Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
1.6.0 Lost Bookmarks and Reverted to older version?
Posted by: Delores Quade
Date: March 15, 2011 12:57AM

I couldn't reproduce the problem on demand, but it has happened before, randomly, as it would seem.

I had been happily browsing along, updating my bookmarks (I only had about 10), and I had about 4 add-ons (no-script, as-aware(?), grocery store list, and I can't remember the other one) before I want to bed, and everything was just great.

I had the same applications running on my machine as always.

I did not shut my machine down. The icon that shows up for 1.6.0 is usually a red circle and all of the windows open have the same icon. But today, the older icon showed up when I opened up the browser, the new browser stayed in my task box, it set the homepage back to the default, all of my settings were gone, and my bookmarks disappeared.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. In previous versions I have had the same problem, and have on and off quit using K-Melon, to my dismay. I just can't trust it anymore, at this point, and I have referred a large group of colleauges just recently towards this browser.

At any rate - can someone please tell me what is going on with this?

Also - I removed the browser, which hung for about 10 minutes. When it finally finised, my software program Secunia told me that it was removed, but in the parenthesis it listed it as (zombie), which I've never seen before. Usually it says (patched version) or (patched).

If someone could get back to me I truely would appreciate it. I do want to keep using this browser, but as I said, I just don't trust it right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1.6.0 Lost Bookmarks and Reverted to older version?
Posted by: siria
Date: March 15, 2011 05:27AM

First thought: your description sounds much like you just never have given yourself writing rights in your profile folder, and this happens mostly when a user uses the portable version unkowingly, unaware that this puts his profile in the program folder instead the windows user folder. So if you close the browser, but don't close down the loader too, it's still running in the background, and your modifications are still kept in memory. But if you shut down the system or close the loader too, it's all back to default.
Please check if in your programs/K-Meleon folder there's a file named "profile.ini", and if yes, delete it. Then after a restart of your computer there will be a new default profile in your windows user account, where by default everyone automatically has writing rights.
Or uninstall it completely, then use the setup-version to install again. Make sure to keep the default setting "multi-user", not the portable setting "single-user".

Then again, what's confusing is that icon thing, and you say you did NOT shut down the system, hmmm...

Could it be you're somehow starting the old version, if it still exists parallel on your hard drive? Or perhaps some of your security programs is 'restoring' the link to the old version in your start icons, somehow? What I'd try at any rate is making sure that in all versions that "profile.ini" is deleted, and then set the browser to ASK at startup which profile it should use (Edit>Manage Profiles>Ask at startup). Just to see if there's really only one.

By the way in the "Help" menu there's a link to the FAQ, which deal with such things too...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 08:11AM by siria.

Re: 1.6.0 Lost Bookmarks and Reverted to older version?
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 15, 2011 09:58PM

Delores Quade

Also - I removed the browser, which hung for about 10 minutes. When it finally finised, my software program Secunia told me that it was removed, but in the parenthesis it listed it as (zombie), which I've never seen before. Usually it says (patched version) or (patched).

If someone could get back to me I truely would appreciate it. I do want to keep using this browser, but as I said, I just don't trust it right now.

IMHO it was Secunia that removed the newest K-Meleon version after some accident.
No idea what. Can be that electricity shut down the PC, HDD surface breeking or anything that is recovered by Windows without much user interaction.

After that Windows searched for software that matched the name and the older version was still there and found.

Reinstall the newest version and the extensions and the do a backup.

Backup both ./program files/k-meleon/ the program and %appdata%/K-Meleon the profile location. Professionals do such backups because they also do not trust any systems integrity very much.

That something went wrong at Your PC before may indicate that You should also do a backup of private data on its hard disk. I'd take it as warning.

Most of my essential data (letters and special family pics) are also on an USB stick. Only if PC and USB fail at the same time something can get lost. smiling smiley
& if I forget to update the backup - just before I loose the USB which has happened sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2011 10:02PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.