Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WTF????
Posted by: Kat
Date: April 28, 2004 08:49PM

I've just started getting this:

when I start K-Meleon. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but...

I must admit, it says the opposite of what I'd expect it to...

Any ideas?

Any clues?

Ta!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WTF????
Date: April 28, 2004 08:53PM

OOPS! No images, then.

What it says is: "Java plugin for Netscape Navigator should not be used in Microsoft Internet Explorer" <Spit!> . Please use Java plugin for Microsoft Internet Explorer instead."

I'd've expected it to be the other way round.

What have I done?!?!?!?!?

Date: April 28, 2004 08:56PM

See if this works...

Date: April 28, 2004 08:56PM

See if this works...

Date: April 28, 2004 08:57PM

Oh, well. I tried...

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 29, 2004 06:53PM

That usually happens if your user agent is set to IE on startup.

Posted by: Nick
Date: April 30, 2004 05:39PM

No, this is a java console error.

Go to Windows control panel - fire up the Java Plug-In app, and there will be a 'browser tab'.

Un-tick them ALL!! KM doesn't need it, and nor does Java..

Nick

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 01, 2004 01:16PM

that is a picture? yes - probably fun?

Date: May 01, 2004 01:47PM

MSIEs until 5.5 first service pack were able to use Netscape plugins.
but i am not sure whether java plugin too. (but probably!)
(netscape plugin support was abandoned with second service pack for 5.5 - becuase MS had won the browser war and did not need that any more sad smiley

Date: May 02, 2004 01:21PM

Deselected all browsers in Jave. No change. Identified as Netscape 6. Problm solved!

Thanks for your suggestions, guys!

Posted by: archfiend
Date: May 24, 2004 01:29AM

I've tried to do that, still does the same thing when I start Firefox. Any more suggestions would be highly appreciated! Thank you.

Date: May 24, 2004 06:50AM

Firefox? k-m You mean?- never mind my darft comment! - i support both, if You want.

make sure netscape support is wanted from Java plugin. (via java console in system)

A well configured collection of plugins is installed if You install a Netscape 4.8 or 7.1 or any standart issue, large corporate Netscape.

to "force" finding plugin and/or give precendence to them copy into k-m plugin folder!

that is what You can do if all else fails. When the Gecko browser installed with plugin uses them and FF or k-m do not, they are smply brocken, because they must find and use them (speaking of 0.8 version!s) best weekend hope You get it running.

Posted by: Ander
Date: July 06, 2004 09:00PM

You've probably ironed all this out by now, but...

I was getting the same error---even when not running a browser! (That was a puzzler.)

Indeed, I'd left Mozilla set to impersonate IE. You can do this via the drop-down on Mozilla's toolbar.

It should say "Real UA" (meaning that it's just being itself, Mozilla.) If it says "NS" or "IE" (followed by a version number), it's impersonating one of those browsers, and can cause Java to wig out. Setting it back to "Real UA" solved the problem.

Cheers, Ander

Posted by: Ralph Finch
Date: September 24, 2004 06:11PM

Joining this thread late, I have the same problem. Firefox 1.0PR, and I must have changed the UA to MSIE, then exited Firefox that way. Now I get the same Java Plug-in message referred to.

Windows XP SP1.

I've tried uninstalling Firefox and Java, searching in and deleting any keys in the registry that contain the strings mozilla, or firefox, or java, or netscape...nothing works. I cannot get Firefox to work again, even with all the fresh installs of everything.

Help! I want my Firefox back! Please?
RF

Date: September 25, 2004 12:13PM

AFAIK it is a known gecko bug.
hm? i thought they had fixed that for FF 1.0?
anyway: do not worry about it - the bugg is harmless & known.

Reinstall FF? Just one question - what 4.

more seriously now ; o )
Normally You should be able to reinstall FF
after system shut down and restart (at the latest)

maybe try to install a nightly?
& make sure that You have the Windows admin rights.

Posted by: Jay
Date: September 27, 2004 01:10AM

I started getting this message too after upgarding to FF1.0 ... now I can't even start FF... any ideas appreciated

Posted by: David Allen
Date: September 27, 2004 06:05PM

Just found the resolution.
Remove the prefs.js from your profile.
At least it fix it for me

Posted by: Lo_toad
Date: October 05, 2004 06:16PM

Well done dave! - just worked for me too, cheers!

Posted by: Jim
Date: October 07, 2004 02:34AM

You can also edit prefs.js, and remove the "user agent" line. Just tried it, and it started up.... Cheers.

