Other custom builds :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
All the custom builds, made and/or maintained by users 
K-Meleon 1.5.x with TLS 1.2 Support
Posted by: callahan
Date: December 25, 2019 09:04AM

If anyone here is interested ... roytam1 over at the MSFN forum posted this K-Meleon version five hours ago. It was a request ...

12/5/2019 at 3:20 PM, ClassicNick said:

I personally would like to see a build of K-Meleon 1.5.x with TLS 1.2 support

roytam1 - Posted 5 hours ago

Merry Christmas!

http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/K-Meleon1.5.4en-US.tls12.7z

most of GRE components are replaced with Retrozilla-based build (but not all)

----------------------------------------------------------

MSFN Forum Page 37

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/page/37/#comments

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon 1.5.x with TLS 1.2 Support
Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 25, 2019 11:09AM

Great Christmas gift! Really like these roytam's efforts!

K-Meleon 1.5.x with TLS 1.2 Support version
Posted by: roytam1
Date: January 08, 2020 04:03AM

callahan
If anyone here is interested ... roytam1 over at the MSFN forum posted this K-Meleon version five hours ago. It was a request ...

Merry Christmas!

MSFN Forum Page 37

archive updated with sha256 and sha384 support.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2023 12:31AM by JohnHell.

Re: K-Meleon 1.5.4 with TLS1.2 Support (v2 with sha256 sha384)
Posted by: siria
Date: January 08, 2020 01:09PM

Thank you very much!
Highly important update for vanilla Win98 computers, with TLS1.2 and SHA256 SHA384, to finally get access to today's internet again. Guess KM is now the third retro browser, along with the Retrozilla builds, of those I'm aware of.

Only a pity that probably hardly anyone will discover it here in this Unofficial Builds sub-sub-forum (sigh)
And just copying your screenshot below, from the MSFN-forum last year (from the XP-section, also very hard to discover by interested Win98 users, sigh)

v1 https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/page/37/#comments
v2 https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/?do=findComment&comment=1175918
(v1+v2 same filenames)

Re: K-Meleon 1.5.x with TLS 1.2 Support version
Date: January 30, 2020 12:52PM

and for VC6, NSS-3.21.4 with TenFourFox's SHA384 port seems reaching the end of rail, ChaCha20-Poly1305 looks like hard to port but it is finished. smiling smiley

archive updated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2020 10:28AM by roytam1.

Posted by: WasiFH
Date: February 06, 2020 07:50PM

Thank you very much really appreciate it, you know what? I still keep my win98 SE on the same machine where XP SP3 is, Generic vga drivers. 512 mb mem limit in system.ini and HIMEMX.EXE in config.sys on this core 2 quad pc. Just left for some time just because of internet, now it is again in the show. THANKS

Posted by: Tomas Sandfors
Date: February 02, 2021 05:26AM

Thank you very much!
This was exactly what i needed :-) I am on a misson to setup and make use of all my old computers to play some old and long forgotten great games.
This was greatly appriciated! :-)

Posted by: RetroGeekGal
Date: April 09, 2021 12:57AM

Thank you! I really love not having to leave my desktop to go look for online retro game servers whene I'm already on my retro DOS/Win95 PC smiling smiley

Is there even the remotsest chance of a fork of a later browser with broader website compatability (e.g., HTML5 and TLS 1.3) for Win9x platforms?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2021 07:49PM by RetroGeekGal.

Posted by: Koppany
Date: September 26, 2021 07:26PM

Many, many Thanks! k-meleon is the only browser that I can use on my windows 95 hobby machine so I can even enjoy browsing. I hope it will continue to develop for win9x as well.

Posted by: RJJIII
Date: March 05, 2022 04:35AM

Just tested this out in a virtual machine. Using 98 was too much nostalgia. I could all but hear the dial-up modem. I built an NSIS installer for Windows98. This is mostly just a self-extracting archive (check the NSIS script for details) but should make things much smoother when setting up on 98 where it may be a hassle to get 7zip and all the required files:

Wiki page:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/InstallerForWindows98

SourceForge page:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/unofficial-installerforwin98/

Direct download link:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/unofficial-installerforwin98/files/latest/download

(And I'll try to get this up on OldVersion.com since they use regular HTTP links. If anyone mirrors this on an HTTP server feel free to post a link.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2022 11:56PM by RJJIII.

