Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Issues With Profiles, Skins, and Toolbars
Posted by: PityOnU
Date: August 13, 2008 03:20AM

Hi everyone! Before I start discussing my problem I would like to take a second to thank everyone who has worked on or is working on the K-Meleon project. I used to be a die-hard Internet Explorer 7 user until I tried K-Meleon 1.1.5; but wow! You have changed that! K-Meleon is so much faster and more reliable than any internet browser I have ever used. It's also super-customizable, and may I say that the user agent selector is pure genius. All in all it is just a great program, and I love it to death.

However, I recently upgraded from version 1.1.5 to version 1.5 (full uninstall of old version and then full install of new version) and I am having some major issues. When started up stock (no customization, just clean install then run) K-Meleon opens and runs like a champ, no problems whatsoever. However, when I get to customizing it with skins and trying to enable the IE Favrites bar, K-Meleon no longer opens when I close down and then re-run k-meleon.exe. Instead, it just sits there using 100% of my CPU. I have traced the problem to a combination of custom skins with the IE Favorites bar, which is stored in the profile when closed. Then, when the program is loaded again, it tries to apply the changes in the profile, but for some reason cannot, causing it to just hang there.

Are there certain skins that do not work with the IE Favorites bar? Is there an updated version of the IE Favorites plugin that I can download? As I said, I really LOVE K-Meleon, and I just need some help to work around this so that I can use it to its full potential.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

P.S. - Yes, I have administrator privileges. Yes, I had to manually add the profile.ini file to my K-Meleon installation folder. And yes, profiles work just fine, it’s the skins and their support of the IE favorites toolbar *I think*.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2008 03:27AM by PityOnU.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Issues With Profiles, Skins, and Toolbars
Posted by: desga2
Date: August 13, 2008 03:38AM

If you says that problem is skin, what skin are you using?
Really if skin if your problem with Phoenity (default skin) you mustn't have any problem.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: eduardo
Date: August 15, 2008 07:04PM

I have had similar problems while upgrading K-Meleon in the past, but I have had some luck using the following process (at least with the newer updated versions):

Click on Edit | Preferences and then select "Macro Extension" under the "K-Melon Plugins" menu entry. There is an entry in the right-hand window pane titled "compat" with a check box to the left of it, and in every upgrade I've ever performed on whatever computer I've done it on, it's always unchecked. Check the box to enable compatibility with your new K-Meleon version, restart K-Meleon, and . . . you may have the good luck to have solved your problem(s), as I have in the past (and have with version 1.50, too).

No guarantees, of course, and you may have already tried this; if so, I apologize. Just trying to help--while I like & love a lot of things about K-Meleon, a lot of other things are clunky and difficult about it.

However, I know this is part of its appeal to me. Oh well--good luck with your K-Meleon issues and hope I may have been of some help.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: August 15, 2008 07:09PM

@PityOnU,

You say you have uninstall K-Meleon 1.1.5, have you deleted your profile folder.

You problems are perhaps due to a problem with old profile.

What is saying Edouardo is right, but I think it's necessary when you use old macro system, not when you unsetup the previous installed version.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: August 16, 2008 02:10AM

Thank you to everyone who has posted here trying to help me. I have been very busy with work over the past day or so, so I appologize for the tardiness of my response(s).

@desga2

K-Meleon does not start when I apply Pheonity(Large) with the default setttings that come with the browser. After I enable the IE Favorites plugin, however, the browser will not start with any skin applied. So at this point, I'm pretty sure it's a skinning issue.

@eduardo

Thank you very much for that useful tip eduardo! I enabled the plugin, but it did not seem to help. However, I am sure that having knowledge of that checkbox will come in handy in the future. Thanks!

@JujuLand

Yes, uninstalling K-Meleon did delete all of my old profile files, which is why I am so confused as to why it is not runnning correctly...

I just did some more testing and my issue is definitely occuring because of the skins. Does K-Meleon 1.5 have a different way of applying skins or something? Maybe I have some left over registry values that are messing it up. I will have a look now...

As always, any help is appreciated!

P.S. - It would be great if one of you guys could upload a FOR SURE working profile that I can test to see if maybe it is something that is just isolated to me or a glitch in the program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2008 02:11AM by PityOnU.

Date: August 16, 2008 04:31AM

Try to deleted the prefs.js file in your profile or overwrite you profile prefs.js file with the same file from \defaults\profile\.

If i understand you well the problems start when you changed the skin to Phoenity Large and enabled Favorites plugin, yes it's?
I do this actions in 1.5 final release in my win2K and works fine.
Are you sure that you don't modify toolbars.cfg file in the skin folder?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: August 18, 2008 11:33PM

desga2
Try to deleted the prefs.js file in your profile or overwrite you profile prefs.js file with the same file from \defaults\profile\.

I did this and all it did was return K-Meleon to its default settings. It is still having trouble with skins.

desga2
If i understand you well the problems start when you changed the skin to Phoenity Large and enabled Favorites plugin, yes it's?
I do this actions in 1.5 final release in my win2K and works fine.
Are you sure that you don't modify toolbars.cfg file in the skin folder?

