Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
K-Meleon UI Quibbles
Posted by: Peter R.
Date: November 06, 2001 08:00PM

Problems and desired features:
(Note that most of these might actually be in the documentation somewhere, but I looked the docs over pretty carefully and couldn't find what I was looking for. Also, I'm sorry if the post seems snippy -- I really am quite happy with K-Meleon smiling smiley )

Hope all this is pretty clear...

Execution Problems
* Should use *Alt-A* to bring up favorites (not alt-f)
* Don't see any way to redefine which letter is used for the menu accelerator
* As it stands, Alt-F doesn't bring down either menu if favorites plugin is installed -- it only selects the menu
* "Help" menu doesn't have a keyboard accelerator (gets superseded by the default 'go home' accelerator)
* Pressing Alt key doesn't cause the menu keyboard accelerator letters to be underlined
* Can't change browser default colors (see Tools->Internet Options->General->Colors in IE5.5)
* No ID for adding the current page to your favorites or bookmarks
* In win2k, unused menu items do not disappear; the 'double-down arrow' does not appear at the bottom of the menu
* Shift-click does not open a link in a new window
* No way to reconfigure what shift-click does
* No way to turn off annoying "Folder/Folder/Folder" appearance of subfolders in 'Favorites' menu
* No way to rearrange the order of favorites in 'Favorites' menu
* Backspace does not navigate to the previous page (differs from IE)

Documentation Problems
* No list of keyboard id's (i. e., I want to set up 'backspace' to navigate back a page, but I don't know if it's VK_BACKSPACE, VK_BKSP, or what, exactly)
* List of config action id's hard to find -- it's almost the first thing you need to know to do most configuration, and you have to go to the docs on menus (AFAIK) to get to it
* No ID's listed for plugin actions -- *are* there ID's for plugin actions?

=-p-=

ps Is there a quicktime plugin available for K-Meleon? If so, how do I install it? Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon UI Quibbles
Posted by: Jeff
Date: November 06, 2001 09:23PM

* Should use *Alt-A* to bring up favorites (not alt-f)

You're right. I'll fix this.

* Don't see any way to redefine which letter is used for the menu accelerator

Menu accelerators (the underlined letter) are handled through windows, to change the letter used, simply edit the menus and put an ampersand (&) before the letter you want to use....ex: &Favorites will become F&avorites

* As it stands, Alt-F doesn't bring down either menu if favorites plugin is installed -- it only selects the menu

This is a shortcoming of the rebar menu, it will be fixed eventually.

* "Help" menu doesn't have a keyboard accelerator (gets superseded by the default 'go home' accelerator)

Help uses Alt+H, Home uses Ctrl+H

* Pressing Alt key doesn't cause the menu keyboard accelerator letters to be underlined

To be underlined?? I'm not sure what you're looking for. If you mean selected, then this is the same issue with the rebar menu...if you mean that they should be somehow drawn differently, then I think you're out of luck.

* Can't change browser default colors (see Tools->Internet Options->General->Colors in IE5.5)

You can, you just can't do it through the UI...it's just a mozilla pref setting (although I don't know which one offhand, and a quick look at the docs doesn't show anything)

* No ID for adding the current page to your favorites or bookmarks

Favorites and bookmarks are kmeleon plugins, which means they handle their IDs internally and need to be called to get their accelerator. Basically this mean that where you'd expect to use something like ID_FAVORITES_ADD you need to use Favorites(Add). "Add" is an internal function within the Favorites plugin, and will return the ID used.

* In win2k, unused menu items do not disappear; the 'double-down arrow' does not appear at the bottom of the menu

You're right. The items on the menus are there to be used, not to be hidden. If you don't want them, edit the menu file. The double down arrow is not a big concern, either. If you don't want all the buttons on the toolbar, edit the toolbar config.

* Shift-click does not open a link in a new window

This will happen eventually, we can't add this right now per lack of mozilla support.

* No way to reconfigure what shift-click does

This will happen the same time shift+click does something.

* No way to turn off annoying "Folder/Folder/Folder" appearance of subfolders in 'Favorites' menu

I have no idea what you mean.

* No way to rearrange the order of favorites in 'Favorites' menu

MS isn't very friendly about letting others play with their toys. We'll try to have a workaround for this eventually.

* Backspace does not navigate to the previous page (differs from IE)

Yup. We're not IE. I'm not sure how easy this would be to add, either, but I'll probably have a look at it sometime in the future.

* No list of keyboard id's (i. e., I want to set up 'backspace' to navigate back a page, but I don't know if it's VK_BACKSPACE, VK_BKSP, or what, exactly)

These IDs are the same as defined in windows. I agree there should probably be a list somewhere. For the time being, you can check out
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kmeleon/k-meleon/AccelParser.cpp?rev=1.15&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
It's near the bottom of the file, everything is listed (minus the preceeding VK_)

* List of config action id's hard to find -- it's almost the first thing you need to know to do most configuration, and you have to go to the docs on menus (AFAIK) to get to it

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kmeleon/k-meleon/defineMap.cpp?rev=1.14&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

* No ID's listed for plugin actions -- *are* there ID's for plugin actions?

Plugins don't have defined IDs. Instead they use calls. Favorites(Add), etc.

* Is there a quicktime plugin available for K-Meleon? If so, how do I install it?

The netscape plugin should work. I don't think there's a doc on installing it. It should be pretty straightforward.

-- Jeff

Posted by: Peter R.
Date: November 06, 2001 10:29PM

Thanks for the prompt reply -- let me see if I can clarify some of those items:

>* No way to turn off annoying "Folder/Folder/Folder" appearance of subfolders in 'Favorites' menu
>I have no idea what you mean.
Okay -- lemme break it down step by step.
1. Set up a subfolder in 'Favorites' -- say, "News."
2. Set up a subfolder in that subfolder -- say, "National" within "News."

Now, in K-Meleon, look at the "News" menu. Its subfolder will be labeled "News/National" instead of just "News." That's what I meant by "Folder/Folder/Folder." smiling smiley

--

>ex: &Favorites will become F&avorites
Hmm. I tried doing that in menu.cfg and my "Favorites" menu disappeared. I'll take a closer look at it, see if I'm doing anything wrong....

--

>* Pressing Alt key doesn't cause the menu keyboard accelerator letters to be underlined
>To be underlined?? I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Lessee. Try loading IE 5.5 on Win2k. Press the 'alt' key. Along the menu bar, "File" now has an underscore under "F," "Edit" has an underscore under "E," and so on. Press the 'alt' key again, and you select the "File" menu. Press the 'alt' key again, and the underscores disappear.

Now try loading K-Meleon. If the rebar plugin is on, the underscores are always visible. If the rebar plugin is off, the underscores only behave properly if you press 'alt' while editing the text in the "URL" bar.

--

>* No ID's listed for plugin actions -- *are* there ID's for plugin actions?
>Plugins don't have defined IDs. Instead they use calls. Favorites(Add), etc.

How do I figure out which calls a plugin supports?

--

>We're not IE.

Thank god.

-=p=-

Posted by: po
Date: November 07, 2001 02:23AM

--

>ex: &Favorites will become F&avorites
Hmm. I tried doing that in menu.cfg and my "Favorites" menu disappeared. I'll take a closer look at it, see if I'm doing anything wrong....

--

if you haven't figured it out already, i'm gonna guess you forgot to also change '&Favorites' to 'F&avorites' under the 'Main' menu... i did the same thing. ;-)

--- po

p.s. - this is a good thread! i'm feeling less information-starved already...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.