Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
"illegal operation"
Posted by: robert
Date: September 05, 2011 05:11PM

sometimes, kmeleon must be closed because "it does a illegal operation". That's wrote in a warning. What can I do to prevent this?
I use windows xp
The last time, it was in this site (portuguese): http://www.infomoney.com.br/renda-fixa/noticia/2203288-apesar+aumento+nas+projecoes+inflacionarias+juros+operam+queda

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "illegal operation"
Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 05, 2011 10:23PM

robert
sometimes, kmeleon must be closed because "it does a illegal operation". That's wrote in a warning. What can I do to prevent this?
I use windows xp
The last time, it was in this site (portuguese): http://www.infomoney.com.br/renda-fixa/noticia/2203288-apesar+aumento+nas+projecoes+inflacionarias+juros+operam+queda

Robert,

Froze up my XP PRO SP3, KM 1.6b2 laptop... as it froze (used Process Explorer to kill the process) I noticed this in the status bar:

zone29hotwords.com/br

Could not be loaded separately, so no idea if that is what causeed KM to lock up or if it was something else.

N

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2011 10:24PM by ndebord.

Re: "illegal operation"
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 05, 2011 10:27PM

On my PC. The site crashes any K-Meleon from version 0.8 to future beta 1.6 and alpha 1.7.

I also tested with other browsers that I have (Firefox 2.0.0.22pre,3.5.19, 3.6.21, Pale Moon 3.6.20, Lunascape GRE 3.5.15, GRE 3.6.18) that use the same or similar Gecko Runtime Engines used by K-Meleon 1.5.4, 1.6.beta2, 1.7.a2.

The result is that all browsers except 2 crashed.

The two that did not crash completely stopped reacting (Firefox3.5.19 & Firefox 3.6.21) with a CPU load of 50% on a Dual Core Athlon Turion 64X2 with 4 GB RAM XP SP3. The 2 browsers had to be closed & my system complained that they do not react and that I will lose data when I force the program to shut down.

In one case it said that plugincontainer.exe encountered a problem.

Next I tested with Browsers comparable to Firefox 4 to 9a (Nightly = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:9.0a1) Gecko/20110905 Firefox/9.0a1). They did not crash but put significant stress on system resources.

Nightly complained about an unresponsive script.

Nightly
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://zone10.hotwords.com.br/script.js?psite=0&cor=006600&atr=id&vatr=HOTWordsTxt&tag=div&id=3545&h=452942396&d=http%3A//www.infomoney.com.br/renda-fixa/noticia/2203288-apesar+aumento+nas+projecoes+inflacionarias+juros+operam+queda:208

p.s. Sorry I do not know any help but to suggest another browser.

The page works with Firefox 6, SeaMonkey 2.3.1, Comodo Dragon, Iron ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2011 10:40PM by guenter.

Attachments: Standstill.gif (14 KB)  
Re: "illegal operation" (javascript bug)
Posted by: siria
Date: September 05, 2011 11:08PM

Whow, great research!
Just as a little sidenote, in case a user may think the site were *completely* unusuable: No crash here, but of course I have javascript blocked (and don't feel suicidal enough to allow it on such a crappy site, LOL!) Of course that means, there are some functions which will not work without JS.

Re: "illegal operation" (javascript bug)
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 06, 2011 12:27AM

siria
No crash here, but of course I have javascript blocked (and don't feel suicidal enough to allow it on such a crappy site, LOL!) Of course that means, there are some functions which will not work without JS.

Yes, IMHO the errors point to problems in the JavaScript implementation of some GREs. Else to errors on the page's JavaScript. Either no idea which.

p.s. Cool find siria. I did not have the idea to test how much of the page is usable without Script.

The debug info pointed to the js3250.dll - but I could not make any sense of the info since I am no developer.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.