Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Slow link context menu
Posted by: Peabody
Date: January 03, 2007 12:37AM

I notice that K-M often is slow in displaying the link context menu when trying to open multiple links. The problem is particularly noticeable with forum software. For example, head to the Linux Questions web site. Then in rapid succession, right-click on the thread links and open each link in the background. Move as rapidly as possible through the thread links. Do not bother worrying about the actual thread, just open the links in the background as quickly as possible. Eventually, usually after only a few attempts, there will be a noticeable delay in displaying the link context menu. I have seen delays as long three to four seconds or longer. Terribly frustrating.

For the record, Linux Questions is not the problem. I notice this pop-up delay with other forums too, as well as any site where I try to rapidly open multiple pages, such as a news site.

I have noticed this behavior in Firefox, but I always blamed the XUL interface for the problem. Yet K-M is written to use native Windows libraries and widgets.

I tested this behavior with Opera 9.01 and could not duplicate the problem. In Opera the link context menu pops up immediately although the pages obviously are loading slowly in the background.

I can only surmise the problem actually is in the gecko engine because that is a common denominator between K-M and FF, despite K-M using native widgets and libraries much like Opera.

Any ideas or possible remedies?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slow link context menu
Date: January 04, 2007 09:10PM

Bump. Anybody?

Posted by: ra
Date: January 04, 2007 10:17PM

A bump right after a day..? ;-/

Try without the macros plugin. The macros plugin is a major slow-down for K-Ms interface. It's impressive how much faster K-M feels when it is disabled.

Date: January 05, 2007 08:10PM

Try without the macros plugin. The macros plugin is a major slow-down for K-Ms interface. It's impressive how much faster K-M feels when it is disabled.
I tried running K-M in this manner. K-M does not load properly. The task manager shows K-M is loaded and running, but the K-M interface never appears on screen. Another bug?

Date: January 09, 2007 08:57PM

Bump. Anybody?

I have continued trying to discover the cause of this delay. I've tried a different theme, disabled pipelining, started with a clean menu.cfg, etc. I notice that the delay in menu response occurs whenever the browser is waiting for a response from a server. Forum servers tend to be slower because of the database and volume of data behind the forum software and this is why I think I notice the problem then more easily. However, I am now noticing that any time a page is not fully loaded and there is any kind of delay to finish loading, then all menu response is terribly slow. This is true with the pull-down menus as well as the context menus.

The slowness extends to page scrolling too. That is, while any page is still downloading, there is an obvious delay in scrolling down the current page while that background page loads. That is, while pages are loading I cannot scroll down the current page until the problem background page is finished misbehaving. Therefore I am initially concluding that the problem is not so much with menus, but with the browser itself.

I am using both the memory and disk caches. JavaScript and cookies are almost always disabled.

Any ideas? A generic prefs.js setting perhaps?

Thanks.

Date: January 09, 2007 08:58PM

BTW, I'm using the standard K-M 1.02.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.