Other custom builds :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All the custom builds, made and/or maintained by users 
New CommMeleon goodies - quiz and listings
Posted by: rodocop
Date: July 02, 2012 11:43AM

Dear community!

As I want new build be as user friendly as possible I want it could address most frequent issues from newcomers.

For this purpose I'm planning to include (or have done it already) number of possible goodies - some of them you can see in the first CommMeleon build, and some would be newly included ones.

So I need your help in compiling 2 important lists:

1) first one - the list of most wanted extensions to be included into build a priori.
Some of them are there already (inserted by dugbug or by myself). Some of them I plan to include now.

It would help me if you tell me here 5 most needed extensions you use or want to use in KM.

2) The second point is the UA-spoofing issue (look for most popular threads in Bugs and Improvement request subforums).
I want to integrate Auto Agentswitch extension and fill in the list of most popular sites what need spoofing.
Help me make this list more complete, universal by adding more sites like:
gmail.com
facebook.com
msn.com
hotmail.com
yandex.ru
etc. ...

Why I'm not going to make some fresh FF default UserAgent string?
Well, first reason is that sometime very new FF strings are not working fine with KM (and my general recommendation is to use 3.6.28 string - for example, the one I use now
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/3.6.28
The second - and the main reason is security. When you surf as Firefox you are at heightened risk of malware intrusion in comparison with K-Meleon default UA. Why? It's simple - much of new malware is browser-specific: when you visit infected page or run malicious script, malware checks you browser (usually by user-agent string - the most easy way) and loads that variation of code that is prepared for this specific browser.
As KM is Gecko based, ff-ready malware has more chances to infect you PC through KM too.

With this in mind, its more secure way to browse in KM with Opera, Chrome, IE strings (than modern malware would be spoofed) or with default KM string which is almost unknown, exotic so malware could be stopped on the first stage.

But when you really need to spoof good sites the best way is to emulate FireFox. So I decide to use Auto Agentswitch.

3) The third... I've said "two lists"?! Oh, sorry! There is a subject for the third one but this needs some more work than usual.
It's about overscripting prevention on some js-heavy sites with Policies Manager extension.

Sometime such a site won't work in KM but some restrictions made by policies could get it back to life. (the example of problem and solution can be found in this thread)

So what I need (not necessarily in the near future) is to help in finding such sites and trying to 'cure' them in KM by Policies Manager.

I see it that way: every user can report the 'bad' site and then every power user who understands using PM and other techniques can try to find solution for this particular site.

Than we can create policies that cover most frequent troubles and integrate it in next builds by default.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 02:58PM by rodocop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New CommMeleon goodies - quiz and listings
Posted by: soccerfan
Date: July 10, 2012 12:43PM

Thank you for your work. My request:
I would like to see a proxy switcher extension in your default build
(I often use proxomitron as a local proxy to filter web content).
Many thanks.

soccerfan

Date: July 10, 2012 01:21PM

soccerfan,
I have the Privoxy switcher for the same needs in new build - would you like to see it configurable through GUI to use with your desired web filter or you can adapt it by yourself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 01:23PM by rodocop.

Date: July 10, 2012 06:57PM

rodocop
soccerfan,
I have the Privoxy switcher for the same needs in new build - would you like to see it configurable through GUI to use with your desired web filter or you can adapt it by yourself?

I would like to see it configurable through GUI (if at all possible). Thanks!
EDIT: For its http proxy, proxomitron uses 127.0.0.1:8080 (or localhost:8080).

soccerfan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 07:38PM by soccerfan.

Date: July 10, 2012 07:36PM

Thank you for your feedback!

I can't promise this to you but the work on adding such functionality now is on and I think it would be possible over time.

Date: July 10, 2012 07:39PM

I was editing my previous post while you wrote your last one.
Thanks for taking this into consideration as your time permits.

soccerfan

Date: July 10, 2012 07:52PM

Here in extensions I've placed my extension for Privoxy.

You can easily adapt it for Proxomitron.

If you need some help, I'll learn you this how-to step by step. But not now, sorry. Maybe - tomorrow?

Ask your quiz in linked thread, please!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 07:52PM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.