Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Accessing Mediafire w K-Meleon possible?
Posted by: Ronery
Date: November 13, 2011 11:37PM

Hi all,

I recently uploaded 2GB of data to Mediafire, and now they decided to "upgrade" their free and simple file hosting so that you are FORCED to use Chrome, IE, etc... Is there any way to continue using K-Meleon? Yeah, I should ask them but I will get idiot answers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accessing Mediafire w K-Meleon possible?
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 14, 2011 01:25AM

Sometimes you can just fool them by using another user agent. Look under the TOOLS menu and try a FireFox user agent just before you go to that site.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: November 14, 2011 08:40AM

JamesD
Sometimes you can just fool them by using another user agent. Look under the TOOLS menu and try a FireFox user agent just before you go to that site.

Thanx, but I have tried this already.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 14, 2011 09:04PM

Ronery
Hi all,

I recently uploaded 2GB of data to Mediafire, and now they decided to "upgrade" their free and simple file hosting so that you are FORCED to use Chrome, IE, etc... Is there any way to continue using K-Meleon? Yeah, I should ask them but I will get idiot answers.

Ronery,

I have used two methods, depending upon what requirements the site has. First method is the tried and true agentswitcher macro. If that fails, I use the browser.kmm macro to load up firefox to get into the site. Not my preferred method, but it does what is needed. Conversely, when I am in in Firefox and want to see a flash video, I use "Open With" inside Firefox to open up K-Meleon and use the flash dll there instead of being forced to load the complete Flash program with all its advfertising droppings.

N

Date: November 18, 2011 09:12AM

Mediafire now has added a "Dismiss and continue anyway"-button, after clicking which, the site functions normally using K-Meleon. I now have beta2 installed, don't know if that makes a difference.
Also funny how Google filters your search results when using Firefox...

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 24, 2011 03:27AM

Ronery
Mediafire now has added a "Dismiss and continue anyway"-button, after clicking which, the site functions normally using K-Meleon. I now have beta2 installed, don't know if that makes a difference.
Also funny how Google filters your search results when using Firefox...

Ronery,

Plain Vanilla Google I avoid whenever possible. I use Scroogle in FF and KM instead.

N

Posted by: megaduu
Date: December 01, 2011 04:10AM

Anything is possible

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 08, 2011 10:06PM

I don't see that dismiss button. Indeed, I can't see anything. Just the black bar at the top and legal links at the bottom, plus a large blue center. Even fooling the user agent.

God, even Opera, which is the most standard accurate browser fails:

Not to mention the load of javascript errors...

Even trying to login sending in the URL the login information... does nothing, because it has another javascript error for functions and/or variables not defined.

Whoever made the redesign deserves a medal.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 09, 2011 10:14AM

All works fine for me now (KM-1.6). Just check that flashblock is off.

Date: December 09, 2011 04:13PM

I don't use it.

Even Opera fails, looks like that screen cap from K-meleon. So, no "flashblocks" anywhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2011 04:13PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: December 09, 2011 05:04PM

Seems like they change smth continuously last weeks. Things are changing rapidly :-)

Date: December 09, 2011 05:42PM

Ok, you lit up my bulb winking smiley

I had a look to my DNS server log and the only thing "strange" is that is getting blocked some google domains and there is the problem, with mediafire, and with taringa (the other thread on this forum), after took a look to the http dialog with the http monitor (thanks to who ported this add on).

Even what I said in the General forum to Nort (youtube thread), that ajax.googleapis.com is used, basically for ads, looks like sites are using it as a CDN for javascript code. Even the code itself is licensed as GPL by MIT and could be user everywhere else.

In the mediafire case (I didn't dig with taringa, but could be the same), it uses the google host to use this code https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.6/jquery.js that, basically looks like it is used to check visitor environment (browser, PC, mobile) and do whatever needed in each case. In other words, another shit as SWFObject that don't let you to watch flash content if you don't have javascript enabled.

Long story short, another script to trick browsers instead of make a programming nearest standards, even if they lost functionality to show "flashy" websites, hosted on a third party site as a CDN :/

So, guys, don't block ajax.googleapis.com :rollingeyes

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.