Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
K-Meleon stops loading pages
Posted by: Leandros
Date: December 21, 2010 09:00PM

Hi,

I've been using the 1.60 beta for a week or so now and I've noticed a rather annoying bug: k-meleon randomly stops loading everything in all open tabs for random intervals and then continues on. This is an extremely annoying thing to have happen as it effectively stops your ability to browse the internet. Does anyone know of anything similar or is it just me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon stops loading pages
Posted by: siria
Date: December 21, 2010 09:25PM

Does it have to do with sessions...?

Date: December 21, 2010 11:25PM

I don't use the sessions plugin, so I doubt it. unless disabling caused it.

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 22, 2010 10:16PM

Please download and try 1.6.0 Beta2 instead of 1.6.0 Beta.
The first Beta have some unstable problems.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 10:17PM by desga2.

Date: December 24, 2010 03:48PM

I'm afraid that didn't fix the problem.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: December 24, 2010 04:45PM

@ Leandros

Are you sure the problem is KM and not speed of your internet connection?

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 24, 2010 10:31PM

Can you post some url as example?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: December 25, 2010 11:48PM

It's not any url in specific, it's just that loading any page just stops for a while and then resumes. Like I will open a couple of bookmarks and none of them will load and then like 2 minutes later they all load. When K-meleon doesn't load anything, Google Chrome will load it fine at the same time, so it's not connection problems either.

Date: December 26, 2010 12:06AM

Does a page begin to display and then stop? Does the status bar report anything when this happens?

I have had times when once I click on a link, I get a status bar report like 'waiting on xzy.com'. Nothing would begin to display. The system just seems to do nothing for a while. I found that if I did a long click on the link, the page would load right away. I thought it was a mouse problem, but maybe it is the same problem that you are seeing.

If KM seems to stall again, re-click the link and make it a long click. By long click I mean hold the button down for a count of two before releasing the button.

Date: December 26, 2010 02:24AM

It happens whenever, really. I've had it happen while loading a page that was already partially displayed and with pages that are completely blank. Even tabs that are fully loaded but are supposed to go elsewhere do nothing. I'll try the long click the next time it occurs, but I just had a thought:
I'm using Internet Download Manager, which intercepts downloads and can even pick up when I'm on a page that is loading video files, could this be causing it?

Date: December 26, 2010 12:29PM

Perhaps, who knows, but only you can test by disabling it. That behaviour is certainly not normal!

Date: December 27, 2010 04:08PM

I have tested it and it did not change anything.
I'm sorry I missed your earlier post JamesD, but no, it's not my connection. As I mentioned, I've tried to load the same pages in Chrome (and Firefox for that matter) at the same time and they worked fine. I also have no problem using other programs that require connectivity at the same time, such as games of voip services.

As for the bar, it usually shows that it's loading something, but there's plenty of times where it shows nothing and the only sign of activity is the animation in the topright corner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 04:09PM by Leandros.

Date: December 27, 2010 06:53PM

Your profile looks like you've used KM two years ago already. So perhaps your KM1.6 is a bit mixed up now with some inherited old prefs or macros causing probs?? Layer stuff or something? Have you tried with unzipping the 7z-version into a new folder, and trying that 'clean' version...?
Otherwise my guess would be some security progs of your system, firewall or life virusscanner or something... (But I have no clue of that, being on win9x ;-)

Date: December 28, 2010 04:22PM

Eh, to be honest I don't keep a lot of settings when upgrading, mostly just the bookmarks and search engine presets. I just tried the "long click" and I could be wrong but it seemed to actually work! Weird as hell, to be honest.

Date: December 28, 2010 05:00PM

The 'long click' situation has followed me from old hardware with XP to new hardware with Win 7. It has been around, at least for me, for a long time.

Date: December 28, 2010 07:23PM

Funny grinning smiley

So far I only knew that long-clicking on a toolbar button brings up the right-click menu.
Tried it on links too now, but no luck, at least not on my machine. Absolutely no difference between long- and short-clicking left or right.
Perhaps there's actually some setting, perhaps even by the OS?? At any rate it seems that long-clicks *can* hold different commands.

By googling around a bit, I found there's even a FF addon, which uses a javascript, to make long-clicks on links open in new tabs! (tried injecting that js alone, but again nothing works ;-)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/52309/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2010 07:25PM by siria.

Date: December 31, 2010 01:09PM

Hm, it's quite weird. Long-clicks don't work every time , I just had a luck streak I guess, the bug persists.

Date: December 31, 2010 01:20PM

Okay, would try to install it again with the 'setup' version, but into a new folder, e.g. KM16. After installation, start it by manually starting k-meleon.exe in the file explorer, to make sure it's really started from this folder. When the browser is open, create a new profile (Edit>Manage Profiles / Ask at startup), and restart. Meanwhile I think that's the best way to get a really clean installation, which also has writing rights in profile automatically :cool:
Or even install the whole program into your user account...

And perhaps disable all cache settings...

And perhaps disable the spellchecker... (in about:config, set layout.spellcheckDefault = 0)

And hey, and does the error-console say anything??? (in Tools menu). Activate all type buttons (KMM etc.)

Or does it have to do with some proxy or router thing???

Tapping in the dark too, and not much hope, am no developer, only a user and that's just what I can think of testing... Unless you'd need to tell one of your security tools to let KM work freely...

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2010 02:09PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.