Date: May 25, 2022 05:47PM

Any chance of TLS 1.3 and some way to import current CA certs so that sites with SSL certificates from issuers with "expired" CA signing certs can be fixed?

Thanks smiling smiley

Posted by: Koppany
Date: July 07, 2022 11:42AM

Thank You!

The installer don't work on Windows 95 Osr 2.5.

Date: July 08, 2022 02:04AM

Koppany
Thank You!

The installer don't work on Windows 95 Osr 2.5.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll test the installer this weekend to see what's wrong. When you say it doesn't work, do you mean that it doesn't unpack K-Meleon? Or do you get an installation of K-Meleon that doesn't work?

Edit:
I've updated the installer on Sourceforge. (I'll update GitHub soon.) This is a much simpler installer that just unpacks the archive. It should avoid any NSIS bugs on Windows 95/98. However, after testing I wasn't able to get km 1.5.4 to run on vanilla 95. You could look into KernelEx (to run 98/2000 apps) or Retrozilla (an older version of Firefox with updated TLS)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2022 07:09AM by RJJIII.

Date: December 09, 2022 11:17AM

callahan

Merry Christmas!

MSFN Forum Page 37

archive updated (same URL) for updating builtin cert store and zlib.
all DLLs are rebuilt from my reverted-branding of retrozilla repo.

Date: December 16, 2022 03:27PM

RJJIII
However, after testing I wasn't able to get km 1.5.4 to run on vanilla 95.

KM 1.5 needs at least COMCTL32.DLL version 4.71 (from IE4) in order to startup. with COMCTL32-v4 the menu bar should use non-toolbar version.
to get menu toolbar working you'll need COMCTL32.DLL v5 (from IE5).
for best result(getting address bar working) you will need COMCTL32.DLL v5.81/5.82 from IE5.5.

and for win95 TCP/IP networking, DUN 1.4 for Win95 has to be installed in order to make KM connecting internet correctly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2022 04:00AM by roytam1.

Date: December 17, 2022 08:05PM

Thanks Roytam! I tested the new release on Windows 95, 98, and 2k. I updated the installer with your new ciphers.

I updated the documentation with an explanation for running on Windows 95. The browser seems to run fine on Windows 95 with both 5.0 and 5.82. Connecting to the internet felt more complicated than I remember and I got some random errors including 403 for these forums even though the main site works just fine. Overall still cool to see it working on an OS from the time just before the web took off.

Http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/InstallerForWindows98

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 17, 2022 10:04PM

RJJIII
I got some random errors including 403 for these forums even though the main site works just fine

SourceForge "doesn't like" Internet Explorer, nor Windows 9x user agents. Remove them from the user agent and you should be able to visit these forums.

Posted by: RJJ
Date: December 17, 2022 10:55PM

You're right! The problem existed on Win98 too but I didn't notice. A custom user agent worked. I didn't make a list of the sites that worked on 2k/10 but not 9X, but I bet it was likely the same issue.

Date: December 18, 2022 01:12PM

RJJIII
Thanks Roytam! I tested the new release on Windows 95, 98, and 2k. I updated the installer with your new ciphers.

I updated the documentation with an explanation for running on Windows 95. The browser seems to run fine on Windows 95 with both 5.0 and 5.82. Connecting to the internet felt more complicated than I remember and I got some random errors including 403 for these forums even though the main site works just fine. Overall still cool to see it working on an OS from the time just before the web took off.

Http://kmeleonbrowser.org/wiki/InstallerForWindows98

and it may be worth to mention that K-Meleon won't run on i386 class processors since compiler generates `cmpxchg` and `bswap` instructions which is unavailable on i386 class processors.

A special-built gkgfx.dll, js3250.dll, and freebl.dll is needed for i386 class processors:
http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/KM154-i386DLLs.7z

for processors without MMX instructions support should also grab the above archive and replace gkgfx.dll from it to your KM installation, because default gkgfx.dll uses MMX instructions for color blending.

HTTPS is somewhat working, but not guaranteed (due to insufficient processing power):
https://i.imgur.com/9cAZyAD.png

from my 86box testing, Cyrix Cx486DLC-33MHz is baseline for most (not all, some sites can drop your connections because of slowness anyway) SSL/TLS sites. Even i386-40MHz may not work well on some sites.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2022 09:55AM by roytam1.

