Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Web Page not formatted correctly
Posted by: Ravi Veeraghanta
Date: October 01, 2001 10:14PM

Hi,
This web page gets all messed up.
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/exceptions/
It desplays only in the left margin of the page.
k-meleon version 0.5
O.S Version Win 98 Second Edition.
It displays fine in I.E 5.0 and Netscape 6.1
This is my first post on this forum so please let me know if I got things right.
Also have been using k-meleon 0.5 for the last couple of days and it simply rocks! It's miles ahead of NS and I.E

Thanks
Ravi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Web Page not formatted correctly
Posted by: mjs
Date: October 02, 2001 10:54PM

My first reply to someone elses post smiling smiley

My understanding is that the html rendering engine (gecko) used by kmeleon is maintained at mozilla.org. kmeleon is everything but the html rendering. Netscape6 uses gecko also - but webdevelopers tend to go as far as to only check and fix their pages for Netscape6, which will be a different (older and bugger) version of gecko.

The best place to post about bugs in rendering of pages is with the bugzilla tracking part of mozilla.org. Its a big site and it would require a bit of effort and to narrow down what was going wrong to be helpful to the folks there and make sure that the problem had not been already reported or fixed. When posting to bugzilla people should really people should check that the problem is still there with the nightly mozilla source code - ie that someone didnt fix the bug yesterday. That really involves compiling it yourself which is a bit hardcore - especially as new bug slip into the daily builds.

If there is a site that you use alot such as your webmail site that really fails in kmeleon I suggest trying either:

* mail the webmaster and smile sweetly and ask if they could check there site against kmeleon. I am trying to convince a site or two by offering the support team goodies from thinkgeek.com (no joy yet!).

* get the latest code from mozilla and compile your kmeleon against it to see if the problem was bug that slipped in between the version of gecko that n6 and km05.

In the log run gecko will settle down and netscape6 and other members of the gecko family will render all pages the same. Website will then naturally tidy themselves up to work with the family of folks in the free world. Just by using kmeleon you are doing your part for all the family. Your on the winning team as kmeleons redering will continue to benifit from the improvements make to gecko by all the opensourcers.

rgds

Date: October 02, 2001 10:55PM

My first reply to someone elses post smiling smiley

My understanding is that the html rendering engine (gecko) used by kmeleon is maintained at mozilla.org. kmeleon is everything but the html rendering. Netscape6 uses gecko also - but webdevelopers tend to go as far as to only check and fix their pages for Netscape6, which will be a different (older and bugger) version of gecko.

The best place to post about bugs in rendering of pages is with the bugzilla tracking part of mozilla.org. Its a big site and it would require a bit of effort and to narrow down what was going wrong to be helpful to the folks there and make sure that the problem had not been already reported or fixed. When posting to bugzilla people should really people should check that the problem is still there with the nightly mozilla source code - ie that someone didnt fix the bug yesterday. That really involves compiling it yourself which is a bit hardcore - especially as new bug slip into the daily builds.

If there is a site that you use alot such as your webmail site that really fails in kmeleon I suggest trying either:

* mail the webmaster and smile sweetly and ask if they could check there site against kmeleon. I am trying to convince a site or two by offering the support team goodies from thinkgeek.com (no joy yet!).

* get the latest code from mozilla and compile your kmeleon against it to see if the problem was bug that slipped in between the version of gecko that n6 and km05.

In the log run gecko will settle down and netscape6 and other members of the gecko family will render all pages the same. Website will then naturally tidy themselves up to work with the family of folks in the free world. Just by using kmeleon you are doing your part for all the family. Your on the winning team as kmeleons redering will continue to benifit from the improvements make to gecko by all the opensourcers.

rgds

Posted by: Jeff
Date: October 03, 2001 01:09AM

Actually, in this case, it's not a problem with the page.

It's not a mozilla bug.

It's not a k-meleon bug, either.

Tricky, eh? Basically, k-meleon is built on the embedded distribution of mozilla, with a few important pieces of mozilla added in. "Gecko" is really more of an concept rather than an exact list of components...sometimes pages break because of components that are included in the full mozilla build, but not in the embedded build.

Here's a good flowchart to follow when trying to identify rendering bugs:

- Run Mozilla .9.4
- if it the site is still broken, run the latest mozilla nightly
- if it still doesn't work, it's either a page error, or a mozilla bug.
- if it does work, it's been fixed, wait for the next release of k-meleon
- if the site works, it's either an embedding bug, or a mozilla bug
- try mfcembed (in the embed dir)
- if it doesn't work, it's an embedding bug
- if it works, it's a k-meleon bug

Post any embedding or k-meleon bugs here, post mozilla bugs to bugzilla.mozilla.org, and notify webmasters of any site bugs.

Make sure you're running mfcembed from the embed dir (or the winembed distribution)...k-meleon and mfcembed will load any "components" available to them, so running them within the same directory as mozilla will not have the same results as running them from the appropriate embed directory.

And don't forget, k-meleon developers like thinkgeek stuff, too :-) j/k
-- Jeff

Posted by: Jeff
Date: October 03, 2001 01:11AM

Oh no, I lost the formatting on that flowchart.. here ya go:

- Run Mozilla .9.4
- - - if it the site is still broken, run the latest mozilla nightly
- - - - - if it still doesn't work, it's either a page error, or a mozilla bug.
- - - - - if it does work, it's been fixed, wait for the next release of k-meleon
- - - if the site works, it's either an embedding bug, or a mozilla bug
- - - - - try mfcembed (in the embed dir)
- - - - - - - if it doesn't work, it's an embedding bug
- - - - - - - if it works, it's a k-meleon bug

-- Jeff

Date: October 03, 2001 10:25AM

"- - - - - try mfcembed (in the embed dir)" ?
rgds

Posted by: Brian
Date: October 03, 2001 05:17PM

it's in the embed directory of mozilla

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.