Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Zoom keys inverted.
Posted by: rxantos
Date: November 12, 2010 02:27PM

When I press the zoom in button (on the keyboard), the browser zooms out. When I use the zoom out key the browser zooms in.

Windows 7, 64 bit.
Kmeleon 1.5.4
keyboard: Microsoft Digital media keyboard 3000

Note: The zoom feature works fine on other browsers I tried, only in kmeleon is inverted.

BTW: Thanks for making a non bloated and useful browser. Please do not make the same mistakes that firefox made and keep it unbloated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Zoom keys inverted (how to switch mousewheel direction)
Posted by: siria
Date: November 12, 2010 07:02PM

Hi rxantos,
glad you like the browser, I like it too grinning smiley
But just because people have different tastes doesn't make one way "right" and another "wrong" in itself, and much less a "bug" tongue sticking out smiley ;-)
It's just that there's no rule for this direction, so in the past every programmer just chose what he liked better himself, and meanwhile it turns out that one direction is going to 'win' the majority. So more and more of the programs with the opposite default direction are switching over, in order to make things easier for users. No idea if meanwhile there may even be a rule, but the whole thing just has historical reasons.

K-Meleon is going to switch too with the next version, KM1.6, which is currently in pre-Beta state, and a new "beta-1" version is nearly finished.

Actually that default direction isn't even a K-Meleon choice, it's an inherited part of the Mozilla gecko engine, which is built into KM. Yes, Mozilla/Firefox had the same direction in the past, but switched it at some point, just for fun here are some 'complaints' about 'wrong' directions in FF:
http://kaioa.com/node/60
http://semicircular.net/2008/05/04/firefox-3-mouse-wheel-text-zoom/

Okay, the gecko engine in KM1.5.x is 'slightly' outdated, so we're a bit behind, but KM 1.6 will make a huge step forward soon, and that includes also changing default zoom direction :cool:

That said, there's fortunately a hidden switch in the gecko engine, allowing every user to choose his own preferred direction! smiling smiley smiling smiley

I realize you're talking about your keyboard key, but on one hand I don't have such a key, cannot test, and on the other people are usually complaining about the mousewheel zoom direction, and there's quite some hope that your key uses the same function as the mouse...

How to switch zoomwheel direction:
You'll have to manually change those two settings

Reverse direction:
mousewheel.withcontrolkey.sysnumlines = false (=ignore system default)
mousewheel.withcontrolkey.numlines = -1 (switch between "1" and "-1")

To be true, I just found this today, and cannot guarantee that this doesn't have any other side-effects... If you or anyone finds one, please post it smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 09:58PM by siria.

Date: November 12, 2010 08:10PM

Must admit, couldn't quite stop playing with this yet, so here's a little macro that creates a menu entry for toggling easier smiling smiley

Open Notepad and copy&paste the blue text below, then save as e.g."Zoom_toggleWheel.kmm" into a macros folder. Make sure it has NO .txt ending!
Tested in KM 1.5.4 and KM 1.6 preBeta (cp4)
After restarting the browser you'll find a new entry in menu View>Zoom:

# Forum: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,112080

Zoom_toggleWheel{
macroinfo="Switch direction for zooming with Ctrl+MouseWheel";
# Set "zoom" function on Ctrl+MouseWheel:
setpref(INT,"mousewheel.withcontrolkey.action","3");
# Make K-Meleon ignore the system setting:
setpref(BOOL,"mousewheel.withcontrolkey.sysnumlines","false");
# Invert the value of "numlines" (toogle positive/negative)
$_i=0-getpref(INT,"mousewheel.withcontrolkey.numlines");
$_i==0 ? $_i= 1 :0;
setpref(INT,"mousewheel.withcontrolkey.numlines",$_i);
}

_Zoom_BuildWheelMenu{
setmenu("&Zoom",macro,"Reverse MouseWheel Zoom","Zoom_toggleWheel");
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."_Zoom_BuildWheelMenu;";

PS: Just can't decide which menu text you might like better, a longer or shorter one??
Just change the text yourself if you like another better :cool:
More suggestions e.g.:

setmenu("&Zoom",macro,"Toggle MouseWheel Zoom Direction","Zoom_toggleWheel");
setmenu("&Zoom",macro,"Reverse Mouse Zoom (Ctrl+Wheel)","Zoom_toggleWheel");
setmenu("&Zoom",macro,"Reverse MouseWheel Zoom","Zoom_toggleWheel");

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2010 10:34AM by siria.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 13, 2010 09:54AM

This isn't needed for 1.6 because in Gecko 1.9.x already changed the zoom direction.
(Now is using the same that Microsoft)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 13, 2010 10:15AM

The web is full with discussions about "wrong" mouse wheel behaviour. I've studied over an hour yesterday through various heated discussions, from the time when FF2 switched to FF3, and looks like everyone has his own "intuition" which should be the "right" direction, and the other direction feels "unnatural" to him. Must have to do with how our brains work, some people learn more visually and others by hearing and such, we're just differently 'wired' (or just think of different men and women brains grinning smiley). And there's still no common direction for all programs, so you may still end up confused all the time.

Actually lots of people also wrote they don't even really notice if they pull in the wrong direction, since they subconsciously switch it immediately if it shows the wrong zoom, since this happens all the time to them and they are used that nothing works right at first ;-)

In my opinion a menu switch would just be a nice little service to users, and does no harm, since Zooming has it's own short menu, not exploding any ever-growing main menus. And it only takes adding a few lines to zoom.kmm, so just - why not ;-) Such an entry may actually help some people getting aware of the mouse wheel zoom at all - would you believe I 'discovered' that gem only about a year ago?? *blush*
But I don't mean to insist, alternatively we can just as well add a little explanation in FAQ how to switch manually. Will do that anyway, for the people still using KM1.5x smiling smiley

PS: Corrected a little typo in the macro above, and also shortened menu to "Reverse MouseWheel Zoom".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2010 11:08AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.