Other custom builds :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All the custom builds, made and/or maintained by users 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: CommMeleon2??? Oh, No! K-Meleon Twin+ is here!!!
Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 12, 2012 12:40PM

@ Michael

Let us check to see if file you got was broken or your 7zip program is a problem. This is not twin, but is the KM that I use all the time.

I am not saying that you should use this one but many people have and no one has reported a bad 7z file.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot4_en-US.7z

If this extracts OK, I can move a copy of twin to my dropbox for you.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: km2
Date: December 12, 2012 01:06PM

update 7-zip to 9.30 alpha, maybe.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 12, 2012 02:57PM

New links to download KM Twin:

1) K-Meleon Twin+

2) K-Meleon Twin+

Check the file size after download - 17 791 712 bytes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2012 03:03PM by rodocop.

Posted by: Michael
Date: December 12, 2012 07:11PM

Thanks a lot guys,

I did think maybe it was my 7zip software so reinstalled it, but the problem remained the same. The new 7zip file that you've loaded up downloads and extracts fine, so it was definitely the original 7zip file that was the problem. Thank you for loading up the new one.

I've managed to extract it to its own new folder in my programs. I also used the synch tool to port over my 1.54 settings to the new folder. I then managed to stat Twin. There were however, a few strange things:

1) Starting Twin shut down 1.54...is that supposed to happen? Can I not use both at the same time?

2) Twin said it was 1.54 instead of Twin, but I know it was Twin as it had the new buttons specific to Twin. So, I was left a little confused. Is it supposed to do that?

3) My skin and settings seemed to be ported over fine, only it appeared that not all my windows and tabs had been ported over from 1.54. In 1.54 I'd had 30 windows open but Twin opened only 15. Moreover, within a window where I'd had 10 tabs opened there was only one in Twin and so on. It seemed a lot of my windows and tabs had become lost in the porting over of settings. This makes me rather nervous about using it as I'm afraid of losing all my stuff.

Thanks again for all your help.

PS: It would be really nice to be able to use the synch tool without it having to close K-meleon to do it. That's a real drag if you happen to have a lot of windows and tabs open and then have to reload the whole thing.

Date: December 12, 2012 09:28PM

Michael
Thanks a lot guys,

I did think maybe it was my 7zip software so reinstalled it, but the problem remained the same. The new 7zip file that you've loaded up downloads and extracts fine, so it was definitely the original 7zip file that was the problem. Thank you for loading up the new one.

Maybe not file but just server response. Sometimes old links become unavailable for some unknown reason.

Michael
1) Starting Twin shut down 1.54...is that supposed to happen? Can I not use both at the same time?

Not. It's abnormal.
Different KM instances could be run using the parameter -new in shortcut.
How did you perform the sync? May be this is the cause.

Michael
2) Twin said it was 1.54 instead of Twin, but I know it was Twin as it had the new buttons specific to Twin. So, I was left a little confused. Is it supposed to do that?

It seems like you've pointed Twin to the 1.5.4-profile's folder instead of real sync (copying settings from old profile to new one)
Twin holds the profile portable - inside its own working folder and 1.5.4, I think, uses system path like
Documents and Settings\...\Application data\K-Meleon
or
Users\...\Appdata\K-Meleon

Michael
3) My skin and settings seemed to be ported over fine, only it appeared that not all my windows and tabs had been ported over from 1.54. In 1.54 I'd had 30 windows open but Twin opened only 15. Moreover, within a window where I'd had 10 tabs opened there was only one in Twin and so on. It seemed a lot of my windows and tabs had become lost in the porting over of settings. This makes me rather nervous about using it as I'm afraid of losing all my stuff.

