Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Bookmarks randomly deleted
Posted by: DH
Date: June 11, 2010 03:12PM

OK, so I thought it was about time to put all my assembly language bookmarks in one folder, which I did. I then added a couple of links... and KMeleon deleted all the ones that were there already! I've lost all my bookmmarks in that folder!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmarks randomly deleted
Posted by: SoerenB
Date: June 11, 2010 05:21PM

Could you supply more info, please?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: siria
Date: June 11, 2010 06:16PM

Rule No.1: Keep a backup copy of profile folder :cool:

Okay , I see you fuming, so a bit more constructive ;-)
Look into the profile folder if by any chance there might be an automatic backup, one never knows....

You didnt happen to use that bookmarks file with 2 open browsers at once, or 2 open KM instances at once, did you...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2010 06:18PM by siria.

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 11, 2010 10:45PM

I think DH is talking about Favorites link files (.lnk) instead Netscape Bookmarks (.html) really.

More info and explained about the problem is needed.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: June 15, 2010 01:45AM

Firstly, Yes it's the Bookmarks, not the Favourites. I know the difference and since K-Meleon is my main browser I generally don't use Favourites much. I wasn't editing the bookmarks file in more than one window, but I may have had 2 windows open. However, K-Meleon is the only program on my machine that uses Bookmarks, so they weren't being fiddled with by anything else. It just happened at random, no warning. I've lost all references I had kept to Assembly pages. I have a backup from months ago (almost a year) which I took because I was dealing with a virus infestation which culminated in a reinstall and I didn't want to lose anything.

Date: June 16, 2010 06:51PM

How many bookmarks in folder are you talking?
It's posible KM have a limit of bookmarks by folder in a bookmarks file and you have problems or random lost in bookmarks when you overrun the limit.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2010 06:52PM by desga2.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 16, 2010 11:27PM

1.) If You mean that You copied one bookmarks.html into a folder where another bookmarks.html was You overwrote and destroyed the file. The content of bookmarks.html is inside the files & each is called bookmarks.html. They are not like favorites. You cannot copy them together. Use a bookmarks manager or import them to IE favorites and then copy them arround and reimport them as Netscape bookmarks.

2.) bookmarks.html gets rarely corrupted. If so, there is a bookmarks_backup.html right next to it. Open the file and check whether it is the backup of the file you search. If so rename to bookmarks.html. This file/info can be used to replace a lost bookmarks.html in case of 1.) overwriiten file.smiling smiley

3.) I hope that You mean You have had a Crash and ScanDisk run that damaged profiles.ini.

You said.

DH
It just happened at random, no warning. I've lost all references I had kept to Assembly pages.

You lost bookmarks, some settings and passwords...? By chance all, Right?

If so go: Edit -> Configuration -> Profile Directory

Now move up one directory level. There should be a 2nd or more profile folder.
Move inside each and open the bookmarks.html with the browser. One should have identical content as the lost one.

If You found the right one / go and copy copy it to the currently used profile.
All other files in that folder too, for good measure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2010 11:43PM by guenter.

Date: June 18, 2010 09:30AM

guenter
DH
It just happened at random, no warning. I've lost all references I had kept to Assembly pages.
You lost bookmarks, some settings and passwords...? By chance all, Right?

Only those to Assembly pages he writes, the ones he had moved into the new folder, so the rest is okay. No crash mentioned either. Doesn't look very good... Really weird, in the year that I'm reading here regularly I can't remember anyone having a similar problem, unlike other stuff, that gets complained over and over. Like losing the complete profile folder after a new install, which usually is still there, just the path forgotten. Must be something very rare and hard to figure out for others...

Then again...
DH
I wasn't editing the bookmarks file in more than one window, but I may have had 2 windows open.
Is it perhaps possible that it were 2 instances of KM? Meaning that the second one had been started with "-new" in the commandline/link?

Oh well, I'm a Favorites fan and will stay it ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 09:36AM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 18, 2010 10:55AM

Thx siria for explaining to me. ok, so I did not understand problem correctly.
That really does not sound like a common problem.
I read here since version 0.82 - I would never dismiss anything as impossible anymore smiling smiley

DH, try to use a copy of the bookmarks_backup.html file whether You can reproduce the error.

Try with a dedicated bookmarks manager if the problem strikes again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 10:55AM by guenter.

Date: June 18, 2010 09:03PM

@ DH:
Can be you are talking about this bug: # 1115 ?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: bamboum
Date: June 19, 2010 09:17AM

It is not a new bug. I use Kmeleon since version 0.7.
You must time to time to save the bookmarks file in a specific folder as well the one with extension.s (it contains logins and passwords) ;
The only change with more recent version of KM is that boorkmars are saved with other name like bookmarks old or something like that.

