find function not working & dictionary (km 1.7a2)
Posted by: machinesmith
Date: March 27, 2011 07:29AM

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this please let me know if it isn't.

I browse a lot of web page source code and with KM1.7a2 when I 'view source' and then try to search for something (ctrl+f) the search box turns red (as in no results found) as soon as I type the first letter. I'm not really sure how to fix that.

Other than that I like how the dictionary function works (I get the red squiggly line underneath typos) but does it also correct the words? (i.e. does it give alternatives if I right click on the typo'd word)?

Sorry if these bugs are repeats I really did NOT want to post bugs that have already been reported in KM16b2 - but the forum posts are all over the place and my initial searches didn't bring up any previous posts - so I posted!

Other than those loving the product - will let you know of more issues as I find them.

--
sys specs for KM reporting: PIII-1GHZ, 1GB RAM, WinXPsp2, KM17a2 & KM 1.5.4

Re: find function not working & dictionary (km 1.7a2)
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 27, 2011 10:36AM

About the spellchecker. It needs an additional module. Just extract and place files where they belong. The *.kmm goes to macros and the dll to kplugins.
AFAIK that version of spelltest by marc307 works for 1.7.a too.

The other issue can AFAIK not be fixed on the fly. Try 1.6.beta2 instead.

Dorian
1.7 is just here to match gecko evolution, and to be sure kmeleon can be build with the latest gecko release.

The core developers have no free time to do work on K-Meleon till June or so.

Re: source viewer & spellchecker in KM1.7alpha2
Posted by: siria
Date: March 28, 2011 08:02PM

For daily use I'd much prefer KM1.6beta, since KM1.7 is a very early and rather buggy alpha version yet, just meant for testing.

Another additional bugfix for KM1.6b2, that "embed.jar" thing recently:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,114826

deadlock
If you use 1.6beta 2 without having changed anything in
k-meleon/chrome/ folder of your installation, the browser will crash if you drag content in the window that pops up from Error Console. Scrolling/resizing will crash too.

If you want to use it like in KM 1.54 you can download a
replacement for K-Meleon/chrome/embed.jar from dhost.

embed_1.6.0_Beta2_en-US.7z

Overwrite embed.jar in K-Meleon/chrome/ with it.

K-Meleon must be configured for the changes on next start.
So shut down K-Meleon and delete these files:

K-Meleon\components\compreg.dat
K-Meleon\components\xpti.dat
%Path To Your Profile%\xul.mfl (search disk for it)

It will create new ones.

A note regarding the spellchecker, the two files that guenter listed specifically are the important ones for the function. The other files are just for info and can be kept in a separate folder or outside.
The help text is for the older version with the much more complicated installation, find it rather confusing for the new one. Better ignore it for KM1.6+, just extract the dll and kmm file into the right folder, that's all :cool:

Well, and due to another tiny little bug in that beta version, the new word suggestions only appear if the cursor is also placed inside a word, not just the mouse hovering over it ;-) So first left-click on a word, then right-click and choose "spell" in the menu, to see the other words and languages.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 08:14PM by siria.

Posted by: machinesmith
Date: March 30, 2011 04:13PM

Ah I see,

Sort of a bummer since I was hoping I'd continually send in bug reports as I found them (y'know to get 1.7 moving) but yeah if the purpose of 1.7a2 (and additional?) is no more than a test to keep up with new Gecko engine releases. With the REAL dev work focusing on 1.6b2, Then I might as well downgrade.

Thanks for the spell check tips - out of curiosity does 1.6b2 have the same 'cannot open history' issue that 1.7a2 does?

--
sys specs for KM reporting: PIII-1GHZ, 1GB RAM, WinXPsp2, KM17a2 & KM 1.5.4

Posted by: siria
Date: March 30, 2011 05:12PM

My history seems to work fine (KM1.6b2 on KeXed win98se), but use it very rarely, so not quite sure... I dimly remember there were some issues with history... First the skin button had to be adapted (beta1?), later not anymore (beta2)... And remember having read about some bug with automatic deletion of history not yet working or such... And am not sure anymore which KM files or plugins I exchanged anything manually since beta2 smiling smiley

Other people can tell you more about current development focus, but guess it certainly can't harm to collect bugs in 1.7 too. I just meant for daily use 1.6 is certainly better, but if you want to help developing that's another thing smiling smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 30, 2011 09:00PM
K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.