Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
[.9beta4] selection & new window button
Posted by: ra
Date: December 16, 2004 06:09PM

0.9 beta4 on WinXP SP2, layers plugin disabled.

- Select any word on a webpage or in an input box (e.g. on this forum).
- Click on new window button.

=> New window will be opened, that's trying to resolve the selected word as a domain name...

If you right-click the new window button before clicking on it you will notice that there's only one option there: "new window". Clicking on "new window" does what it says it does. That's a bit strange, because the only option that is there does s.th. different than the button itself.

If I understood jsnj correctly there sould be some (more) options on right-clicking the button. But where did they go, or am I mistaken? :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [.9beta4] selection & new window button
Posted by: jsnj
Date: December 16, 2004 09:37PM

- Select any word on a webpage or in an input box (e.g. on this forum).
- Click on new window button.

=> New window will be opened, that's trying to resolve the selected word as a domain name...

Or a hyperlink if a non-linked url string is selected, or Keyword Autosearch if that's enabled, or Duplicate Layer/Window if the URL Bar text is selected.

If you right-click the new window button before clicking on it you will notice that there's only one option there: "new window". Clicking on "new window" does what it says it does. That's a bit strange, because the only option that is there does s.th. different than the button itself.

Not sure why that's strange. The menu listing is there in case for some reason you wanna open a window that has nothing to do with the text currently selected. Although it would be a rare occassion that someone would first select text then choose to open a new page having nothing to do with the text selected, that option is there nevertheless. The parallel is the same when layers are enabled. Button works for text if text is selected, New Layer menu listing ignores the selected text.

If I understood jsnj correctly there sould be some (more) options on right-clicking the button. But where did they go, or am I mistaken?

In Windows Only mode there is only one option in the menu. The only other options available are for layers, so in that mode they're not listed.

Currently there is a bit of a conflict with the 'URL Bar text options' if 'Always open in New layer/window' is chosen. An extra blank layer/window will open if the selected text feature of that button is used.. I'll fix that by next version.

Date: December 17, 2004 12:36AM

Or a hyperlink if a non-linked url string is selected, or Keyword Autosearch if that's enabled, or Duplicate Layer/Window if the URL Bar text is selected.

Yeah, exactly. You never know what it is, what the user selected.

So I think it would be useful to make the different possibilities available to choose from (right click), with the default action remaining like it is, if it has to (I don't see that much of a use in trying to resolve a few words as a domain name... ;-) It would be a little bit different if you could check whether it might be a domain name, but that's probably difficult with the current macro language).

Not sure why that's strange. The menu listing is there in case for some reason you wanna open a window that has nothing to do with the text currently selected. Although it would be a rare occassion that someone would first select text then choose to open a new page having nothing to do with the text selected, that option is there nevertheless.

I'm not sure if it is so rare. I stumpled upon it on the third or fourth time I used the button. I had selected some text in a forum message box to move it around to another place, then I decided to open a new window to look s.th. up. The text was still selected, but I had no intention to make use of it in the new window.

But well, that's just me and *one* example where the feature might cause some asthonishment. If other's don't complain, they are probably happy with it ... :-)

If I understood jsnj correctly there sould be some (more) options on right-clicking the button. But where did they go, or am I mistaken?

In Windows Only mode there is only one option in the menu. The only other options available are for layers, so in that mode they're not listed.

Okay, I thought they were for the different possibilities available.

Date: December 17, 2004 12:41AM

other's => others

Date: December 17, 2004 06:00AM

I don't need to know. The user decides when & how they want to use that button. And they can use it for all those functions. The functions don't need to be separated if they are available from that button with 1 left-click (not 2 clicks which right-clicking requires). The crux of the matter here is if it's a common occurrence for users to select text and then decide to open a new layer/window with that button for a different reason that has nothing to do with that selected text. I don't think that's a common occurrence. For those rare occassions, the right-click option exists. But feedback will dictate whether your described behavior is common enough and a change is needed.

Date: December 17, 2004 12:49PM

I don't need to know. The user decides when & how they want to use that button. And they can use it for all those functions.

Only I know what I want to do with the text, if it is an URL or if I want to look it up in the dictionary or if I want to google for it. The button doesn't know. It's a serious waste of time if K-M tries to resolve words as a domain name (=> timeout) if I just want to know what these words mean (dictionary) or do a Google search.

I don't get the reason why you are against offering the different possibilities on a right click. It doesn't hurt in any way to have them.

The functions don't need to be separated if they are available from that button with 1 left-click (not 2 clicks which right-clicking requires).

Well, maybe. But still, why don't you offer more than that single function on right-clicking? Seeing what is possible would help to understand what the buttons does, too, I think.

