Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Odd behaviour after 40 open windows
Posted by: SJ Zero
Date: August 09, 2002 07:47AM

I'm sitting here right now with 40 browser windows open, and K-Meleon is starting to act flakey. Upon trying to open the 41st window, I get a message from the K-Meleon toolbar plugin:"Failed to create toolbar".

The fonts are all reverting to the windows default, all the K-Meleon Icons on the bottom are black(the shape of a black chameleon...)

It could be Windows ME causing the problems with the fonts though, because I'm noticing that many of the fonts under Windows explorer are doing the same thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Odd behaviour after 40 open windows
Date: August 09, 2002 07:50AM

with .60
I closed the dialog box, and K-Meleon crashed.

Posted by: sven
Date: August 09, 2002 10:20AM

Tested 0.7 (0.65?) beta on w2k with approx 45 windows. All displayed with no fuss and I was able to browse as usual.

Posted by: ra
Date: August 09, 2002 02:45PM

Windows NT/2000/XP have got a different (*way* *better*) memory and resource mangement than Windows 9x (95/98/Me).

K-Ms memory and resource consumption could be - IMO - more lean and clean. ;-)

(I'm also experiencing this problem).

Date: August 28, 2002 12:14AM

Yep. I just upgraded to Windows 2000, and right now I have well over 50 windows open. It's beautiful. smiling smiley

Wait, I counted them...
Date: August 28, 2002 12:21AM

No, I just counted the windows, and there are more than 100. In this light, the 110MB of RAM I'm using right now seems rather trivial. That's just over 1 MB per window, and I couldn't really ask more of a web browser which is fully featured.

Posted by: ra
Date: August 29, 2002 12:30AM

Yeah, but what about those Win 9x users...? - Would be nice to see that fixed!

Posted by: Ublis
Date: August 29, 2002 02:24AM

Heh. Try it with IE, it will crash and burn as well. At least I have to reboot win98 every couple of hours _in the happiest cases_ if I'm working intensively with IE (meaning opening and closing many windows, not necessarily having 50 open at one time). Not only IE, other apps will bring windows to its knees as well, causing apps to give "can't write to Canvas" errors, screwed up fonts and icons. Funny thing is that my IE sometimes crashes when loading ads, sometimes even on one of the first pages I see after booting.
Considering this, I don't think the K-Meleon team can solve these problems, they seem to be baked into windows. What the heck do you do with 50 windows anyway?

Date: August 29, 2002 02:43AM

I have only so many hours on the internet per month, so I just get as many pages on the screen as I can, log off, and sift through the good ones. It actually works out really well when Windows doesn't fubar the process.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.