Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Crash: Yahoo Finance News
Posted by: Fred
Date: October 30, 2010 06:11PM

HI, opening some, not all, Yahoo Finance News pages crashes K-Meleon and my computer completely.
Go to http://finance.yahoo.com/
and try 3 or 4 links in the "TOP STORIES" box.
Not that not all of them are crashing, I'd say 1/2 of them.

The taskbar is reading "waiting for l.yimg.vom" or something similar and nothing else happens. Everything is frozen, K-Meleon, the PC, everything. No BSOD, just no responsiveness. (even Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work)
And I can say that's very rare that a software crashes my PC in such a way.

Other websites work fine.

I have seen this problem only with this browser.

I'm using K-Meleon 1.5.4 and I have tried several previous version down to 1.5.0 and the 1.6a4 as well. All with the same problem.

I'v tried several configurations, without result.
I didn't experience any other problem other than that.

Platform: Fully updated w98se,
1.8Ghz pentium4, 1 Gb of ram.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crash: Yahoo Finance News
Date: October 30, 2010 06:59PM

If we can continue the related discussion from the "Crash report Thread" here, here you are (repost):

It happens indeed that turning my graphic card from 1024x768 TrueColor to 640x480 HiColor seems to fix the issue. But when I tried another setup in between, 800x600 HiColor the problem was back.

IMO it's more than one unfortunate setting.

For the screen resolution pluging (workaround), I doubt it will work for me since the keyboard itself is not responding. If you don't call this a crash, I don't know. LOL.:mad:

I have installed the bug report plugin but I haven seen him doing anything at all.

My graphic card is an old NVidia GeForce3 T2 based ASUS V8200, 64Mb.
DirectX version: 9.0c (the latest working on w98se)

Respectfuly.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 30, 2010 09:07PM

Clueless....
Just wild guessing into the blue (and not daring to try myself grinning smiley) - perhaps that svg bug...? 'Finance' sounds like there could be used svg graphics. And my knowledge of such stuff is so tiny that this is all that comes to mind :cool:

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 30, 2010 09:17PM

Fred,

I just tried the first three stories on that site and had no problem. I have a different operating system and graphics system.

Compaq Presario
1.80 gigahertz AMD Sempron
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE [Display adapter] resolution 1024x768
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
KM 1.6.0a4

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 30, 2010 10:06PM

siria
Clueless....
Just wild guessing into the blue (and not daring to try myself grinning smiley) - perhaps that svg bug...? 'Finance' sounds like there could be used svg graphics. And my knowledge of such stuff is so tiny that this is all that comes to mind :cool:

Finance = like flash content (detailed charts) and movies (News / often flash player interface different codecs) - not rare graphics formats. grinning smiley

@siria - You are the only one around that can try to test.

@Fred, make sure that You have flash updated. That the only thing I can think of right now - as source for this new problem (BTW. You are the second Forum user with nickname Fred - Let me call You "BalticFred" in future smiling smiley the other Fred is not from the sea )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2010 10:08PM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 30, 2010 11:43PM

I tried all links and work fine to me, not system freeze or crash, with K-Meleon 1.5.4.
PIV 1.7 GHz, XP SP3, 512 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Are you tried with other browsers; IE, Seamonkey, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, ...?
Are you tried to update your video card drivers?

As guenter said, try to update Flash player or load the website with Flasblock enabled and/or JavaScript enable/disable.

Also you can try to update Java, but I don't think this is the problem.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2010 11:47PM by desga2.

Date: October 31, 2010 12:20AM

desga2
I tried all links and work fine to me, not system freeze or crash, with K-Meleon 1.5.4.
PIV 1.7 GHz, XP SP3, 512 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Are you tried with other browsers; Firefox,

IMHO it is Win98 specific.

Else it is a problem of flash or the rich content pages with a PC that has limited RAM.

desga2 to me You seem out of competition for this testing.
Good Laptop with XP and much RAM.

A Firefox for test with similar GRE as K-Meleon 1.5.4 is at
http://user.xthost.info/kmupdate/firefox2.0.0.22.7z
Use You own Virus scan before You use this Firefox.

Greetings go to LT, the US, De and ES from Hanover (DE) from guenter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 12:26AM by guenter.

Date: October 31, 2010 09:50AM

Okay, went suicidal and tried :cool:

First test with all 7 Top Stories ("Experts"-"Fox"): Fine.
Next test, all with javascript allowed: Fine.
Third test, all with embedded objects allowed (Flash 9.x in my case): Fine.
But at the third test JS was already ON, so Flashblock prevents Flash. Didn't notice any flash placeholders, but frankly, took only a 1sec glimpse and forgot to search for them ;-)

UA: Default.

Java: not installed
Still blocked: Flashblock, Ads, Popups, Cookies, Animation, Referer, DOMstorage, svg-graphics

Did I mention that was with KM1.6cp4-preBeta :cool: *whistle*
Have NOT dared to try yet with KM154, and am not planning to allow svg, because when I learned about that bug quite awhile ago, that stuff DID crash my system - not a nice feeling tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 10:00AM by siria.

Date: October 31, 2010 12:32PM

Thanks for all your answers: It's the same problem experienced by w98 users described in the the "Crash report Thread".
In this thread it was found that it happened under certain screen definition setups. I could verify that by changing my screen definition and the problem disapeared. Unfortunately I can't keep this screen definition for obvious reason.

