13PM

And it would be renamed in order to retain legacy but to keep the name something original :cool:

Date: June 28, 2012 10:14PM

And now I need some help (supposedly from JamesD) in editing my new macro (the first one).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2012 10:14PM by rodocop.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 28, 2012 10:55PM

@ rodocop

I sent you an e-mail so you will have my e-mail address. I will be glad to help.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: llewsrac
Date: June 29, 2012 02:08AM

Awesome...many thanks as in this just awesome news...

Will 1 and 2 be able to run side by side?

CommMeleon1 is my mainstay and really look forward to no2..Does the C have any meaning as in it could be KommMeleon??..just a thought not an issue smiling smiley

Posted by: kingsparrow
Date: June 29, 2012 02:16AM

it's about time..................if you build it they would come. I'm sure the other contributors of K-mel would be glad to help out and see the project alive. Thanks for all your efforts guy's......................

Date: June 29, 2012 11:50AM

llewsrac,
you've partly anticipated my intentions. But... may I retain some intrigue tongue sticking out smiley

Not 1 and 2 side-by-side, but... something better, as I think!

Anyway, any number of KM builds can be run simultaneously - just by adding -new parameter in run command (shortcut or command line).

JamesD, I've received your letter so I'm going to reply with some details... Thank you!

Date: June 29, 2012 01:29PM

One more point about new build.

Now the problem of not working checkbox in

Preferences -> Browsing -> Window diversion -> Open diverted windows in background

is SOLVED!

I've got deeper in chrome files and replaced wrong preference with working one, so now the checkbox is working properly.

What I ask from community - is a button on toolbar which would switch diverted windows mode from foreground to background.

The corresponding preference is named kmeleon.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground

False state (default, box not checked) = Foreground behaviour for diverted (ex.: js-driven) tabs (windows)
True (box in Preferences checked) = background behaviour

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 01:33PM by rodocop.

Date: June 29, 2012 02:01PM

And more news.

Work on new build involves both 1.6 and 1.7 versions.

The main deficiencies of 1.7-branch are:
  1. no working password manager
  2. broken about:config interface - no way to create, delete or edit prefs - just toggle works
  3. no typeahead
  4. no adblock
So in my thoughts first two points and last one could be comparably easy overcomed but there are some questions to community

Solutions for new build:
  1. install LastPassLite extension
    Quiz: alternatives? possible problems?
  2. install Preferential extension (realized)
    Quiz: no one this time.
  3. no typeahead
    Here I'm looking for any possible solution - js, bookmarklets, kmm's or something else if somebody knows one
  4. Privoxy webfilter bundled with KM
    NB! There are at least two side-effects of using Privoxy with KM:
    1) Some little delays in connecting with servers (may be dependent of Privoxy version or filter rules (present in Privoxy config files) number. This need extensive testing and investigation.
    2) The 'Finding Websites' option - very convenient for me - is not working through Privoxy proxy. Just take this in account.

And I have now one more request to all who has the knowledge:

I need the possibly fullest instructions on localizing extensions depending on their type.

I've learned how to localize jar-based extensions.
And I understand that some exe- or dll-dependent extensions, including kplugins cannot be localized without compiling new local dll-s.

But I see some localized things realized through ini- and kml-files and I wonder how to make such localizations and what type of extensions they are suitable for?

Posted by: panzer
Date: June 29, 2012 04:14PM

Please, use some other name like Kameleon or K-MeleonRU ot sth else to evade PR disaster ...

You see, pronouncination of the word Comm is very similar to word c*m, which is heavily used in pron industry.

The other problem is that everybody will think that Comm stands for commercial software and not a freeware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 04:18PM by panzer.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 29, 2012 06:48PM

I don't like CommMeleon too,

Why not K-Meleon2 ?

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 29, 2012 06:50PM

rodocop
But I see some localized things realized through ini- and kml-files and I wonder how to make such localizations and what type of extensions they are suitable for?

All macros can achieve translation with this statement.

