Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
k-meleon 1.6.0 pre beta adblock plus not installing
Posted by: jackuars
Date: November 15, 2010 01:47AM

i was user of 1.5.4 and i installed adblock plus and had no problems with it. i upgraded to 1.6 and it doesnt show in extensions after extracting zip to k-meleon folder

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: k-meleon 1.6.0 pre beta adblock plus not installing
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 15, 2010 02:30AM

Probably needs another version. I quote this from 1.6beta announcement thread.

use_r
just_me
Hope, You did not forget K-Meleon, Wladimir smiling smiley. Since yesterday first beta is available http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/kmeleon16 or http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/download.php

Wladimir Palant
Right, and Mozilla will probably drop Gecko 1.9.1 support in a month (with Adblock Plus following shortly)...

https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5712&sid=3d1166d0f4cfe63eb11fd3d12d8584b1

sad smiley sad smiley

You could probably try to port the Firefox version - it would likely have similar functions as the one disrupted adapted because the adblock's kplugin was bleeding slightly.

Date: November 16, 2010 01:03AM

You could probably try to port the Firefox version

how to do this? would be grateful if u could tell step by step. so it wouldnt be possible to use any version of adblock plus in 1.6? oh sad smiley . if it aint do u have any idea of other adblockers havin almost same quality like the former. i prefer k-meleon over firefox coz of its lightness and speed. but i need to get ads from my browser and that pisses me off.

Diana

Posted by: morph
Date: November 16, 2010 03:54PM

a) Check Block Advertisement under Tools>Privacy, you tried that at least?
b) Wait for Palant https://adblockplus.org/en/roadmap#unscheduled
c) use 3rd party ad-blocking software http://www.admuncher.com/ for instance

Date: November 17, 2010 12:29PM

option (a) works the best for me. It just blocks all the ads.
Hey a question it seems that block advertisements in k-meleon options just works out like a charm! Why is there a need to use and support ad-block plus(wladmir's) in the browser.
Does this inbuilt option in k-meleon prevents ads from loading at all or these ads gets loaded and then blocked? And does it help in improving the browsing speed? (i guess only the former would help in it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 12:30PM by jackuars.

Posted by: morph
Date: November 17, 2010 03:26PM

jackuars
Why is there a need to use and support ad-block plus(wladmir's) in the browser.

ABP is much more powerfull then built-in option.

jackuars
Does this inbuilt option in k-meleon prevents ads from loading at all or these ads gets loaded and then blocked? And does it help in improving the browsing speed? (i guess only the former would help in it)

It just prevents ads from being displayed. The are still downloaded. See F2>Page Display>Content Filters

Date: November 17, 2010 05:16PM

morph

ABP is much more powerfull then built-in option.

I agree but there is no easy way to get ABP going with 1.6beta.
I already checked and tried. You would need a skilled dev.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 05:19PM by guenter.

Posted by: disrrupted
Date: November 18, 2010 09:21PM

the complications aren't limited to a conversion method. the easiest part is in converting the adp component and filters can be called with an external autoit script without the kplugin- not a proper method but it can work with limitations. the main issues are in the xul handling and calls which have serious bugs in the 1.6 core. even if palant is willing to write a km version, he wouldn't be able to do it without fixing those bugs, other gklayout bugs do exist that evidently cause crashes on ntdll level, unfortunately those bugs can be hard to identify/isolate if previous bugs are not addressed since xul is an integral part of the gecko engine.
several xul-related bugs have been reported for months now and a beta should have not been released without fixing them first. what's the point of testing and reporting bugs in an alpha release if they are not meant to be fixed in the next version? a true stable kmeleon-at least by opensource standards- should have first and foremost fixed the engine core bugs

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1261
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1238
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1237

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 20, 2010 12:52AM

disrrupted
the complications aren't limited to a conversion method. the easiest part is in converting the adp component and filters can be called with an external autoit script without the kplugin- not a proper method but it can work with limitations. the main issues are in the xul handling and calls which have serious bugs in the 1.6 core. even if palant is willing to write a km version, he wouldn't be able to do it without fixing those bugs, other gklayout bugs do exist that evidently cause crashes on ntdll level, unfortunately those bugs can be hard to identify/isolate if previous bugs are not addressed since xul is an integral part of the gecko engine.
several xul-related bugs have been reported for months now and a beta should have not been released without fixing them first. what's the point of testing and reporting bugs in an alpha release if they are not meant to be fixed in the next version? a true stable kmeleon-at least by opensource standards- should have first and foremost fixed the engine core bugs

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1261
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1238
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1237

Disrupted,

I guess the question that should be asked is this. Are these bugs fixable?

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 12:53AM by ndebord.

Date: November 20, 2010 01:24AM

Failing Adblock plus support is IMHO no show stopper. I do not use it at all. tongue sticking out smiley

My hope = fixable: yes! To be sure, You'd have to interview Dorian, desga2, kko.