Date: December 18, 2022 08:05PM

Thanks again! I've also added a note for i386 issues with an explanation and link.

Date: March 08, 2023 05:02PM

Hi RJJ,

Can I ask what browser string you're using?

Thanks smiling smiley

Posted by: Mikk
Date: September 03, 2023 10:38PM

RetroGeekGal; May 25, 2022 07:47PM
Any chance of TLS 1.3 and some way to import current CA certs so that sites with SSL certificates from issuers with "expired" CA signing certs can be fixed?

Thanks smiling smiley
I bring this question to the front because of an actual issue.

This problem I solve allways through setting of an exception. It's not the best solution but for the moment probably the only possible.

The other problem is since some time the actual version of Javascript, not compatible with that one implemented in KM 1.5 Following many sites don't work correctly or even completely don't do. There I have no solution here.

But since today approximately the noon-time occures an issue of a new dimension: Google doesn't work more and later also more and more other important webs. They bring only the error message as

» K-Meleon can't connect securely to www.google.com because the site uses a security protocol which isn't enabled. «

Till now I got this message on some webs by using of KM 1.7 (it works by some webs better then 1.5 und worked by much more better before TLS 1.2/1.3? was released). This message occures also sometimes in 1.5, it seems after the browser tries to do more than 1 download at once. Than must 1.5 be closed, its cache deleted and the browser restarted. But till now occured this never by Google, neither in 1.5 nor in 1.7. Many other webs seam to load slower now, other ones load anyway, but comming along with such messages (for various URL's) one after other.

Its very insome primary to miss this search engine which is the base practically of everything. Many webs and primary subsites not accesable with KM 1.x directly - mostly because of the JS-issue - I could find only via Google, and it is now away.

Is there any possibility to fix it? I would like to help to do it, but it's absolutely impossible I can do it alone - my actual knowledges of this matter are too short for it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2023 11:06PM by Mikk.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: September 04, 2023 12:43AM

It doesn't help to your issue, but I tested with K-meleon 1.6, as it is the older one I have at hand now, and it works on Google plain html and HTTPs without any patches, as far as I remember... vanilla K-meleon 1.6b2 (update by JamesD, from about 10 years ago or so).

In the other hand, as I said, I can't help with your problem.

The last word is from Roytam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2023 12:44AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: Mikk
Date: December 04, 2023 01:20AM

JohnHell
I tested with K-meleon 1.6, as it is the older one I have at hand now
Google doesn't need TLS 1.2, it works even with http: only, usually; I think, it doesn't use any certificates normally. But the problem for objective statements by testing with 1.6Beta, generally, is, it doesn't support TLS 1.2 (as 1.7Alpha too).

My issue from September 03, 2023 10:38PM disapeared after 2 or 3 days such suddenly as it came before. But now, since 1.12. there is an other one here: Again and again i get this KM error message - exclusively - in Google

Redirect Loop

Redirection limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may be caused by cookies that are blocked.

The browser has stopped trying to retrieve the requested item. The site is redirecting the request in a way that will never complete.

* Have you disabled or blocked cookies required by this site?
* NOTE: If accepting the site's cookies does not resolve the problem, it is likely a server configuration issue and not your computer.
simultanously in 1.5 as in 1.7 (I use them both parallel usually). After perheaps a few miutes up to 1 hour disappears it and all works OK again, but some time later it repeats again. And yesterday, I got again the message form my last posting, on Google; but till now only once. It looks like something is rotten in the state of G.

Anyway, the urgentest problem is still that one about JavaScript. If I knew how to do it, the last version of JS would be allready implemented in 1.5. But unfortunately I don't do, I have no notion of it sad smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2023 01:56AM by Mikk.

Date: December 18, 2023 05:27PM

I don't know either. JS is kinda iffy....some things seem to work, just not others. TLS 1.3 will be what kills KM on W95 I think. Until everyone rolls it out and shuts down TLS 1.2 it works for most things. I just use it to find game files for old Windows games I grew up with, or an occasional Google search on some weird Windows error that I run into so I don't have to go to another computer and transfer files across.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.