Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Doesn't exit when closed
Posted by: Nick
Date: May 30, 2002 07:40PM

Here's one that annoys me, and I have searched, but can find no info.

Win2000 platform. I do not use the loader.exe

Sometimes, usually after (or if) I hit a page that times out, or sometimes when java has been involved, when closing KM completely, the GUI closes, but looking at the process list, kmeleon.exe is still running.

I found this after noticing my Linux gateway was still reporting my Windows box was still connecting out, some 9 hours after I had been to work and back. It also keeps 'other' connections open while in this 'zombie but alive' state, as if the last page delivered is also still being read (I put this down to dynamic pages, like one's with dtnamic adverts, etc.)

Strange thing is, it isn't repeatable.. it just happens sometimes.

Is this known/being fixed/fixed? I hope so, because this is a problem if KM is still connecting in it's own free will.

Thanks,

Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Doesn't exit when closed
Posted by: Sebastian Reichelt
Date: May 31, 2002 01:23AM

This may not matter too much, but it happens to me, too, on Windows 98, with loader.exe.

Posted by: po
Date: May 31, 2002 05:22AM

just to clarify, you are EXITING k-meleon with Ctrl+Alt+F4 (or whatever you've mapped to ID_APP_EXIT) and not just closing the last open window, right? smiling smiley

Posted by: sven
Date: May 31, 2002 07:04AM

Happened sometimes with Moz builds too some time ago. I guess it's related thing. Haven't seen this for a while so I expect it not to show up in next KM too.

Wishful thinking smiling smiley

Date: May 31, 2002 10:39AM

just to clarify, you are EXITING k-meleon with Ctrl+Alt+F4 (or whatever you've mapped to ID_APP_EXIT) and not just closing the last open window, right? smiling smiley

Ummm. No, I am closing the last (??) and only KM window open using the form Exit 'X' in the top right corner.

Didn't realise there was a hidden form I needed to kill, if that is what you are saying?

Nick

Date: May 31, 2002 05:51PM

some part of k-meleon (a wiggling tail?) tends to stay active in memory unless you tell it to EXIT at some point... i'm pretty sure clicking on the |x| button in the corner just gives an ID_FILE_CLOSE command, which makes sense when you have a bunch of windows open, i guess, since you don't want to accidentally close them all when you only meant to close one... but maybe there's a way for k-meleon to check for a window being the only one remaining when you close it, and if it is, to exit the application... that might make more sense.

in the meantime, to kill the process, you can use Ctrl+Alt+F4 or just select Exit from the File menu.

Posted by: dlawrence
Date: May 31, 2002 08:41PM

Wooowwww. I didn't know there was a difference either.

"... but maybe there's a way for k-meleon to check for a window being the only one remaining when you close it, and if it is, to exit the application... that might make more sense."

Should this be added to the Improvements Requests???

Date: May 31, 2002 10:38PM

This is a bug.

If KM somehow spawns a forked child process (or whatever the Windoze equivilent is) without a form 'window' as in this case, then how the hell are you supposed to know?

And wondering now about the threads on memory usage. I never had problems in that area, but now realising this, maybe this is why some people do get that problem... 'hidden' KM processes in the background that never get shut down?

Nick

Date: June 01, 2002 12:21AM

> I never had problems in that area, but now realising this, maybe
> this is why some people do get that problem... 'hidden' KM processes
> in the background that never get shut down?

i don't think they accumulate... it's just that k-meleon isn't really shut down unless it gets the exit command... so if you start it again, it just opens a window and keeps on going... similar to if you had the loader running, i guess?

Date: June 01, 2002 12:29AM

so if you start it again, it just opens a window and keeps on going...

But it is running without a window, so somewhere in memory is these 'processes' that stay alive.

Childs spawns would explain it. The *.exe would take up more and more memory for each child, but the GUI only reports the visible window. It's only when you look at the processes do you see it still running. Does the resource take more each time when this happens?

I don't know.... I can't work out this hidden windows, no info crap that M$ endowed us with.

Nick

Date: June 01, 2002 01:38AM

procexp is handy for looking at what's going on:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Date: September 09, 2002 05:42PM

OK, I have found what causes this.

If you do a file download via KM, then exit KM completely, open up the task manager, ypu will find kmeleon.exe is still running.

No download during a session this doesn't happen, KM closes correctly.

So, basically:

Download -> KM doesn't exit completely when asked to.

No Download -> KM exits totally.

Does this happen on the latest beta (I am a 'cutting edge', not the 'bleeding edge' user ;-) )

Nick

Date: September 09, 2002 08:00PM

last beta seems to always shut down properly, but i'm sure there are conditions that i haven't encountered, myself... the download dialog doesn't seem to cause the problem described, at any rate. smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.