But not because of ABP but more because the bugs affect other usage aspects.

IMHO the problem is time. Windows is not fashionable. Young nerds go NIX.

K-Meleon has a solid user base (the first dedicated Mozilla based Windows browser) but few Nerds ever got here to see that it is far out already & has future prosoects. Hope I am nor wrong? smiling smiley And like all of us, older Nerds (out of university devs) must have a job and so only limited free time besides family... is available.

My hope K-Meleon devs will be still using this browser when there is time. smiling smiley

I just wait till that day. Meanwhile i try help other users and fix the small items what are in range of my limited powers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 01:32AM by guenter.

Date: November 20, 2010 01:47AM

guenter
Failing Adblock plus support is IMHO no show stopper. I do not use it at all. tongue sticking out smiley

My hope = fixable: yes! To be sure, You'd have to interview Dorian, desga2, kko.

But not because of ABP but more because the bugs affect other usage aspects.

Guenter,

To be blunt, I am not one of those who can pick up the phone and call either Dorian or KKO. Desga2 is now the visible face of K-Meleon 1.6xxx.

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 01:25PM by ndebord.

Date: November 21, 2010 01:03AM

What do u guys say about admuncher? is it good enough.
i saw a post before about admuncher

Date: November 21, 2010 03:19AM

Hey i would like to know how to configure admuncher for k-meleon after downloading

Date: November 21, 2010 11:55AM

ndebord
I am not one of those who can pick up the phone and call either Dorian or KKO.

Neither am I.

Maybe You'd mail them? tongue sticking out smiley

Date: November 21, 2010 05:12PM

guenter
ndebord
I am not one of those who can pick up the phone and call either Dorian or KKO.

Neither am I.

Maybe You'd mail them? tongue sticking out smiley

Guenter,

Funny Guy!

Nope... the practice here has always been the same... there is a point man up front, in this time that would be Desga2 and then there is the developer and friends: that would be Dorian and KKO right now, depending upon time available, for as you have pointed out, KM is a voluntary project (or is that voluntary obsession???).

So I occasionally do the bug report (very occasionally!) and write my comments here in the KM forum.

<VBG>

N

Date: November 21, 2010 07:23PM

ndebord
obsession???).

obsession!!!!

Hopefully :drool:

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 21, 2010 07:59PM

jackuars
Hey i would like to know how to configure admuncher for k-meleon after downloading

You don't need to do anything. It blocks ads from all browsers. It works very well but it is NOT freeware. So you'll either have to buy it after 30 days trial or get a hacked version somewhere.

Date: November 21, 2010 09:26PM

yeah i got this product from a friend. well it just removes ad from all browsers eh? so there is no need to configure for k-meleon at all!Just run it in the system tray eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 09:27PM by jackuars.

Posted by: Paul
Date: November 22, 2010 02:10AM

I'm using ad mucher v4.9 right now, runs 'straight out the box' no set up or configuration needed.

Date: November 22, 2010 04:23AM

guenter
ndebord
obsession???).

obsession!!!!

Hopefully :drool:

Guenter,

What else could you call it? Since 0.6 and 0.7 with forum... Lots of nice people over the years and even the flamers were worth the effort. ;-)

N

Date: November 22, 2010 03:04PM

ndebord
Since 0.6 and 0.7 with forum...

even the flamers were worth the effort. ;-)

Hey Forum great-grandpa that is 8 yearswinking smiley I a youngster merely coming here since 6 years - one of my first posts says 0.7.1 was my default browser when 0.8.2 was out already grinning smiley

I doubt they were worth any effort tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 03:05PM by guenter.

Date: November 22, 2010 03:27PM

guenter
ndebord
Since 0.6 and 0.7 with forum...

even the flamers were worth the effort. ;-)

Hey Forum great-grandpa that is 8 yearswinking smiley I a youngster merely coming here since 6 years - one of my first posts says 0.7.1 was my default browser when 0.8.2 was out already grinning smiley

I doubt they were worth any effort tongue sticking out smiley

Guenter,

I no longer recall where I found 0.6, but by the time I found this forum, it was up to 0.7. As I think back, 0.8 was the first major improvement in KM and I stuck with that for a long time, almost as long as I stuck with 1.0.2, for in the beginning I was one of those critics who complained long and bitterly about the changes that KKO had made in the macro language. Purely a defensive reaction on my part as I could no longer do the simple macro coding that I had been proud of mastering... As Clint Eastwood says so magnificiently... "A man's gotta know his limitations" and coding is my Waterloo!!! <sigh>

Think back... they were all worth the effort. Some were both coders and critics and although the air was often filled with flames, after the conflagrations died down, the air was cleared (most of the time). Besides, the philosophy here has always been to allow everyone to post, regardless, in the expectation that the idiots would be drowned out by the community and that has worked out pretty well, don't you think?

