Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Can't open K-Meleon browser
Posted by: JaxMax
Date: February 17, 2010 08:42PM

Greetings,
I have a problem related to opening my K-Meleon browser. Yesterday, I walked into the computer room and noticed that my computer was re-booting. It does this often after an update. Since then, I cannot open the K-Melon browser. When I click on the icon, I get a download box over the browser window that says: Do you want to open or save this file?

Name: region.properties
Type:application/x-itunes-itlp
Source:
I haven't opened or save it but when I cancel the browser window closes. Has anyone experienced this? I'm wondering what I should do. I have run all of my anti-spy, maleware, virus etc. Nothing is found to be malicious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't open K-Meleon browser
Posted by: siria
Date: February 17, 2010 09:58PM

Perhaps do a right-click on the icon and look at the properties:
What target does it have?
And does KM start and then shows this popup or how...?

That "region properties" sound suspiciously like it were related to that one:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,103046

That would mean that your system crashed and in this case KM sometimes forgets its homepage and somehow looks for it now in the translations folders, or such. Usually no big deal...

Edit: Oh... *lightbulb* grinning smiley "Properties" files aren't exclusive to KM, other programs seem to have them too, and looks like you have that filetype connected to itunes! Now everytime your computer stumbles across any .properties file, it thinks it were an itunes file and asks if you want to download it ;-)

If you have trouble opening the browser now: Do you know how to find the KMeleon program folder, in Explorer? There's a "readme.html" in it, drag-and-drop it on the file above "k-meleon.exe", then when it's open in KM, right-click on the home-button and set this page as new homepage.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2010 10:09PM by siria.

Date: February 17, 2010 10:16PM

To the KM people:
That seems really a problem for many people, and for the more experienced ones it's at least confusing. Couldn't that be fixed somehow, out-of-the-box? And if just some workaround that checks at startup if the homepage is this:
chrome://navigator-region/locale/region.properties
and then resets it automatically to readme.html??

Date: February 17, 2010 10:58PM

Siria,
Thanks for the quick reply. It seems that the drag and drop solution worked. Thanks much. Perhaps the power went out and my computer re-booted or something and the iTunes file got listed with the KM.exe. I can open the browser now and navigate. I lost all of my bookmarks though. In fact there's no bookmarks category at the top at all. Hmm, not a big deal. I would think they would be listed in a folder somewhere. Anyhow, Thanks again, Jack.

Posted by: desga2
Date: February 17, 2010 11:30PM

@ JaxMax:
This is an usual problem when K-Meleon crash, KM prefs.js file profile is corrupted and when you start KM after a crash it create a new profile, due to this you "lost" your browser configuration (you have all your profile datas but in other profile folder). Search your old profile and copy the bookmarks.htm file and others if you like in your new profile folder and enable Bookmarks in Preferences (F2) panel.
You can found your Profile folder in menu Edit -> Configuration -> Profile Directory

@ siria:
You can do it a macro to check $URL OnStartUp event and fixed home preference to readme default page and load it.
Also you can show a warning dialog to informate the user of this change due to a previous crash or lost of configuration.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 17, 2010 11:51PM

Glad you have it back, Jack! smiling smiley
A little tip, that everyone learns sooner or later the hard way, but need not be: Make a backup copy of the working K-Meleon folder, and (if elsewhere) the profile folder. The profile is even more important. Sometimes there are problems like that, due to a power break or crash, but often it's just the endless configuration possibilities in KM, a user can change so very much, but that makes it also easy to accidentally mess some setting.

Desga, yes, something like that I had in mind, and it really isn't overly difficult. The problem is only, what does it help unexperienced users if it's not already built-in when downloading the browser? If it's just a macro that people can only download later, but will certainly only discover and understand it *after* their first crash, *after* they already wasted lots of time and frustration, and many probably just drop the browser then. So IMHO that little macro should be included in main.kmm. And upon reading now that again some plugins were toggled at the crash, that little macro could really include that alert you suggested, and with an explication to check the plugin settings, and where to find them... And of course, how to get the bookmarks etc. back :cool:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 12:00AM by siria.

Date: February 18, 2010 02:02PM

Hello all,
I managed to get my bookmarks back, thanks for the help. I found the bookmarks under Tools>Web Search> Configure. There I simply had to manually turn on the bookmarks plug-in. I have used KM for more than a year now and have had no problems what so ever. It's good to know that there's help if I do. Thanks again. Jack.

Posted by: Gabmat
Date: November 14, 2012 08:03PM

Hello, neither of these advice worked to me.
How can i open kmeleon, pls?
I have alot of things in there

Posted by: Kleon
Date: November 15, 2012 01:11AM

GabMat

What version of K-Meleon are you using? Maybe you should try a different version (such as Rodocop's new K-Meleon Twin; see the 'General' forum for a download link). Set it up outside your Programs folder and use a local profile (copy your profile folder from the Application Data folders).

——————————————————————————
Windows XP Pro SP3 | K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta2
Trying out various subspecies of the lizard smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2013 09:16PM

Resolved. I just used ccleaner, then k-meleon started again and it still works.
Thank you =)

Date: May 24, 2013 09:20PM

Attention! Virus.

I download Kmeleon Twin and found 2 virus in mark.exe called Cryp Xed-12 with Trend micro housecall antivirus online.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: May 26, 2013 06:13PM

This is definitely false positive. mark.exe is just small and convenient text editor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2013 06:14PM by rodocop.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.