Flash has never given me any trouble and was disabled anyway. On other browsers everything is fine including FF and IE.

The only thing that I see other than that is svg.
How do I disable that?

Date: October 31, 2010 12:45PM

Sorry, the problem happens in FF too but not in IE or IE based brpowsers such as Maxthon.

Date: October 31, 2010 12:47PM

Fred
Thanks for all your answers: It's the same problem experienced by w98 users described in the the "Crash report Thread".
In this thread it was found that it happened under certain screen definition setups. I could verify that by changing my screen definition and the problem disapeared. Unfortunately I can't keep this screen definition for obvious reason.

Flash has never given me any trouble and was disabled anyway. On other browsers everything is fine including FF and IE.

The only thing that I see other than that is svg.
How do I disable that?

1.) Means Yours is a verification to the described bug. Sorry that I did not understand that. sad smiley

2.) about:config / Browser configuration use Filter to get:

"svg.enabled" and toggle the value to false.

But the older svg bug has been fixed several months ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 01:58PM by guenter.

Date: October 31, 2010 12:49PM

Hmm... if you have that Screen-resolution-thing, it has most likely nothing to do with svg. But IIRC Doon had also created and posted a little tool that can be started with a shortcut if the screen is frozen, and it just toggles the resolution back and forth. Guess he said the problem is not the size of the resolution itself, it's only needed to change it, and afterwards can be changed back. Perhaps in another thread, not sure.

LOL guenter, we're simultanously posting again! grinning smiley
Okay, if svg was already fixed in KM154, then it's out of question anyway smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 12:50PM by siria.

Date: October 31, 2010 01:11PM

Siria, the plugin to toggle the screen resolution back and forth won't work because the whole system is frozen. Completely frozen.

I have made more tests: I blocked everything under "Tools"==> "Privacy". Then I unblocked things one by one, everytime refreshing the page....
and it crashed when I unblocked "images".

Then I did the reverse test: I allowed everything except "images". And as expected it didn't crash. As soon as I allowed images, it frooze again.

So the issue is with pictures. Which ones I don't know.
As svg are pictures, I'm going to see if that makes a difference following Gunter's instruction.

Date: October 31, 2010 01:56PM

OK I saved a local copy of the page on my HD and the local copy crashed too.
Then I tested by removing some pictures from the local folder and tested again:

GIF pictures are freezing KM.
JPG and PNG don't.

I don't know what's so special with these gif's. They open normaly in a picture viewer or in IE.
I don't know if it's all the gif's or only certain gif's or only gif's while on this page. But I hope this helps.

Date: October 31, 2010 02:32PM

Fred
OK I saved a local copy of the page on my HD and the local copy crashed too.
Then I tested by removing some pictures from the local folder and tested again:

GIF pictures are freezing KM.
JPG and PNG don't.

I don't know what's so special with these gif's. They open normaly in a picture viewer or in IE.
I don't know if it's all the gif's or only certain gif's or only gif's while on this page. But I hope this helps.

Cleverly tested!

It cannot be all gifs - else this page would crash Your K-Meleon. It contains a gif smiling smiley

Maybe send the responsible gif to me and I post it in forum so that the devs have it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 02:34PM by guenter.

Date: October 31, 2010 02:35PM

:O gifs?!? WEIRD!
That's definitely crazy, and I definitely have no probs with them or ever heard of probs. Then again, who knows, occasionally someone has a crashing prob that happens only on his machine and no one can reproduce, perhaps sometimes a special gif is the culprit, in combination with a special hardware or such??

To figure out if that happens in combination with that page only, and which image exactly is the culprit, you could open those gifs directly from the folder with the browser... :cool:

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: October 31, 2010 06:05PM

static or animated gifs?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: November 02, 2010 08:49PM

-The GIF's are static (I think), it's logo gifs.
-I can open these GIF's in K-M without problem
-The full page and files can be dowloaded here: http://www.htasoft.com/misc/testpage_4kameleon.zip

I also think it's a combination of GIF and web page and/or hardware.

Date: November 04, 2010 11:07PM

Okay, downloaded and tried, but no luck ;-) (uff! :coolsmiling smiley
The folder name in the zip must be renamed, the "copy of" in the beginning deleted, that was easy to realize.
Recklessly enabled javascript, and (harmless of course) animations and ads.
Kept the other stuff still blocked, and guess java not installed.
Blocked internet connexion.

Man, there are *21* javascripts in that one page!!
And that with my JS allergy, yikes tongue sticking out smiley
Perhaps that widgetLoader-script...? That was the last one I dared to enable, and the page wanted to access the internet but I stubbornly refused :cool:

By the way, have you tried with fake user agents too????
It's in the privacy menu, and in most cases FF works best.
Someone said the initial UA in cp4 had already been some customized string, probably by accident before upload, and that's why something crashed on him too (hmm, but you tried with other versions too, so it cannot really be the reason here)

Anyway, an everyday UA prob could IMO well be, since that widget-loader thing loads something from the web and seeing that so many websites are too stupid to detect the gecko engine from the default user agent string, so that widget may load a wrong script version?? Just a wild guess again, but I'm no expert at all, just a slightly adventurous end user ;-)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 11:20PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.