Agreed on the crux.

Date: December 17, 2004 11:41PM

Only I know what I want to do with the text, if it is an URL or if I want to look it up in the dictionary or if I want to google for it. The button doesn't know.

Umm...yeah, users control what they want to do, not buttons. Buttons just aid in their doing so. So if you want to use it as a 'Go to URL in New page(open as hyperlink)', you can. If you normally open new blank pages but occassionally want a "Duplicate Page", you can click the URL bar address and use this button as such. If you normally display search results in the current page but occassionally want results in a new page, then you can use it as a 'Search for selected text in New Page' when Keyword Autosearch is enabled. So YOU're in full control, not the button. What you keep seeming to suggest is that this button will be used unintentionally when text is highlighted. That still depends on feedback. So far, you're the only one who has made this an issue. If others follow suite and say it's a hindrance, I'll change it.

It's a serious waste of time if K-M tries to resolve words as a domain name

FF & all the IE based browsers enable Keyword Autosearch by default. KM users can do so via Tools. When enabled, the text is automatically searched for or in the case of "I'm Feeling Lucky", the first found related site appears. So it's not a waste of time if you choose to use it as such. If you don't like or use keyword autosearch, then you wouldn't use that button when page text is selected unless it's an un-linked URL address.

I don't get the reason why you are against offering the different possibilities on a right click. It doesn't hurt in any way to have them.

If they are all offered in one button with 1 click, why bloat unnecessarily. If I change the button, it'll be to just go with the command and ditch the macro. That as I mentioned before depends on feedback on the crux.

Seeing what is possible would help to understand what the buttons does, too, I think.

Not IMO. Seeing the features extracted and spelled out separately in the right-click menu doesn't automatically translate into "left-clicking on this button when text is highlighted provides all of these features in this menu". Once v0.9 Final is out, documentation should be updated spelling out all the new available features since v0.8.2.

Date: December 18, 2004 06:12PM

Only I know what I want to do with the text, if it is an URL or if I want to look it up in the dictionary or if I want to google for it. The button doesn't know.

Umm...yeah, users control what they want to do, not buttons. Buttons just aid in their doing so. So if you want to use it as a 'Go to URL in New page(open as hyperlink)', you can. If you normally open new blank pages but occassionally want a "Duplicate Page", you can click the URL bar address and use this button as such. If you normally display search results in the current page but occassionally want results in a new page, then you can use it as a 'Search for selected text in New Page' when Keyword Autosearch is enabled. So YOU're in full control, not the button.

Mmh, okay, but honestly it's not that intuitive. So I still hope for more possibilities on right-clicking to be able to *directly* access the different options, esp. if I'm unsure what will happen, don't have keyword autosearch enabled (it's *disabled* by default!) or if I want to do s.th. different (Google search vs. dictionary search or the intentional-unintentional thing).

What you keep seeming to suggest is that this button will be used unintentionally when text is highlighted.

No. I still think that will happen, but I have not been suggesting anything in that direction in my last post. <quote>Agreed on the crux.</quote>

I think you got me, your mileage varies and because of that you don't want to add or change s.th.. Well, then ... let's quite this discussion. ;-)

Re: [.9beta4] selection &amp; new window button
Date: December 18, 2004 06:33PM

Oops, quite => quit

Re: [.9beta4] selection &amp; new window button
Date: December 18, 2004 09:45PM

So I still hope for more possibilities on right-clicking to be able to *directly* access the different options, esp. if I'm unsure what will happen

I don't understand your thinking. There is nothing preventing you from accessing those features directly by left-clicking the button. The ONLY reason you'd be unsure what will happen is if you don't know what the button does or what your personal settings are. It's not that complicated. The button opens a new layer/window. If text is highlighted, it'll be sent to the URL Bar of the new layer/window. That's all. I've already spelled out the possibilities that action affords. It makes no sense to separate those features in a right-click menu because why would anyone right-click the button to get to a feature that can be 'directly' accessed more quickly by left-clicking that very button. The only items I'd add to the right-click menu would be those that are not offered by directly left-clicking the button. The other toolbar buttons' menus that have an item which parallels its button's left-click functionality exist as such because those button menus are simply re-used submenus that exist within the Main menu. Removing the parallel items would result in additional menus needed to be created just for the toolbar buttons. That of course would create unnecessary bloat to the menus.cfg file.

your mileage varies and because of that you don't want to add or change s.th.

I don't know what you mean by varied mileage, it's not as if I'm too tired to do as you request. Your request just doesn't happen to make sense to me. I'll change something if it's warranted. So far, a change isn't yet warranted in this case IMO. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.