It's not a good way to keep more than one window in work. Potentially problematic.
I can't reproduce this issue.
Use KM Groups instead - install this extension and save every window tabs as groups for further use

But I have an advice for your situation:

1) look into your old (1.5.4's) profile folder and find prefs.js
2) open it with text editor
3) find lines of such a type
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.somename.count", 1);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.somename.window0", "19  64	 49  1000 ... ");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.somename.window0.count", 13);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.somename.window0.tab0", "49  48 http://somelink.html);
4) select all the lines with kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.xxx and copy them to clipboard (Ctrl+C)
5) then find prefs.js in new Twin profile and replace the same type lines with ones from clipboard (Ctrl+V)

this must transfer all your windows and tabs to new K-Meleon.

Date: December 12, 2012 11:47PM

Thanks rodocop,

After a lot of fiddling around I now seem to have it all set perfectly. I appear now to have only one issue. Earlier in the thread you recommended that we enable Twin-Tune under Tools>>>Twin-Tune. I don't seem to have it. In my tools menu there is no 'Twin-Tune'. Or am I supposed to do or install something else first?

Thanks again for your help!

What's different about 'groups' by the way?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 12:57AM by Michael.

Date: December 13, 2012 01:18AM

caktus
At times twin+ works great even though I have dialup with a 56k modem which connects at about 26k these days, loading web pages at least twice as fast as 1.5.4. However, when I attempt to load more than about 8 tabs, twin+ crashes.

Also, when I attempt to access web pages after starting/restarting the computer, twin+ is in Work-Offline mode even though there is no check-mark beside File > Work-Offline and I have to toggle the Work-Offline mode twice before I can load web pages. This problem also occurs [sometimes] when reopening twin+ for a new session.

Could someone please help me fix these problems.

Thank you.

I was thinking...maybe your problem (or part of it) is being caused by a script running on one or more of the sites you have open in tabs. I know from experience, certain scripts can cause havoc in the browser (crashes, pages refusing to load, maxing memory etc). It may be worth running the browser for a few sessions with javascript disabled and seeing if that makes a difference.

Date: December 13, 2012 08:39AM

Michael
I don't seem to have it. In my tools menu there is no 'Twin-Tune'.

This is another evidence that you are using old 1.5.4 profile with Twin, not its own new one.
The Twin-Tune and Twin-Setup macros are placed in every new Twin profile when it's created.

If you don't have these menu items - then it means you haven't created new Twin profile.

WHAT TO DO NOW?
Reunpack KM Twin in new folder; run it for the first time -> new profile will be created in K-meleon Twin+\Profiles. Close Twin.

Than go to the old profile's folder and copy all the content from there to the new Twin profile overwriting existing files.

Also copy skins folder from old installation to the new one - with overwrite
Also copy macros folder WITHOUT OVERWRITING - e.g. copy only files that are not present in Twin macros folder.
The same way copy chrome folder - WITHOUT OVERWRITING.

If something doesn't work in Twin after that also copy next folders
OVERWRITE:
tools; dictionaries; kmextensions
WITHOUT OVERWRITING (only absent in Twin files):
components; kplugins; modules

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 08:40AM by rodocop.

Date: December 13, 2012 08:48AM

Michael
What's different about 'groups' by the way?

Groups are like sessions - they store info about opened tabs. Unlike sessions they can be opened in addition to the currently opened sites - not instead them.

Then you can export any Group into the ini-file and then open this Group in the other KM instance (if it does have Groups installed).

It is very convenient to create thematic sets of tabs opened - and save them as Groups for further use.

Date: December 13, 2012 03:56PM

rodocop
Michael

This is another evidence that you are using old 1.5.4 profile with Twin, not its own new one.
The Twin-Tune and Twin-Setup macros are placed in every new Twin profile when it's created.

If you don't have these menu items - then it means you haven't created new Twin profile.

WHAT TO DO NOW?
Reunpack KM Twin in new folder; run it for the first time -> new profile will be created in K-meleon Twin+\Profiles. Close Twin.

Than go to the old profile's folder and copy all the content from there to the new Twin profile overwriting existing files.

Also copy macros folder WITHOUT OVERWRITING - e.g. copy only files that are not present in Twin macros folder.

OVERWRITE:

Thank you for your reply,

But then, would I not lose all my settings that I'd synched over from 1.54? And if so, does it mean that I therefore have to choose between Tune and my settings?

