Other custom builds :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All the custom builds, made and/or maintained by users 
74 patched for 4 Win 2000 by aimfiend /Original Thread Name / Reporting Windows 2000 errors and K-meleon 74 (b2)
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 02, 2014 07:31PM

I open this thread to avoid mixing things and because they are not problems with K-meleon itself but with something else.

Said this...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2017 01:21PM by guenter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reporting Windows 2000 errors and K-meleon 74 (b2)
Date: March 02, 2014 07:34PM

This one has been hard to catch where it was comming from.

I wasn't able to save files receiving this error
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Source_file_could_not_be_read (this fix is for older GRE/seamonkey/firefox, I just post it for reference).

After several tests I found that K-meleon 74b2 couldn't save a file in a partition/volume/driver letter/path if in that one isn't the windows temp folder set in the user environment variables.

Let's say we set temp folder in F:\temp. We could save in every path of F:. If we try any other letter/path, it will give the error above. For example, if we try to save to C:, as the user temporary folder isn't set on C: will be impossible to save on any path of C:.

Note: Firefox 24/27 has the same problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2014 07:35PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: aimfiend
Date: March 02, 2014 09:38PM

anyone need win2000 version of K74
please try this patched version for win2k only
http://dl.vmall.com/c04z9azpkk
it is in chinese ,just click the filename to download directlygrinning smileyenjoy!

Date: March 03, 2014 02:04AM

aimfiend
anyone need win2000 version of K74
please try this patched version for win2k only
http://dl.vmall.com/c04z9azpkk

Thanks... I read quick over something about a 1.8.x branch but I didn't pay attention.

Anyway, I see that this version, having a quick look over the main folder, what it has is what I did with K-meleon 74b2, use dll wrappers.

Did you compile it for yourself? I can't see anywhere in the forum, but I'm tired, maybe it's somewhere.

Anyway, what I have seen in the couple of seconds I tested, it is that most of things broken that made me waste a lot of time this past week with KM74b2 are fixed in this version.

If the 1.8.x branch is as functional as this Win2k sub-version I think it's the one that should be in the main page, not K-meleon 74b2, because Km74b2 is not problematic only in Windows 2000, it's in XP too.

But I leave it for today. Believe it or not, I'm tired trying to "fix" the broken in 74b2.

You'd gave fresh air to me. I'll see what is capable this version tomorrow.

aimfiend
it is in chinese ,just click the filename to download directlygrinning smileyenjoy!

No, it is not in chinesse.

It run in english in my system (even if it is not in my system language but I don't care english or my language, with chinesse I would have quite a few troubles tongue sticking out smiley ).

Thanks for this version.

Date: March 03, 2014 02:33AM

Nah, they (your compile and the 1.8 using my own wrappers) behave the same way about saving in a different path than where is set the user temp folder.

I know is a strange bug, but I'm those with a few of drives/paths, not only the system one.

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: March 03, 2014 10:05AM

@aimfiend

I am very interested in your new version but for some reason or other at the end of the download it is refused by avast. Could you perhaps resend another link please?

Thx a lot in advance.

Mala

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 03, 2014 01:49PM

Mala Okeh
@aimfiend

I am very interested in your new version but for some reason or other at the end of the download it is refused by avast. Could you perhaps resend another link please?

There is an ocx or other active content at the main page.
Security software does not like it.

Try with this deep link without touching the main page.
I had to use Firefox esr 24 because K-Meleon's download man gave me trouble.

http://222.142.58.10/file/MDAwMDAwMDESz0WyfYRoa85Z4linTavamhUX47yBPOICyOlYrWKkhQ../fc53acf6b62c874f13ff7923b692a25114b9e28/kmeleon%20for%202k.1.8.0.build.19.rar?key=AAABQFMUmaab7rzl&p=&a=76483-4fee200e-48049-0/010100&mode=download

Also avast may raise alarm because of the wrapper.
Avira free did not raise any alarm.

Date: March 03, 2014 02:09PM

It's the wrapper indeed.

The file userxp.dll, at least, is what alerts ClamWin antivirus. That's why I preferred to try to use the wrappers my way.