$TRANSLATION = _( TEXT );
Replaces TEXT by the specified translation, if any.

Files of type exe and DLL may have to be hexed to do translation. This is a guess, I don't actually know.

Edit: Sent you e-mail with info on kmeleon.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground button.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 06:53PM by JamesD.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 29, 2012 07:29PM

JujuLand

Why not K-Meleon2 ?

A+

I definitely vote for K-Meleon2.

But, in other hand, you (rodocop) are trying to continue the project (or that is what I understood from your interest in the beginning) so, any reason to avoid the K-meleon name?

@JamesD I guess he is compiling and editing the programming, so I don't think there is a need to add complexity by editing with software like ResHack, for example. In this matter I suggest a translation plugin that searches for localized files. Easier to maintain the interface localizations for anyone (I know it is not possible with JAR and macros, it is just a suggestion).

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: June 29, 2012 09:08PM

JamesD
All macros can achieve translation with this statement.

$TRANSLATION = _( TEXT );
Replaces TEXT by the specified translation, if any.

I think it's the simplest way for translation, and it's already a function : _() which search for translation.

JamesD
Files of type exe and DLL may have to be hexed to do translation. This is a guess, I don't actually know.

It's made using resHacker on expurged exe or dll files. I think it's no more difficult to realize than including it in compilation.

The programmer must have all the translation to compile, with all the problem it can handle. The second reason, is that it's easier to add a translation, and more reactive. If an hugarian (for example) wants to translate it, he can work alone and purpose it when it's finished, without making the programmer to wait for.

Rodocop
But I see some localized things realized through ini- and kml-files

For the kml file, I have answered.

For the ini file, there is only one, and it has been the only way I found, to use the good locale for Setup call from K-Meleon. In fact it's called like this:
setdefault fr-FR (or the language you need). If the language isn't inserted in ini file, it uses en-US by default.

Here too, it allows to have translations not included in the setup and which can be made by everyone ...

@Rodocop, you can think it's not too much rigorous, but it's more easy to do and to add, without touching code.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 30, 2012 04:51AM

JohnHell
JujuLand

Why not K-Meleon2 ?

A+

I definitely vote for K-Meleon2.

But, in other hand, you (rodocop) are trying to continue the project (or that is what I understood from your interest in the beginning) so, any reason to avoid the K-meleon name?

@JamesD I guess he is compiling and editing the programming, so I don't think there is a need to add complexity by editing with software like ResHack, for example. In this matter I suggest a translation plugin that searches for localized files. Easier to maintain the interface localizations for anyone (I know it is not possible with JAR and macros, it is just a suggestion).

I would not like K-Meleon2, rather K-MeleonPlus... my reasoning is that the numbering system that K-Meleon has used forever would make everyone think that K-Meleon2 would be an upgrade in gecko from 1.9.xx to 2.xxxx which this is not. In order to get to that newer Gecko engine, C++ needs to be used and that is currently not available. Deadlock I believe is a C programmer but not C++, so that problem still remains.

What do you'all think?

N

Date: July 01, 2012 09:02PM

Don't be so concentrated on the name of this build.

First of all, it's future name would satisfy you all :-)

Second point is that this isn't an official release or even product of official branch.
Moreover, this build isn't about new development - it's just an user friendly envelope, shell for existing KM core.

So I don't think that we obligatorily have to share the perception principles of the main project name with new build.
It's name wouldn't affect on the main project by no means - it's just some mark, some kind of identity for the build, not for whole K-Meleon project ;-)

And once again, new name of CommMeleon would be as close to ideal as possible :-)

Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 01, 2012 10:33PM

rodocop

Second point is that this isn't an official release or even product of official branch.
Moreover, this build isn't about new development - it's just an user friendly envelope, shell for existing KM core.

So I don't think that we obligatorily have to share the perception principles of the main project name with new build.
It's name wouldn't affect on the main project by no means - it's just some mark, some kind of identity for the build, not for whole K-Meleon project ;-)

And once again, new name of CommMeleon would be as close to ideal as possible :-)

rodocop,

You're a bad, bad boy.... hints of a new name we'll all love and adore! HUMPH! <VBG>

But seriously, unless the old developer(s) come back or new ones appear, you, Deadlock and Fred (the short list) are all there are to keep K-Meleon alive.