I already have the chrome button in Twin by the way and managed to install it okay. At least, I think I did. I haven't tried it a site yet. It's just Tune that seems to be missing as it looks like I have all the other new options.

Date: December 13, 2012 06:24PM

Michael
Thank you for your reply,

But then, would I not lose all my settings that I'd synched over from 1.54? And if so, does it mean that I therefore have to choose between Tune and my settings?

Take the new 'installation' by unpacking Twin.7z into NEW folder. Then try to synchronize like was written. This wouldn't affect your current KM-instance. You can have as much Twin-instances side by side as you want.
They don't interfere each other as they are fully portable.

Michael
I already have the chrome button in Twin by the way and managed to install it okay. At least, I think I did. I haven't tried it a site yet. It's just Tune that seems to be missing as it looks like I have all the other new options.

Yes, this is because all stuff is placed in working KM-folder and only some macros, reflected in Tools menu (including Twin-Tune), are placed into user profile folder.

So if all works properly now then don't touch it. Just go to K-Meleon Twin+\defaults\profile and copy the macros subfolder to your profile folder. Twin-Tune will appear in menu after restart.

Posted by: caktus
Date: December 14, 2012 04:37PM

Michael
caktus
At times twin+ works great even though I have dialup with a 56k modem which connects at about 26k these days, loading web pages at least twice as fast as 1.5.4. However, when I attempt to load more than about 8 tabs, twin+ crashes.

Also, when I attempt to access web pages after starting/restarting the computer, twin+ is in Work-Offline mode even though there is no check-mark beside File > Work-Offline and I have to toggle the Work-Offline mode twice before I can load web pages. This problem also occurs [sometimes] when reopening twin+ for a new session.

Could someone please help me fix these problems.

Thank you.

I was thinking...maybe your problem (or part of it) is being caused by a script running on one or more of the sites you have open in tabs. I know from experience, certain scripts can cause havoc in the browser (crashes, pages refusing to load, maxing memory etc). It may be worth running the browser for a few sessions with javascript disabled and seeing if that makes a difference.

Thank you, Michael.

javascript disabled seems to have done the trick. So far, no mem problems, crashing or starting up Off-line. smiling smiley File > Off-line mode still shows no check mark when selected, any ideas on that?

EDIT: With js disabled the images, Smiley buttons, etc. are not present in the forum replsy/quote dialog box. Using Policies Manager I have enabled js for http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net but still no images/buttons. Any way to work around this?

Edit: Now the Off-line mode after browser restart problem has read it ugly head again. I'm beginning to think maybe I'd be better off just going back to 1.5.4 since it seems to be only me that's plagued by most of these problems.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2012 05:27PM by caktus.

Date: December 15, 2012 01:05AM

caktus
With js disabled the images, Smiley buttons, etc. are not present in the forum replsy/quote dialog box. Using Policies Manager I have enabled js for http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net but still no images/buttons. Any way to work around this?

I think that the I had to do this on my system was to enable Javascript in preferences and have the default for Javascript in Policies Manager as disabled. Then you can have the forum URL domain in an enabled list in Policies Manaager.

The preferences Javascript disabled overrides other switches. smiling smiley

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: December 15, 2012 02:13PM

================================================== |another 12 ways to download K-Meleon Twin+| ==================================================

Posted by: Kleon
Date: December 15, 2012 06:23PM

Thanks 12 times (and several times more!), Rodocop.

I now have K-Meleon Twin+ up and running. And it did not disappoint me!

smiling smiley

——————————————————————————
Windows XP Pro SP3 | K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta2
Trying out various subspecies of the lizard smiling smiley

Posted by: justemoi
Date: December 16, 2012 03:05PM

caktus
when I attempt to load more than about 8 tabs, twin+ crashes.
Do you happen to have a tiny value for "min button width"? If yes, try a greater one, at least 8 mm (F2/Tabbed Browsing/Tab Bar)
Guess I had a similar bug long ago, with Vista and an older KM-beta, if that value was too tiny, some issue with icon size in tab bar... If not, it's yet another bug or perhaps just your system winking smiley

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: December 26, 2012 05:55AM

many thanks, rodocop!

now i'm using twin+ now, it's very good.