But Antivirus at jotti.org didn't say that (but are linux based antivirus). The rar file:
http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/cd52b1b5f33afb31c48f9eb555a5cff39a8f6b33

The userxp.dll file:
http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/6f91a3ac470d6823e32fc7f360a202995e981784

I run it, and I try to be quite cautious with these things and I hadn't any problem on my systems, virtual and hosts. No modifications or infections at sight.

Date: March 04, 2014 09:21PM

Ya, it's windows 2000 wrapper , blackwingcat made it and name it kdw , u may google it :cool:
k74 still not quite stable , looking forward to the next release ... btw: it is amazingly fast in win2k on my old P4 with 750m mem, beat every release of firefox and run far more steady than anyother km ,never hangup never breakdown:drool:

Date: March 04, 2014 09:39PM

there are two windows 2000 wrappers avaliable
one is made by japanese guy blackwingcat, KDW KnownDlls Wrapper http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/
the other is by OldCigarette , some guy from http://win2kgaming.prophpbb.com/ tryto make software running on win2k impossible possiblegrinning smiley

the kernelxp.dll file from blackwingcat was reported by nod32 kinda virus, so I replaced it with oldcigarette's file, it passed as long as it goes now.
it is still not stalbe , no tweaking no tuning , still lots of missing function according to my dependency walking:s

Date: March 04, 2014 10:15PM

I know both. I recognized the you used the KDW because of 2k.dll.

I use the Win2kgaming forum.

That about missing dependencies is because both are old.

The supposed next step is kernelEx for Windows 2000, but I don't want to switch to it. I think it's just go so far. Before that, better to switch OS.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 05, 2014 12:02AM

I'm quite happy really with KernelEx for win98. It has an option whether by default it shall be off or on, and I have it off, so have still a rather original system. Only if needed I switch it on for some programs.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: June 04, 2014 04:44PM

siria
I'm quite happy really with KernelEx for win98. It has an option whether by default it shall be off or on, and I have it off, so have still a rather original system. Only if needed I switch it on for some programs.

but K-meleon 74 still doesn't work on Win98 even with KernelEx installed.
KM74 still produces "link to missing export kernel32.dll" errors on 98.
definitely needs XP or higher to use.

Date: June 04, 2014 06:11PM

4td8s

...without any other dependency in form of KernelEx or Wrappers.

Remember that I'm using Wrappers on Windows 2000. If not, I couldn't either.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: June 05, 2014 04:04PM

I used to have Win2k SP4 with unofficial kernel32 patch or "known dll wrapper" (KDW-FCWin2k) from blackwingcat. either one was awesome. now I'm using XP SP3.

K-meleon 74 beta 4 recently came out and aimfiend hasn't made a win2k specific version yet.

Date: June 07, 2014 06:19PM

4td8s
siria

but K-meleon 74 still doesn't work on Win98 even with KernelEx installed.
KM74 still produces "link to missing export kernel32.dll" errors on 98.

All this version needs to run on Win2000 is a kernel.dll version 5.00.2195.7139.
That adds a function AFAIK called HeapQueryInformation. That is not in SP4 but came later. I only had to get that file from the German server 2000 update and put it into my Win2000 Professional. And GDIplus from another OS on that PC.

All the rest about which wrapper to use instead of the original XP or higher dll is patched or compiled into each dll and exe that needs it. The wrappers are in the folder as runtimes.

This makes this version end user proof. Completely fool proof. Even a DAU that has updated to this Kernel.dll and has installed .net 1.1 runtimes can use this K-Meleon. Fire and forget no configuring of the wrappers needed.

Even more, both of the MSVC 10 runtimes have been patched (probably or maybe compiled from the sources?) to use the wrapper dlls' exports instead of the XP dlls' exports. They and the wrappers are like matched pairs.

For Win98 with Kernel EX You probably have to set it to compatibility with Win2000. If You set it to XP this patched K-Meleon will not work.
Function not found.

The same deal happens under XP SP3. Where it shuts down with function not found.

& Exit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 03:47PM by guenter.

Date: December 26, 2017 01:18PM

I should still have an archived copy of aimfiend's patched version.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.