Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
ebay trouble
Posted by: kellyegirl
Date: September 20, 2010 10:51PM

First, thanks for everyone's diligent work in making K-Meleon an excellent browser. I am a huge fan! I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with. When I am using ebay, the seller description of items does not show up on my screen. I am having to use other browsers when I want to use ebay in order to read what the seller has said about the item to be sold. I have really tried to fix this by reading through several months of the forum on K-Meleon and also by trying a variety of user agents - all without success. Please help me resolve this as I really want to be able to use K-Meleon for everything I do on the internet. Sincerely yours......

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ebay trouble
Posted by: siria
Date: September 20, 2010 11:10PM

Hmm... just played there a little, I do see descriptions (I guess :coolsmiling smiley, but when clicking that "Read more" link above, it seems to need popups allowed - is that what you mean...? Not sure, but perhaps just try, the Popup-Toggle is in Tools>Privacy, or in my beloved Privacy Toolbar (if switched on), and a toggle plus exceptions is in
Edit > Configuration (F2) > Content Filters

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 11:13PM by siria.

Date: September 27, 2010 07:44AM

Thanks so much for your reply. This can be a little confusing....I can see some of the information about the ebay item being sold - but I can not see what is referred to as "seller description of item". When I use another browser, such as Opera, I can see the seller description - it is information submitted by the seller which describes the item specifics in their own words. Also, I can not see information from my banking site after I try to login to online banking when using K-Meleon. Once again, I have to use another browser to be able to use my online banking site. I do not have pop-ups blocked. Please HELP with this if you can.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: September 27, 2010 09:37AM

Hi, Kellyegirl,

if that is in KM 1.5.4? Maybe you want to try the current 1.6.0 preBeta (alias cp4) from here?.

Everything looks fine to me on ebay.de with that one.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: September 27, 2010 09:50AM

... found it, probably:

under F2 -> Page Display -> General (tab) -> Frames:
both boxes need to be ticked, in addition to the
PopUp exception siria wrote about, else ...

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 09:56AM by SoerenB.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 29, 2010 11:33AM

Can we move this to General?

Date: September 29, 2010 11:41AM

I'm starting to wonder... What would you think about creating a sticky thread "Sites needing special settings", where a mod keeps editing the first post to keep it up-to-date...?

Date: September 29, 2010 11:18PM

Can we move this to General?
Definitely.

siria
What would you think about creating a sticky thread "Sites needing special settings", where a mod keeps editing the first post to keep it up-to-date...?

My suggestion, NOT excluding siria's:
Rename the whole "K-Meleon Bugs" forum to "Troubleshooting".

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 07:53AM by SoerenB.

Date: September 30, 2010 12:07AM

YES!! grinning smiley

Date: September 30, 2010 03:22AM

Bugs stands for K-Meleon bugs. And the Forum part is needed for it. IMHO.

So IMHO these site specific problems do not belong here.

No idea whether we need an extra forum for such site troubles.

For me - the questions and answers look like general user support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 03:24AM by guenter.

Date: September 30, 2010 03:54AM

Hi. I am the original poster of this thread (ebay trouble). I do apologize if I posted it in the wrong area. I am relatively new to this forum. I wanted to update this thread by letting you all know that the "frames" solution has fixed the browser issues that I was experiencing. My next concern would be... I had disabled frames because I read that allowing frames was a security risk. Can anyone here let me know if that is a concern to have. Also, it makes no difference to me if this post is moved to General, as long as I know where to follow it at.

Thank you all so very much!!!

Date: September 30, 2010 07:52AM

Hi, kellyegirl,

you are not the first, and you won't be the last to post about something that you experience as "buggy behaviour when using K-Meleon"

-- which may be caused by ANYTHING, including bad site design and own misconfiguration --

in a forum that is meant for "K-Meleon bugs" exclusively, in an utterly strict sense,

-- excluding even bugs of the GRE, an important constituent of K-Meleon --

guenter,

Bugs stands for K-Meleon bugs. And the Forum part is needed for it. IMHO.

An extra bug reporting system does exist, isn't that enough - assuming a "Troubleshooting" forum would be the place where most of the genuine K-Meleon bugs would appear first, anyway?

Günter, ich glaube, das ist einfach auch eine Frage des (internationalen?) Sprachgebrauchs. Solange Du das Forum nicht "K-Meleon Bugs in the Strict Sense as defined HERE" nennst, wird es unter "K-Meleon Bugs" immer mehr Inhalt geben als berechtigt.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 07:55AM by SoerenB.

Date: September 30, 2010 10:02AM

kellyegirl
I do apologize if I posted it in the wrong area.

No need to. In the beginning nobody can know whether something is a K-Meleon, a site bug, a extension bug, ...(except with some FAQs e.g. New Yahoo Mail... sad smiley ).

This Forum and posting here is AFAIK part of the bug reporting procedure/guideline.

Problems are either verified as bugs or not.

When others can reproduce the steps that results in evoking the problem it becomes a bug. The next stage is mentioned by SoerenB. When others have reproduced the problem as K-Meleon bug, the new bug is added to the bug tracker.

When others cannot reproduce the bug it stays here, yet another mystery and possible bug on one PC. The reproducing is needed to give the devs a chance to fix. They waunt even start to try to fix until it can be reproduced on several PCs.

When others know or find that it is a settings error of the user, a site or a extension specific issue it stops to be a possible K-Meleon bug. And consequently it can be moved to General (support) or Extensions Forums respectively.

I am only a moderator, speak a foreign language and ask to make sure whether the topic is no bug.

p.s. SoerenB bin zu faul den Link mit der Bug-Report-Anleitung im Wiki zu suchen.
Denke aber das sie so etwa ist, wie ich geschrieben hab.

Wenn ich alle Nicht-Bugs weg bewege sind die wirklichen Bugs leichter zu finden. Daann kann der nächste, der einen seltenen Bug findet und reproduzieren kann, ihn finden & weiss, dass das schon mal war.

Wenn alles hier bleibt, ertrinkt Wichtiges, so wie es im General immer passiert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 10:17AM by guenter.

Date: October 01, 2010 09:22AM

Hi, guenter,

so I was wrong here:

a forum that is meant for "K-Meleon bugs" exclusively, in an utterly strict sense,

-- excluding even bugs of the GRE, an important constituent of K-Meleon --

and it is okay that bug triage is done here?

Well, I'm afraid I have to apologize to some people for being too harsh with them ...

Then I'd go back to siria's sug*gestion:

creating a sticky thread "Sites needing special settings", where a mod keeps editing the first post

This has one serious disadvantage: more workload for the mod.

I'd sug*gest a slightly different approach: a sticky WITH A CRYING TITLE that leads to a "HowTo search the forum for Dummies"

I'd volunteer to write that, if more than two persons ask me ...

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 01, 2010 03:33PM

Here is one dummy asking you, SoerenB. This might be a very good time since the forum search is working better now.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.