Forms elements don't accept usercontent.css rules (1.6b2) -- (solution found)
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: January 21, 2011 02:14AM

The form elements (textareas, inputs, options, select, etc) don't accept usercontent.css rules.

Worst if they are generated via javascript.

Even worst, if you set the rules to !important, the form elements (textarea, input) end with system colors instead the ones in the usercontent.css file, as I'm right now, writting this here. Button inputs, by the way, accept it perfectly using !important.

Confirm it (set other than the common Windows color scheme).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 01:07AM by JohnHell.

Re: Forms elements don't accept usercontent.css rules (1.6b2)
Date: February 02, 2011 11:15PM

Well, no one said anything, but I'll add more information

This is what happens to form fields, even if you apply other colors though usercontent.css.

As you can see (enlarge if needed), some things happen:

1.- the buttons are taking the text color definition (set on usercontent.css to black (#000000)) but the buttons are taking the 3D elements color defined on Windows Scheme.

2.- the textarea elements take the color text (even not shown here) to black, but the area color is taken from windows color scheme (usercontent.css set to #8F9DBF).

3.- the options drop down menu items (on the right) have the same problem with the first option, the selected one by default, but as you note, the elements/options inside the drop down menu are, indeed, taking the values from usercontent.css, that is, black text and #8F9DBF background color.

Is this a GRE issue? Is this a K-meleon 1.6b2 issue?

In a few days, if no one confirms anything, I'll post as a bug.

Date: February 03, 2011 01:07AM

Argh... I hate new implementations.

Looks like from Firefox 2 to Firefox 3, was broken too:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=638227

So to let usercontent.css do its work and be able to modify the appearance of form elements you need to add this to usercontent.css:

form *{-moz-appearance: none !important;}

More information at:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/-moz-appearance

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 04, 2011 02:09PM

JohnHell
Argh... I hate new implementations.

Looks like from Firefox 2 to Firefox 3, was broken too:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=638227

So to let usercontent.css do its work and be able to modify the appearance of form elements you need to add this to usercontent.css:

To me it looks like You have found a bug that must be reported to K-Meleon's bug tracker.

You found it You can add it. smiling smiley

p.s. Mozilla.org but not K-Meleon Project will/must fix it, but AFAIRemember these bugs were also reported to the K-Meleon bug tracker with the comment that they were a Mozilla bug.

I also had a problem with UserContent CSS but I had assumed it was my own fault = lack of coding knowledge and stopped trying and searching. This happened during 1.6 development - I imagined that at firtst my css first had worked.

So I was maybe not hallucinating after all. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 02:17PM by guenter.

Posted by: vasa1
Date: February 04, 2011 02:36PM

JohnHell

form *{-moz-appearance: none !important;}

Thanks for the solution smiling smiley. This problem occurs in Fx 4 beta 10 as well.

Date: February 04, 2011 03:52PM

guenter
p.s. Mozilla.org but not K-Meleon Project will/must fix it, but AFAIRemember these bugs were also reported to the K-Meleon bug tracker with the comment that they were a Mozilla bug.

Can't find that bug at k-meleon bug tracker :/

But, is it a bug? I mean, look like it's the new GRE forcing to use system colors for XUL elements (if forms are drawn with XUL). Maybe the bug is that K-meleon is letting GRE to draw forms with XUL... but I don't think this extreme is happening...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.