Posted by: roakka
Date: October 08, 2004 03:45AM

Joining this thread late.....glad to hear that some of you are having success. I wish I was too :0(

I was happily using firefox 9.1 and K-Meleon 0.8. Both worked well. I was using the "Switch User Agent" plug in for FF, but not KM. I decided to upgrade FF to 1.0PR, the install appeared to go OK till I fired up FF.....got that familiar message"
"Java Plug-in for Netscape Navigator should not be used in Microsoft Internet Explorer. Please use Java Plug-in for Microsoft Internet Explorer instead."
I then removed and reinstalled FF.....same problem. Then I uninstalled FF, deleted the Firefox directory and all sub-directories then cleared the registry of all links to FF. I reinstalled FF.....again got the error. "prefs.js" didn't have a lot of info to begin with but I deleted it anyway -> same error. Any suggestions (and please don't include the words "use" with "Internet Explorer".......I still have K-Meleon)

:0)

Posted by: Roakka
Date: October 08, 2004 04:32AM

OK!! Found my fix (read it on another forum)! I removed Firefox 1.0PR and installed my old FF 9.3. This worked fine! The I went to the Tools dropdown, User Agent Switcher and reset it to default. Then I uninstalled FF 9.3 and again installed FF 1.0PR again. Low and behold it worked!

Interesting thing, I use multiple home pages (great feature). When I reinstalled FF 9.3 the browser found all of my old home pages. I find this odd as I cleared the FireFox directory and subdirectories, then cleared the windows registry of all links to FF. The preferences must be hidden under a different name in the registry. Whatever the cause, my two favorite browsers are working again. Long Live Open Source!

(in case someone is wondering, my search began on the FF support pages - a search of Mozillazine brought me here)

Date: October 08, 2004 04:44AM

they may (very likely - Your finding old things indicates this) have used differnt name and location - such as phoenix - or serveral profiles - have a look for pref.js files on c:/ each mozilla gecko and profile will have one - regards

Posted by: PL
Date: November 05, 2004 07:06AM

I had the same problem. I've installed the User Agent Switcher 0.6. Although
Firefox should switch back to "default" at shutdown(user_pref("useragentswitcher.reset.onclose", true)winking smiley.

I couldn't switch back the configuration through the GUI, because firefox didn't show up. It was consuming 100% CPU, but no gui.

Resolution:
I deleted following line in "prefs.js":

user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)");

regards

Posted by: Metro
Date: November 06, 2004 02:06PM

Thanks for the help -- alsso could not start PR1 today as I closed it with it impersonating IE6 - I deleted useragent references and it started - now I can re install the switcher ---

Posted by: Nilay
Date: November 14, 2004 01:38PM

Yes.... Uninstalled, Reinstalled, Uninstalled, Reinstalled.... *pulled out all my hair*.... but now its working.

Couldn't find the prefs.js file at first... then deleted the whole Firefox folder under Application Data/Mozilla, and started anew.

Too bad... I have to again install all my plugins....

Anyway thanks Dave for helping me out

Cheers

Nilay

Posted by: &amp;nbsp;
Date: November 15, 2004 04:55AM

nasty bug.. do not play with user-agent switcher smiling smiley.
how to solve: edit following constants in your prefs.js:

user_pref("general.appname.override", "");
user_pref("general.appversion.override", "");
user_pref("general.platform.override", "Win32");
user_pref("general.skins.selectedSkin", "Noia2f");
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "");

to start firefox you can leave blank values as in above example.
thanx for your findings Dave!

Posted by: skeltzer
Date: November 17, 2004 07:51PM

Finally, this worked for me. Thanks nbsp.

Posted by: Justin
Date: December 09, 2004 07:41PM

FF 1.0 wouldn't open for me after I set my user agent to IE and quit. Uninstall/reinstall didn't work, but once I found the prefs.js and removed the line where I had written MSIE it worked great.

Under XP, my prefs file was found at:
C:\Documents and Settings\*YOUR LOGON*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jjikwi17.default\prefs.js

Of course the Application Data folder is a hidden system folder, so it may not be visible on your computer.

Posted by: Nix
Date: December 09, 2004 11:03PM

So the question has to be why are we allowed to change it to not to be reset at shutdown.

Because if it doesn't get reset then we can't start up FF.

Maybe it's only the case if you've switched it to IE

Posted by: RKK
Date: December 10, 2004 09:58PM

Yay! After many, many searches I am finally able to use my FireFox again!! And all because of this line ( user_pref("general.useragent.override", ""); )... sad smiley

Well, thanks all for your help! smiling smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.