Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Bookmark corrupting
Posted by: Joseph Connors
Date: September 28, 2001 01:18AM

I just downloaded 0.5 and told it where my Netscape bookmarks were. K-Meleon only read the first bunch of the urls. It did read all my bookmark tree structure but not the bookmarks. My bookmarks file is unusually big, 936k. What is left now is 126k. This happened with 0.4 also.

This may be on purpose to save memory and speed, if so that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure you know. Maybe you could add a warning or backup the old one.

I really like the improvements in 0.5. Except the new throbber. The other one at least did something interesting. Maybe the lizard should stick his tounge in and out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmark corrupting
Posted by: Brian
Date: September 28, 2001 03:54AM

The bookmarks only support up to 1024 URLS, anything more than that is quite obscene imho smiling smiley

Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 28, 2001 04:40AM

Adding that to the FAQ and release notes
smiling smiley

Andrew

Posted by: Fabian Schach
Date: September 28, 2001 01:08PM

Overall K-Meleon is very nice, but it bothers me much that now my bookmark file is corrupt. During install K-Meleon couldn't find my bookmark file and asked me where to find it, and I pointed it to the right location (C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\...) in the assumption it will *import* the file/copy it. But instead it uses it/rewrites it, and now the file is corrupted (for example all the horizontal dividers are missing) when I use Mozilla again. :-(

At least you should warn the user that K-Meleon will use the bookmark file which you show to it instead of copying it to its own directory.

Posted by: Brian
Date: September 28, 2001 05:57PM

Sorry sad smiley

during development i actually erased my entire bookmarks file on accident. I suppose I should have realized then that working with a live bookmark file with no backup was probably a bad idea (tm). In the next version, I think i'm going to add some more safeguards, like probably backing up the bookmarks file before we start screwing with it, and warn the user before things get wacky.

Posted by: Joseph Connors
Date: September 28, 2001 06:16PM

I don't really use IE enough to have many bookmarks but I was just wondering if the Favorites plugin had the same 1024 limitation.

I agree I have too many bookmarks (4892). I have stopped even using Netscape's regular bookmarks menu because I couldn't find anything. Now my main bookmarks are in a folder on the personal tool bar. But even there I have more than 1024. I have so many most bookmark organizing programs can't handle them so they just keep getting worse. Organizing that many in NS sucks.

I don't think you should change KM though. It is designed for speed and simplicity. Not an overload of bookmarks.

Posted by: Fabian Schach
Date: September 29, 2001 12:15AM

> Sorry sad smiley

Never mind, it was not too difficult to repair the file. And both Mozilla and K-Meleon haven't reached 1.0 yet, so I should have had a not too old backup (tm) ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.