Other custom builds :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All the custom builds, made and/or maintained by users 
K-Meleon Twin - Losing bookmark folder content!!
Posted by: macbear34
Date: February 16, 2013 02:46AM

Running MS XP ser.pk.3. I setup my bookmarks in km twin- import bookmarks from html file and arrange about 12 bkmks in personel bkmk folder. Every thing works fine. I also make a backup in the bkmk section. Turn off computer. When I restart computer and start up km as my browser and go to my bkmks I have lost everything. When I go to edit bkmks all it shows is All bkmks. All the other items such as personel tool bar folder and the othewr items listed are gone!! I go to bkmk backup and hit restore nothing happens. I am somewhat of a novice at this. I enjoy using km twin but it is very frustrating to lose all .my bkmk settings. If I uninstall and reinstall km twin my bkmk folder only shows All bkmks and nothing else. I have to uninstall and then use seach feature to remove everything labeled km twin and then reinstall and ever thing shows up in the bkmk folder. Then I have import and start all over again. Any help as to how to retain my bkmk folder or how to get bkmk folder to go back showing all the folders under it so I don't have go thru uninstall,search and reinstall every time I lose my bkmks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon Twin - Losing bookmark folder content!!
Posted by: guenter
Date: February 16, 2013 04:30PM

I download the Twin version to see. It is a portable/win98 setup type that creates its profiles folder in the setup directory of ./Programs/K-Meleon (I use project typical default names instead of K-Meleon Twin or K-Meleon Twin+) where You do not have writing privileges as a normal user.

Three possible solutions exist.

1.) use K-Meleon as Admin
2.) grant writings rights to ./programs/k-meleon/Profiles
via normal routine "Focus on folder & Right click on properties...."
3.) delete ./programs/k-meleon/profile.ini so that a new ./K-Meleon/Profiles folder is created in the default %appdata% folder/location of You OS. You have automatically writing rights there.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 17, 2013 02:09AM

4) Unpack KM Twin not into system folder (like Program Files) but in some else one, where you have all access rights as user.

Portable builds are very convenient because of this. And you don't need to find leftovers through all PC when deleting KM portable build like Twin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 02:11AM by rodocop.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 17, 2013 04:02AM

rodocop
Portable builds are very convenient because of this. And you don't need to find leftovers through all PC when deleting KM portable build like Twin.

Yes on 4.) E.G, user data folder. So that only Admin and User can reach its data.

This etup can also be used to synchronize data easily. You know exactly where the
user Profile is and can copy its content to another Profile on another PC or USB. That transfers bookmarks, passwords, history...

Portable setups are also convenient for testing and special uses like banking since they do not share their profile data with other K-Meleons.

So You cannot break or compromise anything.

Specially configured versions can be fired up with

C:\banker1.5.4en-US\k-meleon.exe -new

and used e.g. for banking while others are used for going to potentially dangerous sites.

p.s. I do use all my K-Meleons as portable setup for the later reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 04:07AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.