Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
[1.02] Flickering bar on new windows
Posted by: ra
Date: October 17, 2006 10:09PM

Hi!

This is s.th. new in version 1.02:

Whenever I open a new window it looks like there is an additional toolbar below my two standard bars that get's removed before the window is fully drawn. So I see this line and then, almost immediately, but only almost, the browser content moves up and this bar or whatever it is, is gone.

What do I see there, why and what can be done against it?

This bug is not in 1.01, 1.0 and prior versions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [1.02] Flickering bar on new windows
Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 18, 2006 04:52AM

Ra,

How do you have KM 1.0.2 setup? Layered Windows or what?

N

Date: October 18, 2006 01:05PM

No, windows only mode (layers plugin is disabled). Problem has to be in the EXE.

Posted by: noel-pg2
Date: October 23, 2006 10:32PM

what version of Windows were you using, ra?

Date: October 24, 2006 07:55PM

Windows XP SP2+

Posted by: Dorian
Date: October 26, 2006 04:39PM

Did you try disabling some plugin and see if it's still here? I really don't know what it could be.

Date: October 27, 2006 01:01PM

Found it. It's the privacy bar. I have only two rows containing all bars that I use. The privacy bar is on the second row, yet it looks like it is added as third row and kinda moved to the second bar when the window is redrawn. Can you repro this?

In general I found out during testing (disabled all plugins and enabled one after another again) that the macros plugin slows down the browser very much in terms of opening new windows. The browser feels *much* faster if the macros plugin is *disabled*. I guess that's because the plugin is (ab)used for things like adding checkmarks. ;-( Is there anything that can be done about this? Looks like one has to re-do many macros and change/remove onopen actions to get a browser that feels fast again..

Another thing I noticed: The browser window 'jumps' if it is closed (status bar goes one row up and so do the others). Can be seen best with all plugins disabled.

Date: October 27, 2006 02:12PM

Another thing I noticed: The browser window 'jumps' if it is closed (status bar goes one row up and so do the others). Can be seen best with all plugins disabled.

Now I understand! Both have the same cause: the menu being removed. This is not new. When opening it's removed by the rebar menu plugin (and it wasn't enabled when I tested first). When closing it's removed so that the system doesn't destroy it.

The menu checking is already fixed in the latest dev build.

Date: October 28, 2006 12:20AM

Mmh, but the problem from the beginning (the third row that appears and disappears again), that I had/have, is gone when the privacy bar is disabled.

Thanks for the explanation re. 'jumping'. Do they have to be removed while the window is visible..? I'm not sure if I have another app that behaves that way. ;o)

The menu checking is already fixed in the latest dev build.

What do you mean by that? No more abusing the macros plugin for that? The pressed buttons on the privacy bar result from the macros plugin currently ...

Date: October 29, 2006 10:16AM

What do you mean by that? No more abusing the macros plugin for that? The pressed buttons on the privacy bar result from the macros plugin currently ...

We're talking about the menu, not the toolbars. Menu checking is now done on the fly, when a menu is showing up.

Date: October 29, 2006 12:49PM

We're talking about the menu, not the toolbars. Menu checking is now done on the fly, when a menu is showing up.

That's good!

Date: November 21, 2006 08:59PM

K-M 1.1a behaves just the same, the problem I describe obviously comes from the privacy bar and I suspect the look of the pressed buttons to be the root of all evil. smiling smiley Therefore a design question:

Would it make sense to let the hidden window create new windows exactly like the window where the new window is created from (pressed toolbar buttons and selected menu entries), and update this state only if the macro tells K-M to *change* it (so if the button is pressed, pressing it again doesn't do anything). So, would creating the toolbar with already pressed buttons, instead of pressing them after the toolbar was created, solve this problem?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.