Date: December 26, 2012 07:45AM

thank you for feedback, chinarobin!

Have a good time with K-Meleon! And remember - the Happy New Twin is coming! grinning smiley

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: December 26, 2012 12:56PM

rodocop
thank you for feedback, chinarobin!

Have a good time with K-Meleon! And remember - the Happy New Twin is coming! grinning smiley

You are so diligent and i will test your new builds then. 1.7 seems a little faster when loading pages, but without adbock, it's really a pitty.

Posted by: adXok
Date: January 29, 2013 07:56PM

So where is K-meleon Twin+
???

Date: January 29, 2013 11:17PM

I think the link is in Rodocop's post. Click on the blue text after the word recommending.

JamesD

Posted by: kenshiro
Date: January 31, 2013 07:54PM

I'm loving the Twin++ version, but I noticed an annoying problem.
Anyone else having problems with google maps? The site loads normally, but when I grab on the little yellow doll and drag it to the map, the browser freezes and lock up , then the only way to restart the browser is using Crt+Del+Alt and killing the browser .
The strange thing is that K-Meleon version 1.6 or 1.5a are running Ok with google maps .
Does the problem is only with me ?
My system :
Desktop, WinXP, java 7.1.

Thanks for any kind of tip or help , and thanks for keeping working with this expceptional little fast browser .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2013 10:27PM by kenshiro.

Posted by: kenshiro
Date: February 01, 2013 03:54PM

I did solved the problem . I just used the ChromeTab Button and worked perfectlysmiling smileysmiling smiley

Date: February 01, 2013 09:18PM

My Twin works properly on Google maps with that doll.

This is the case of your personal config.

Sometimes it's characteristic for KM - when I copy the same working portable installation to different PCs, I can get strange effects like - for example - some inactivated hotkeys. They don't work on new PC and even disappear from menus, but the same copy works pretty good being copied back or 'ported' to some third PC.

I don't know why and have no thoughts about reasons of such a unusual behaviour...

Maybe old KMeleonairies could know better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2013 09:19PM by rodocop.

Date: April 05, 2013 02:03PM

As all 12 latest links are dead now, I've updated the first post of this thread with new link

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: April 11, 2013 12:00AM

kenshiro
My system :
Desktop, WinXP, java 7.1.

hmm, why are you using java 7.1, kenshiro?
if it's the sun java software from oracle systems you should un-install it.
fewer web sites hardly use java nowadays. k-meleon twin+ can run better without java.

Date: April 14, 2013 03:54PM

rodocop
Michael

WHAT TO DO NOW?

OVERWRITE:

Okay,

Finally I'm back. I've now finally completely given up with this. I tried what you instructed above. But, it changed nothing...I still had all of the Twin+ settings and skins and none of my settings as in 1.54. So, I then synchronised my settings over from 1.54 and that just turned Twin+ into 1.54!

It seems to me that it's absolutely impossible to upgrade from 1.54 to Twin+ and retain ones settings. Therefore, I'll stick to 1.54.

If this is to work then you guys need to devise a SIMPLE way for users to upgrade to it without losing their settings. Currently, it's an ordeal (and still doesn't work).

Date: November 11, 2013 05:41PM

K-Meleon Twin+ is slightly updated (new extensions from adodupan, JamesD and some more stuff).

Links are updated too (dead links deleted, new better mirrors added). Read the first post, download and enjoy, while community makes a better v74.

Re: K-Meleon Twin+ is here!!!
Posted by: vtsnaab
Date: March 06, 2015 05:24AM

I use it and think it is great.

Any chance it will be updated again with the newest version of K-Meleon ??

Thanks.

Re: K-Meleon Twin+ is here!!!
Date: March 06, 2015 06:10AM

I think I'll create next Twin after final release of KM75.

Glad it works fine for you! Thank you!

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.