<sigh>

N

Date: July 01, 2012 10:58PM

Yeah!
It's me! :drool:

But speaking about future of KM, I cannot do more than make current KM user friendlier and search for new coders.

And we all have to do that. (If we need KM alive, of course...)

I need KM in my web-life. Crucially need. And I love our lizard! So I'll do all I can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2012 11:06PM by rodocop.

Date: July 02, 2012 11:50AM

And once again I'm asking for some help - now in the new thread

Date: July 02, 2012 02:57PM

Good news!
3 important steps in building new 'CommMeleon2' (Just codename ;-) are finished!

Now I can confidently say that new build can be usable for a long time as I implemented quick and easy integration of ChromeFrame (look this thread for details).

The ChromeFrame installer is bundled with new build and can be installed in 1 click directly from K-Meleon by pressing toolbar button. After that you have to restart KM and - a little trick! - now the same button would open your page in internal K-meleon's Chrome tab, thanks to disrupted's work.

The second point is that new build would have new icon (and this is not all the story! But the full magic you'll see after loading new build ;-)

And the last goodie is the finished integration of loading diverted windows in background. Now - respect to JamesD - the toolbar button is available to quickly switch foreground/background behavior.

You can use this right now in your current build:
1) download archived WinDivert extension
2) place WinDivert.kmm into Macros folder and bmp-files into your skin folder
3) be sure to do the last important step:
  • find files referring to browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground
    You need 2 of them:
    ..\chrome\kmprefs.jar/content[b]pref-browsing.xul[/b] (just open kmprefs.jar as archive and look inside)
    ..\defaults\pref[b]kmprefs.js[/b]
  • replace them with ones attached here or just find browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground strings there and replace with kmeleon.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground
    pref-browsing.xul must be repacked back into kmprefs.jar
  • tweak kmm, if you need small button (by default it is size-24). Look for help into kmm-file.
  • restart KM

------////////------
The message was updated with new link to better version of WinDivert extension.
Hot/cold button behavior was fixed in new file
- highly recommended to check your kmm:
if the version shown in kmm-file is v0.1 - then update WinDivert to v0.2 clicking the link above in the post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 06:42PM by rodocop.

Posted by: alex88
Date: July 07, 2012 07:46AM

You just update what the settings? As I understand it builds with the latest version of Gecko does not happen?

Date: July 07, 2012 12:21PM

My build is the modified dugbug's builds (in their turn they are based on official 1.6beta or 1.7alpha and latest Gecko of 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 branches)

My part is to tweak some settings for fast and power work, add some 3rd party tools and some extensions (part of them are brand new ones) - to make my build most user friendly, powerful and compatible K-Meleon ever :-)

You are right - the latest Gecko cannot be adapted for K-Meleon now. It is though possible in theory but we lack of C++ developer for make needed coding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2012 12:22PM by rodocop.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: July 11, 2012 05:11PM

i wonder if there will be a native 64bit version of CommMeleon2 as well as a 32bit version, rodocop. 64bit computers are becoming more common lately.

Posted by: panzer
Date: July 11, 2012 07:09PM

rodocop

:-)

K-Meleon Vodka? You got to be kidding us, right? ... grinning smiley

Date: July 11, 2012 09:15PM

4td8s,
I wonder too :-)
I'm not the code developer, so all I can is to make the buzz about KM and get the best from it for all :-)

I believe if we would act joined we could get it back to the life.

Date: July 12, 2012 10:18AM

panzer,
beautiful idea - for russian version of KM :-)

K-Meleon Vodka - connecting people! grinning smiley

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: September 15, 2012 02:14PM

Just a question of a very very interested k-meleon-user : how soon is soon ? Be it the best k-meleon ever !!

Mala Olek

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.