<VBG>

N

Date: November 22, 2010 05:51PM

ndebord

I no longer recall where I found 0.6, but by the time I found this forum, it was up to 0.7.

coding is my Waterloo!!! <sigh>

Besides, the philosophy here has always been to allow everyone to post, regardless, in the expectation that the idiots would be drowned out by the community and that has worked out pretty well, don't you think?

Senior moments grinning smiley My 0.6 including German menus was on a PC Welt CD - AFAIK I still have the archive on a backup CD and installed on my backup hardware P III 500. It took me until version 0.7 to learn to handle all my internet via K-Meleon smiling smiley

I cannot code either.

Drowning them was a waste of time. IMO.

Made others write rational replies when more urgent things could have been done. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2010 05:55PM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 22, 2010 08:14PM

You say about the military service ... grinning smiley ... when this was done with lance ... grinning smiley
(Spanish joke expresion, sorry) tongue sticking out smiley

(Sorry for out of topic, but I could not resist it)

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 23, 2010 01:36AM

guenter
ndebord

I no longer recall where I found 0.6, but by the time I found this forum, it was up to 0.7.

coding is my Waterloo!!! <sigh>

Besides, the philosophy here has always been to allow everyone to post, regardless, in the expectation that the idiots would be drowned out by the community and that has worked out pretty well, don't you think?

Senior moments grinning smiley My 0.6 including German menus was on a PC Welt CD - AFAIK I still have the archive on a backup CD and installed on my backup hardware P III 500. It took me until version 0.7 to learn to handle all my internet via K-Meleon smiling smiley

I cannot code either.

Drowning them was a waste of time. IMO.

Made others write rational replies when more urgent things could have been done. smiling smiley

Guenter,

One man's madness, is another's sanity... the conversations took us to places we couldn't have imagined otherwise. And the rationality of some of our responses helped clarify our understanding of what K-Meleon offered the internet. If I say anything more, I'll be entering the bullshit realm, so I'd better stop right now!

N

Posted by: panzer
Date: November 23, 2010 10:21AM

Paul
I'm using ad mucher v4.9 right now, runs 'straight out the box' no set up or configuration needed.

What if you use Km on USB? Should I just copy AdMuncher folder to USB and use it or ...? Because boys at AM don't want to make a proper portable version.

Edit: Nevermind. Found a wrapper.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jmztjtbzmgy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 11:04AM by panzer.

Date: December 06, 2010 01:52AM

tried ad-muncher does its job very well. But seems like it slowing down by browsing speed when it claims that it speeds up browsing. Howz that possible? blocking ads speeds up the browser right...no idea....so am just happier without it

Posted by: Carl
Date: May 24, 2011 03:40PM

Hi all,

Running XP on a 10 yr old computer here. Ad Block has been a lifesaver. This thread states that the KM blocker does not stop these ads from being loaded, only from being displayed. Does Ad Blocker work the same way? I personally might not notice the difference, but would be good to know anyway.

Many sites give my 16mb graphics card a hard time, so most of my blocking is non-essential parts of a web page. Making this happen seems a little more complicated for CSS than Ad Blocker, but certainly within my reach.

Thanks

Date: May 25, 2011 12:04AM

Carl
Hi all,

Running XP on a 10 yr old computer here. Ad Block has been a lifesaver. This thread states that the KM blocker does not stop these ads from being loaded, only from being displayed. Does Ad Blocker work the same way? I personally might not notice the difference, but would be good to know anyway.

Many sites give my 16mb graphics card a hard time, so most of my blocking is non-essential parts of a web page. Making this happen seems a little more complicated for CSS than Ad Blocker, but certainly within my reach.

Thanks

Carl,

I have an old P3 T40 Thinkpad with 768 Megs RAM and it runs pretty good. Most of the time I use the Privacy Bar (edited to remove password and cookie toggle as I find that too dangerous for my needs) to surf. I can toggle on and off Java, JavaScript, Images, etc., as needed. Most of the time I surf with Java and Javascript turned off, the latter I turn on for sites that require it for things like login. For passwords I use the internal password manager (the old Wallet system that KM kept even after FireFox got rid of it and replaced it with an SQLite thingee) and I use Cookie Culler to micro-manage my cookies. I also use an external password manager to handle important passwords for financial sites that I want to keep separate from this or any other browser.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 12:05AM by ndebord.

Posted by: Lowkee33
Date: May 25, 2011 12:41PM

Got myself registered smiling smiley

First, I realize that Ad-Block does work in 1.6 (Download Page), and also that I bumped a thread that probably didn't need it. Learning my way around here.

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 with 256mb RAM. A powerful laptop in it's day, one of (if not) the first laptops to offer DVD playability on a second monitor while still functioning windows on the main one. Runs like a charm for the simple web browsing and media playback I use it for.

I really don't go to a lot of web sites, so mostly I use ad-block (and perhaps CSS as I learn it) to find the best balance between functionality and display.

Thanks again.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.