Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
K-Meleon can't display very long web pages?
Posted by: santamaria
Date: October 27, 2011 08:30AM

I'm using 1.6.0 and have noticed this problem quite a few times. I don't know if it is just a problem for me or something.

Take this web page:
Long web page

After scrolling down quite a bit, all you see is black.
I've had this problem with other pages on the MSDN site, but can't remember if I faced it on other sites.

Pardon me if this has been posted before.. I searched the forums without luck.
Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon can't display very long web pages?
Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 27, 2011 10:12AM

I think I can see most of the page that was referenced. There is a black area just after the item "PreviewDrop" that extends until the item "PreviewLostKeyboardFocus. All items below the black area are not usable.
They can't be selected for copy nor used as a link. I think you have found a bug. IE shows all the page.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: October 27, 2011 11:43AM

Hmm!

For me, I can see items till 'PreviewQueryContinueDrag'. After that all black, until the footer of the page.

Also, you mentioned copying & links. I can't SEE anything, but if I click and drag my mouse in the black area and then Ctrl+C, stuff does get copied to the clipboard.
And hovering the mouse in the black area, the cursor still changes in the places where links are supposed to be. I can even click on the links... just can't see them - everything has been consumed by the darkness!

I always have to open up a different browser to view such pages sad smiley

Posted by: gordon451
Date: October 27, 2011 12:36PM

I don't think it's a bug. I used Unicorn to validate the page, and it turns out to be the usual M$ tag-soup. Quite apart from the multitudes of CSS errors, the validation failed on the DOCTYPE...

K-Meleon is not merely standards-compliant, it is also error-intolerant. Pages designed for IE show very happily in IE, but can break other less forgiving browsers.

OTOH, perhaps this is a bug: the continuing Microsoft bug.

I know, I know, it's not nice of me. But isn't this why we don't use IE?

BTW, a similar thing used to happen to Opera 9.51, on the old Mainroads site: Opera could not display the very long pages MRWA used to use, but IE had no trouble. See above about IE...

Gordon.

Posted by: santabarbara
Date: October 27, 2011 07:48PM

The same with 1.5.4.. Anyway, if you need to see the full page, just search that link trough the google, then click on "Cached".

Date: October 28, 2011 07:21AM

gordon, thanks for the informative analysis.

I only recently started learning web development & standards. In my reading I did come across the mention of the huffing and puffing that browsers need to do to show badly written web pages.
Does this mean that K-Mel doesn't have a 'quirks mode', if I'm using the term correctly? Just curious and trying to wrap my head around web-stuff. smiling smiley

And regarding the google-search + view cached page technique, it didn't work for me, fellow santa. Are you saying it worked in 1.5.4?

Posted by: gordon451
Date: October 28, 2011 09:30AM

santamaria
Does this mean that K-Mel doesn't have a 'quirks mode

Would you believe I don't know? tongue sticking out smiley But it is a mode the user cannot set: "quirks mode" is set by the web page, when the <DOCTYPE> declaration is omitted.

It may be that K-M has an extension to give the same functionality as the Opera Page Information panel -- I have not looked. smiling smiley

Gordon.

Posted by: km2
Date: October 28, 2011 09:47AM

santamaria
And regarding the google-search + view cached page technique, it didn't work for me, fellow santa. Are you saying it worked in 1.5.4?

Yep, I just copy paste & search the link that you provide and it work(no black area in the bottom end of the page).

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 28, 2011 03:02PM

santamaria
I'm using 1.6.0 and have noticed this problem quite a few times. I don't know if it is just a problem for me or something.

Take this web page:
Long web page

It got fixed in K-Meleon 1.7.0 alpha2.
Alpha builds are not meant for a productive environment but rather for testing.
However this alpha works fine for me. You might give it a try for testing.

Date: October 30, 2011 06:34AM

^ Thanks for the heads-up. Will try it some time.

Posted by: siria
Date: December 07, 2011 01:40AM

Curious thing, see only black in black too :-/ (KM1.6b2-mod, Win98se Kexed)
Seems like a black layer thats covering everything.
Killing the css-styles makes the page display readable again, but of course - not styled anymore. Anyway, perhaps better than nothing for now.
Am killing the styles with some styles macro, not sure about the name, guess it was on kmext.sf.net somewhere...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2011 01:40AM by siria.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 07, 2011 07:28PM

No errors on page in both KM-1.6.1db+ and KM-1.7.25db+...

No filtering is on.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.