Posted by: Olaf Weyer
Date: June 19, 2010 09:38PM

Dann wars das für mich mit K-meleon. Eine ganze Woche voller Internetrecherche ist jetzt hinüber, denn die Favoriten sind tatsächlich verschwunden. Sehr schneller Browser, aber so nutzt er mir nicht :/

Date: June 19, 2010 10:53PM

Hi, Olaf -

eine ganze Woche, aber keine einzige Frage hier?
Dir ist klar, daß Favoriten und Bookmarks völlig verschieden funktionieren?
Wenn bei Dir "die Favoriten" (alle?) verschwunden sind, konntest Du natürlich weder Lösung noch Ursache in diesem thread finden.

Falls Du nicht "DH" bist, könntest Du die Entstehung Deines Problems mal (in einem neuen thread unter "General"?) schildern?

Falls Du "DH" bist, ignoriere Dies.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: June 19, 2010 11:20PM

Au weia...
(Ich fürchte, er meint, dass er eine Woche lang Bookmarks gesammelt hat, und wollte jetzt den Ordner irgendwie umorganisieren...)

Sind es wirklich "Bookmarks" (Netscape/Firefox), oder "Favoriten" (IE-Variante)?? Weil das sind ganz unterschiedliche Sachen, und funktionieren ganz anders.
Und ist nur ein Ordner verschwunden, oder "ALLE bookmarks"? Weil "alle" wär höchstwahrscheinlich harmlos, nur der Pfad woanders.

Muss aber sagen, der Bug hier (s. Link) ist mir neu. Persönlich nutze ich "bookmarks" ja nur für ein paar Bookmarklets, und ansonsten Favoriten und Hotlist, und treib mich auch erst so ca. ein Jahr regelmäßig im Forum rum. Wenn das stimmt, mit dem Cut/Paste-Problem bei Bookmarks, das ist echt heftig :O Mindestens müsste man die Nutzer da vorher warnen...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2010 11:21PM by siria.

Date: June 21, 2010 05:23PM

OK, there's a lot of confusion over what I did. So, step by step:
Open K-Meleon bookmark manager.
Create new folder under Programming (not the first sub-subfolder, I have them for Basic, C/C++, etc)
Press OK on the manager, then re-enter - I've found this forces the creation of the folder, whereas not doing so can mean you can't add stuff to the folder
Move all links relating to Assembly in there, including those involving Assembly for 6502, ARM, etc (this took some time)
Press OK on the manager
Continue browsing...
Later, add another page (I might have added more before this but I can't remember)
Adding this page deletes all the others!

Date: June 22, 2010 08:51PM

I found some bugs in bookmarks kplugin, can someone confirm in different KM versions and Windows?
I tried KM 1.5.4 and WinXP SP3.

When you created a new folder1 and try to created another new folder like subfolder in new folder1, Editor Bookmarks list isn't refreshed, new subfolder in new folder isn't showed, but if you apply/close with OK button and reopen bookmarks Editor, new subfolder is showed in new folder1.

When you are moving some bookmark to a new folder, first or second favicon in bookmarks list (I like said the chevron icon or the first favicon) is showed under the positional line (while you have press left mouse button to drag&drop the bookmark)

When you creted a new folder and you moved some bookmarks to it, confirm the change with OK in Editor. Try to add a new bookmark from a webpage with right click context menu "Add Page to bookmarks..." option and select to add to new folder with bookmarks recently moved, KM crash with a Dr. Watson debug info.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 08:51PM by desga2.

Date: June 23, 2010 11:24AM

desga2
I found some bugs in bookmarks kplugin, can someone confirm in different KM versions and Windows?
I tried KM 1.5.4 and WinXP SP3.
I have the same specs
desga2
When you created a new folder1 and try to created another new folder like subfolder in new folder1, Editor Bookmarks list isn't refreshed, new subfolder in new folder isn't showed, but if you apply/close with OK button and reopen bookmarks Editor, new subfolder is showed in new folder1.
Hence why I listed press OK and reenter in my post. I can confirm that bug is present too on K-Meleon 1.5.0 onwards and on Windows 2K.

desga2
When you are moving some bookmark to a new folder, first or second favicon in bookmarks list (I like said the chevron icon or the first favicon) is showed under the positional line (while you have press left mouse button to drag&drop the bookmark)
I don't know about this...

desga2
When you creted a new folder and you moved some bookmarks to it, confirm the change with OK in Editor. Try to add a new bookmark from a webpage with right click context menu "Add Page to bookmarks..." option and select to add to new folder with bookmarks recently moved, KM crash with a Dr. Watson debug info.
I've never had that, but that MIGHT have been what caused my deletion thing, just manifesting differently...?

Posted by: newman
Date: July 22, 2010 07:48PM

Hi, I too did exerience this. I shutdown my machine while k-meleon was still running. When I restarted my machine my bookmarks were gone, 0KB. I did not create any folders or move bookmarks around. I was able to get them back because of the automatick bookmark backup feature.

I also did a test to try to replicate the bug but it did not corrupt my bookmarks the second time.

