Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Bookmarks option disappeared
Posted by: amsev
Date: August 18, 2007 02:20AM

I'm not sure if this is a bug or what, but this evening I had to shut down my computer because of the sirens going off for a tornado warning. When I finally logged back in, the option for Bookmarks was gone from the main pulldown menu bar (File, Edit, View, etc.)

I downloaded and re-ran the setup for K-Meleon, but that did not fix it. I have an older computer, I am on Windows XP for the operating system. Not sure what else you need to know.

Help! I have some bookmarks that I use every day and would like that option back

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
amsev

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmarks option disappeared
Posted by: amsev
Date: August 18, 2007 02:21AM

I'm sorry, amending: I am on XP Pro

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 18, 2007 04:31AM

Easiest - create a new Profile.

A backup file off the old bookmarks (bookmarks_backup.html rename to bookmarks.html if bookmarks are corrupted) should be in the default profile. Maybe You also check whether bookmarks plugin is activated.

p.s. The only bug known to me is that K-Meleon sometimes damages bookmarks.html (that is why Dorian made that bookmarks_backup.html always is created ). K-Meleon probably crashed because of the fast shutdown. Hope Your area is not much effected by the storm.

Posted by: john b
Date: August 19, 2007 05:15PM

i have just had the same problem and i must get my bookmarks back.

i looked in c>program files>kmeleon>defaults>profile and i have bookmarks.html there. when i clicked it opened up some kmeleon bookmarks page that had links to things like kmeleon home/kmeleon forum/plugins etc but there were none of my bookmarks there. also i cannot find any bookmarks_backup anywhere.

does anyone have any other ideas, thanks in advance.

i am running on vista home premium by the way if it helps.

i have also just downloaded kmeleon 1.1 and when i installed and opened up the browser there were no bookmarks on there either. in fact i dont even have the star symbol shortcut thing.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: August 19, 2007 06:25PM

The bookmarks.html in default\profile is the one used when creating a new profile. This file, and all the other files in this folder too, are copied in your new profile folder, so, when you have a problem, don't look at it, you'll never found your bookmark in it.

Your bookmarks (and the backup) are under your k-meleon profile.

Don't you have your profile folder under K-Meleon folder (with a profile.ini in K-Meleon folder) ?

With XP and more with Vista, I think it's better and perhaps necessary to have it in your windows folder, by deleting the file profile.ini if present.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: August 20, 2007 06:47PM

i have no profile folder in my kmeleon folder. there is only a profile folder in the defaults folder. and as i said before there is only the bookmarks.html in that.
the only folders i have in the kmeleon folder are:

chrome
components
defaults
greprefs
kplugins
macros
plugins
res
skins

the rest are all .dll's and the kmeleon.exe and loader.exe.
bookmarks_backup.html is not in any of these folders or subfolders

is there anywhere else i can find bookmarks_backup.html?

Date: August 20, 2007 06:56PM

i dont know if this is anything to do with it but since i lost my bookmarks i am getting a security warning checkbox keep popping up which i have never had before when using kmeleon, it contains the following:

||||||||||||||||||||security warning!||||||||||||||||||||||||||

the information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could
easily be read by a third party.

are you sure you want to continue sending this information?

alert me whenever i submit information thats not encrypted

continue cancel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: kko
Date: August 20, 2007 07:58PM

@amsev & john b:

Your bookmarks.html is located in your profile directory (Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory) if you haven't specified anything else. Please open that directory. Look for *.js files. There should only be prefs.js and user.js. If you find more *.js files, delete them all (except prefs.js and user.js) and restart km.

Date: August 21, 2007 07:54AM

i dont believe it!

i just booted up this morning and opened kmeleon and my bookmarks are back. i dont know what is going on here but i am very relieved. is there anyway i can backup my bookmarks in case this happens again?

thanks very much for all the advice.

Posted by: kko
Date: August 21, 2007 09:44AM

Well, as I said, your bookmarks.html is located in your profile directory which you can open conveniently through Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory. Simply copy the file to a save location from time to time.

To automate this, take a look at the ProfileBackup extension offered here.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 21, 2007 01:06PM

Probably Your system not K-Meleon had a problem.

By default bookmarks.html itself is automatically backed up to bookmarks_backup.html, always and according to Dorian that is hard coded and You cannot switch it off smiling smiley But You have to write it back to bookmaks.html by hand.

The extension mentioned keeps a backup of Your profile including bookmarls for up to 7 days ( after a week it is overwritten )

Posted by: crimson30
Date: November 29, 2007 12:50AM

So... what if it just disappeared from the menu?

kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.toolbarEnabled is true... is there something else needed?

Guess I'll just try removing/reinstalling :/

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: November 29, 2007 07:55AM

Display > Toolbars > Check Bookmarks

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.