Unicode in menus BUG !!!
Posted by: adXok
Date: August 25, 2010 05:40PM

BUG in v. 1.5.4 and the new 1.6alpha

Open a page. Add it in the Bookmark menu and giive it some name with cyrillic characters like this:
моята страница (my webpage)

Ok. Now open the Bookmark menu to see it. What do you see:
śḱ́sß ∂φ®™♥φγßd (my webpage)

In version 1.5.3 it is shown correctly as added!

BUG in all versions: When trying to write in Facebook. Open your Facebook profile and try to write something on your wall. (I couldnt do this in versions previous to the new alpha). The new alpha could let you write on your Wall but when trying to correct wuth a Backspace - BAM!!! It returns you to a previous page as if you have clicked the Back button!

Re: Unicode in menus BUG !!!
Posted by: SoerenB
Date: August 25, 2010 06:04PM

Hi, adXok,

I can't contribute to the Utf thing, but

VK_BACK

is KM's default accelerator for "go back one page".

The default for "Undo" is "Ctrl Z", the opposite one, for "Redo", is "Ctrl Y", - they are the same as in OpenOffice.

You can see those accels in your menus - in the context menu, too -, if you have this checkbox ticked:
F2 -> GUI Appearance -> "Display Keyboard accelerators in menus"

If you don't want to get used to it, consider digesting the information in this thread concerning changing the accelerators.

Oh, and by the way: different pieces of software do have slightly different interface settings, that is perfectly normal.
Not necessarily each thing you or I may not be used to are BUGs.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 06:16PM by SoerenB.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 25, 2010 06:16PM

But in input boxes (like this forum post) the back key should work for deleting, and does so in normal sites ;-)

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: August 25, 2010 06:36PM

...... Ooops ... - Sorry, adXok!

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 25, 2010 08:18PM

I cannot get the cyrillic characters to show correctly in Favorites on my system.

I added this thread's page to favorites and then renamed the favorite to моята страница. When I look at my favorites dropdown menu I see ????? ???????? . When I look under Favorites-Edit I do see it named моята страница.

K-Meleon 1.6.0a4
XP-SP3

Posted by: disrupted
Date: August 25, 2010 10:27PM

james, you'll need to have russian/cyrillic language support installed to see them properly

adox, the facebook writing on the wall problem is not a bug in kmeleon but due to a bug in the browser detection..in 1.5.x, simply change the ua to firefox(tools>user agent>firefox) and facebook will work o.k

the other problem is also not a kmeleon bug..there are no menu differences across kmeleon versions except 1.6 which enables alpha support but that does not affect unicode characters display.

you need to have russian language set for non-unicode programs in your regional and locale settings

i assume you already have that set properly, otherwise you'd probably see the letters as squares or question marks..so what's more likely to have happened is that you have installed a desktop theme that changed your menu fonts to something that doesn't support unicode properly..that tends to happen with some themers who don't understand the importance of unicode fonts on non-latin systems

open your display propeties(control panel or desktop menu)> select appearance and then select themes

under themes, select menu and make sure to choose a unicode supporting font. arial unicode is a safe bet for all languages. click apply

here's the difference between a windows theme with a non unicode font:

and with a unicode font like arial

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 25, 2010 11:33PM

@ disrupted

Learning something new every day -

I only needed other language for testing, HOWEVER, your info about menu font and size really did help me. I have bad eyes and I have now changed my menu font size from 8 to 10 and it is great. All of KM's menus are bigger and I can see them easily now. Thanks.

I am going back into that function to see if there is an item which controls our macro items like prompt, confirm, and alert. I wonder if the change I made became a registry item? It would be great to set these items from KM's preferences, but I have no idea what happens behind the scenes when I pressed the 'Apply' button.

Date: August 26, 2010 12:31AM

i'm glad you find that useful..all system theme settings are saved in the registry deep down microsft>contol something>metrics cant remember the exact path but most of the metric values are non human dwords, the easist way is to save your theme settings so if any change occurs you just load them again

i use an old but great tool for saving themes from windows 98se plus edition which workings superbly under xp
http://kmext.sf.net/iol/themesmanager.zip

kmeleon just follows the system metrics like any win api application so nothing to change for kmeleon. firefox and the like initially read those metrics too for the ui but they can be changed using userchrome.css being a pseudo ui.. but that isn't necessarily a good thing, i prefer system wide metrics but perhaps the only advantage of xml ui is in unicode because it doesn't care about system installed locales/support and will always display unicode menus and toolbars regardless of system wide fonts..so problems like xdot's never happen there and this becomes especially useful when testing non-latin language localisations, in kmeleon you will need to have the proper fonts and pack installed and locale set to that language but that isn't required in xul

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 26, 2010 05:41PM

@disrupted AFAICanGuess adXok has installed Bulgarian language support by default smiling smiley

@adXok maybe ask at the Russian K-Meleon Forum, they use K-Meleon with unicode and Cyrillic without much problems. And they will know more than we because we use Western European fonts.

BTW. there are problems when You use a older Windows 98/Me because the old operation systems had insufficient Unicode support. If You install K-Meleon on such an old system the K-Meleon installer chooses a different K-Meleon.exe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 10:07PM by guenter.

Date: August 26, 2010 07:46PM

they all look the same to me.. double dutchgrinning smiley it seems they share some vocabularies

it's probably unicode font was changed in windows themes because d-tox mentions it used to work in 1.5.3 which is the reason for confusion thinking it's a bug in next releases.

kmeleon russian site: http://kmeleon.geckoworld.ru/

Date: August 29, 2010 01:03PM

Regional settings for non-Unicode programs: Bulgarian
Menus font: Tahoma (notepad, video player subs show Tahoma with cyrillyc correctly)
Windows XP Pro SP3 (last updated december 2009) default Classic theme (I use it every time I'm reinstalling Windows, never change anything, just Desktop wallpaper)

Opera, IE, Maxthon all shows the Favourites correct.
When I import the bookmarks.html file form K-meleon in Maxthon - the same problem. I rename them and is fine.

And I repeat - older versions of K-meleon (1.5.3) worked fine!

Russians and Bulgarian, also Mongolian, Kazahtstans, Ukrainians Macedonians, some parts of Serbia and others use cyrillic.
Even if Russia is the biggest country in the world of them all doesn't mean they are the inventors of the Cyrillic alphabet. We all now that bulgarians are. winking smiley

Maybe like any latin users script notes look the same in writtng for us. winking smiley

Maxthon, Opera and Flock allow me to write on my facebook-wall at a glance and use my Backspace key without turnning back the page.

smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2010 01:09PM by adXok.

Posted by: desga2
Date: August 29, 2010 09:49PM

Can you say us if your bookmarks.html file is ANSI or UTF-8 charset codification?

You can look it opening the file with some "advanced" text editor as Notepad++ or PsPad.

I think you need the bookmarks.html file will to be UTF-8 to the characters should be showed correctly.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: September 10, 2010 08:52AM

I mean clean install and making bookmarks inside K-meleon do not show them correctly. Importing old bookmarks from previos versions works the same way.
Imoprting them in Maxthon works fine.

Back to v1.5.3 - everything works OK.

All of a sudden with the new development release cyrillic works fine in Favourtites menus!

Still Backspace is acting like Back to Previous page when editing in Write to Wall text-boxes in Facebook and other sites. ;(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 09:05AM by adXok.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.