Date: July 23, 2010 08:07PM

@ newman,
Your problem sound like a different problem.
When K-Meleon crash or Windows crash while K-Meleon is running K-Meleon profile is corrupted and when restart K-Meleon build a new profile.
You only have to search your bookmarks in old profile and copy bookmarks.html file to the new profile.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: July 29, 2010 11:53AM

Thank you desga2 for explaining that to me.

But a new profile folder was not created, maybe I need to keep a closer watch and remember what exacly happened. The reason I am writing again is beacuse it happened today again and I closed k-meleon properly but my bookmarks disappeared. Whoever came up with the bookmark_backups idea deserves credit as I was able to recover them again. If there is someway I can give you a log file or crahs report to see what happened please let me know and I would be happy to do.

regards and thank you again.

Date: August 03, 2010 11:37PM

Yup, it happened again.

Once again I shutdown my machine while k-meleon was in the process of shutting down and my bookmarks went to 0KB. Let me detail, when I shutdown k-meleon, k-meleon closes but my firewall catches another fle being created/modified and before I can allow the file access my machine shuts down. But the backup_bookmark file still works. Thanks

Browser: k-meleon 1.6.0a4 portable

Date: August 04, 2010 09:31AM

Hi, newman,

;-)

so this is not REALLY a K-Meleon Bug, is it?

It's rather the suboptimal cooperation of Windows, a firewall, a user, AND K-Meleon?

I guess, that IS just the case for a working bookmark backup ...

No offence meant ... smiling smiley

btw, have you ever tried hibernation instead of shutting down? (that's in the Energy Options of the Windows Control Panel. You need to have enough free space on your C: drive to accommodate the size of your RAM) It's good for folks like me and you, who are in a hurry too often. Helps best if you have one of those Master/Slave power socket things (don't know what they're called in English).

If you then set your PC's power button to start hibernating (second tab of energy options), you can just press the button and go away. It will take awhile to dump the memory to disk, but certainly no harm will be done. (Don't change any hardware, though, when hibernated, like removing USB devices ..)
PC's startup is faster, too.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2010 09:51AM by SoerenB.

Date: August 05, 2010 11:59AM

hi SoerenB, thanks for your reply yes I do know about the hibernate option but I don't use it because my machine starts up just as fast if I didn't use it and the lower security issue. My machine is tweaked and I don't use explorer.

But I found something; I didn't know this, when k-meleon shuts down the backup-bookmark routine kicks in and it tries to update/create the bookmark file. So because my machine shutdown faster than me allowing the file to get accessed by the firewall rule. The bookmark created/modified went to 0KB I am pretty sure thats the reason for my bookmarks disappearing.

So developers please ignore my bookmark issue, its looks like its me, my firewall smiling smiley

Date: August 05, 2010 01:13PM

"lower security issue" of hibernation mode?

I never heard of that. What does it mean?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: August 12, 2010 12:34PM

Hi SorenB,
yes when coming out of hibernation, windows XP does not ask you for a password it simply logs you in unless you hibernated when it was locked or you have a BIOS password. smiling smiley

Date: August 12, 2010 02:04PM

Hi, newman,

the second checkbox in the second tab of -> Cpl -> Energy Options works for hibernation, too (not only for Standby mode as verbally stated)

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: rederhossen
Date: August 27, 2010 07:27AM

TRUE!

Posted by: VI
Date: December 15, 2010 11:03PM

I too have similar problem of bookmarks disappearing but cannot see any pattern when the bookmark.html file is emptied. I do not use IE Favorites and Opera Hotlist. I have had no other problem or a crash or anything else with my computer or session of K-Meleon. The problem has nothing to do with having too many bookmarks, since I have very few of them, a handful of them.

In my case, the following is what has been happening and how I have been fixing it each time:

The bookmark.html file is not deleted but its contents are deleted. However, a new bookmark file is created by K-Meleon automatically in the same K-meleon folder by the name bookmark.htmlannnnn where the "a" following html is an alphabet "a" or "b" and the "nnnnn" are some numbers. When I browse bookmark.html, it is empty. When I browse the new file bookmark.htmlannnnn, all my bookmarks are there. The backup bookmark file, bookmark_backup.html may not be exactly like this newly created bookmark.htmlannnn file. So, I delete the empty bookmark.html and I rename bookmark.htmlannnn to bookmark.html because this is Netscape Bookmark File entered in my Preferences. I exit K-Meleon and restart/open it again. Now, all is well again.

Even if I create another folder for bookmarks somewhere else in K-Meleon and point my Netscape Bookmark File to that folder, the same problem occurs unexpectedly as described above and I follow same procedure to activate my bookmarks.html. It is annoying to have to go through these steps so often. K-Meleon should be backing up the bookmark.html onto bookmark_backup.html and then should be creating the new bookmark file over the bookmark.html file instead of emptying bookmark.html and creating bookmark.htmlannnn.

Posted by: VI
Date: December 16, 2010 12:12AM

Correction to my above comment:

File names beginning with word "bookmark" should be bookmarks - in the plural:
bookmarks.html, bookmarks.htmlannnnn, bookmarks_backup.html, respectively.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.