I'm having a problem with facebook (I can't see the toolbar below)
Posted by: Matías
Date: January 17, 2010 03:39AM

Well, first of all, hello to everyone (I know I ought to post first in an introduction thread first, but well, I guess I'm leaving that to my second post).
Ok, this is my problem. When I'm on facebook I can't see the toolbar that is located below, the one where you have chat and notifications buttons to the right, and applications to the left. But, when I'm at apps.facebook.com/ I can see it, but dissapears as soon as I go to another location like www.facebook.com . I also had a problem while writing on my wall (which I found the solution here, thanks for that), but suddenly, since this week I got my toolbar "stolen". Can you suggest me something to solve this (I wonder if someone else has this problem also) ?

Re: I'm having a problem with facebook (I can't see the toolbar below)
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 17, 2010 08:47AM

Facebook is IMHO intentionally barring browsers with Mozilla GRE 1.8.
This is no K-Meleon bug.

Yes, all PPL using K-Meleon have problems at facebook.

You will find a Spanish info how to work around some of the current facebook problems in this thread that has a link to the thread where recent Facebook problems were first discussed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2010 12:09PM by guenter.

Posted by: calde
Date: January 20, 2010 07:03PM

Hi, I've found this trick for facebook.

Set user agent to Firefox 2.0

1. load facebook homepage, some section are missing (mailbox, bottom bar)
2. disable javascript (F7) and reload, section came back but useless...
3. enable javascript (F7) and reload, now all is there.

Hi don't use fb chat and so I can't try it, but emails are now visible.

I hope this procedure works for you!

Bye
enrico

Date: January 20, 2010 09:45PM

Great find thx for publishing.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 20, 2010 10:19PM

yeah, that was very smart calde.. i just tested it, it actually proves they facebook are deliberately blocking out either gecko 1.8 or kmeleon in particular, when js is blocked..they cant sniff and the bar functions with absolutely no problems proving that kmeleon and gecko 1.8 are capable of opening that bar and there is no reason for them to block it out

unfortunately that procedure can't be implemented in autoagent switcher..so at least users now have a choice, either use the opera string or disable and reenable js and refresh.

great find, thanks calde

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 20, 2010 11:02PM

disrupted
it actually proves they facebook are deliberately blocking out either gecko 1.8 or kmeleon in particular

It's just a guess but it seems to me that for some reason they are rather pushing Fx users to upgrade. If by all means they would just want to block K-M, masking as Opera would become much more trickier.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: January 20, 2010 11:23PM

you're probably right.. but why if the browser still supports their site, they give full functions to a dangerous browser like ie6 that should have been killed years ago but browsers with good and secure gecko 1.8 are being blocked? it stinks and i still think mozilla is behind it

edit: if they are really targeting ff 2.0 (which is probably true) then this is hilarious..
listen to this! when they give out features for the site they sniff for firefox but when they want to block, they block by engine.. stupidity has no limits grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 11:26PM by disrupted.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: January 21, 2010 08:33AM

It's really hard to make a guess. Mozilla might be behind it at some point.
Out of question Mozilla has interest in pushing their user base for upgrade. However looking at market share no other Gecko based browser (or even all put together) can be considered as a prospective rival by Mozilla Fx.
FB's main goal is revenue. They have no interest to annoy the main vendors (M$ & Mozilla) and their user base which is the source of over 80% of their income. Browser security is one of the last of their concern if any at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 08:35AM by Yogi.

Date: January 22, 2010 07:02PM

I do not believe in coincidence.

The change that crippled out some engines/browsers used by smaller competitors happened at several essential pages just at a time when EC lawmakers were offered a deal by a company called Microsoft. Yes, MS offered more browsers during Windows updates.

Not MS & its cartel's fault when these browsers stop working. tongue sticking out smiley
Mere chance that You can use Opera's Linux string to get service. grinning smiley

Facebook, Bing maps - who is next?sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2010 07:25PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.