It occurs whenever I change the skin after changing any of the other preferences for K-Meleon in the Preferences dialog box. I just found out that it actually has nothing to do with any specific plugin or toolbar whatsoever.

I noticed when messing with the prefs.js file that everything that is changed from default is stored to that file. I changed a lot of things in the browser and it created a fairly large file (11 Kcool smiley. Is there maybe a size limit on the prefs.js file before it makes K-Meleon unstable when loading?

P.S. - If there is any way that maybe you could upload your prefs.js file somewhere so that I can try it to see whether K-Meleon is creating corrupt files or if it has something to do with my system, because I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition OEM from HP.

Date: August 25, 2008 04:52AM

Nothing that I can think of seems to fix this. Does anyone have any idea what would possibly help me here?

Date: August 25, 2008 08:26PM

If your problem is prefs.js file size create a backut of this and delete it or copy a new default prefs.js file. Change only some preferences and try if you can change the skin.

If you can change the skin if you can start K-Meleon with default prefs or with changes > 11Kb your problen isn't prefs.js file size.

This is my prefs.js file (all by default) in my profile folder with Skin Phoenity Large config:

# Mozilla User Preferences

/* Do not edit this file.
 * If you make changes to this file while the application is running,
 * the changes will be overwritten when the application exits.
 * To make a manual change to preferences, you can visit the URL about:config
 * For more information, see http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html#prefs
 */

user_pref("browser.link.open_external", 3);
user_pref("browser.link.open_newwindow", 3);
user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "resource:///readme.html");
user_pref("kmeleon.MRU.URL0", "about:config");
user_pref("kmeleon.MRU.URL1", "about:");
user_pref("kmeleon.MRU.URL2", "about:plugins");
user_pref("kmeleon.MRU.URL3", "http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article641451.ece"winking smiley;
user_pref("kmeleon.MRU.URL4", "http://mail-eu.gmx.com/gb/cgi/g.fcgi/miscellaneous/gateway/fm07?si=babgebgg.1219513848.6191.y7vx0x2zi7.73&partnerdata=clientno%3D10%26sid%3Dbabgebgg.1219513848.61"winking smiley;
user_pref("kmeleon.MRU.URL5", "http://mail-eu.gmx.com/us/cgi/g.fcgi/login/loading?stage=1&ver=1.29.5"winking smiley;
user_pref("kmeleon.display.XPos", 254);
user_pref("kmeleon.display.YPos", 74);
user_pref("kmeleon.display.height", 666);
user_pref("kmeleon.display.width", 768);
user_pref("kmeleon.download.saveDir", "G:\\K-Projects\\");
user_pref("kmeleon.general.skinsCurrent", "Phoenity(Large)");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.load", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.accel.mouse.configs", "Firefox 2.0;SeaMonkey 1.1;Opera 9.2;");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.encoding.cache.size", 5);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.modules.compat.load", false);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.reload.interval", 120);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.translate.menu.regions", "1111111");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.translate.service.langpairs", "zh:en;zt:en;en:zh,zt,nl,fr,de,el,it,ja,ko,pt,ru,es;nl:en,fr;fr:en,de,el,it,pt,nl,es;de:en,fr;el:en,fr;it:en,fr;ja:en;ko:en;pt:en,fr;ru:en;es:en,fr;");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.translate.service.name", "&Babel Fish Translation");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.translate.service.regions", "1011100");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.translate.service.url.page", "http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=<from>_<to>&url=<url>";);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.translate.service.url.text", "http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr?lp=<from>_<to>&urltext=<txt>";);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.translate.to", "en");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.macros.zoom", "text");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions.cleanShutdown", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.Last Session.count", 1);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.Last Session.window0", "17	254	74	768	666			0	-1	");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.Last Session.window0.count", 1);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.Last Session.window0.tab0", "1	0			resource:///readme.html	K-Meleon 1.5.0	");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.Previous Session.count", 1);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.Previous Session.window0", "1	254	74	768	666			0	-1	");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.Previous Session.window0.count", 1);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.Previous Session.window0.tab0", "1	0			resource:///readme.html	K-Meleon 1.5.0	");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.list", "Previous Session,prueba1,");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.prueba1.count", 1);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.prueba1.window0", "17	254	74	768	666			0	-1	");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.prueba1.window0.count", 3);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.prueba1.window0.tab0", "1	0			about:	About K-Meleon	");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.prueba1.window0.tab1", "1	0			resource:///readme.html	K-Meleon 1.5.0	");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.sessions2.prueba1.window0.tab2", "1	0			about:plugins	About Plug-ins	");
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.update.lastcheck", 1218050065);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.update.load", false);
user_pref("kmeleon.prefs_inited", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.&Go Buttons.size", 46);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.&Main Bar.size", 184);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.&Privacy Bar.size", 781);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.&Search Buttons.size", 23);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.&Zoom Buttons.size", 46);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Bookmarks.break", 1);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Bookmarks.index", 10);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Bookmarks.size", 699);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Bookmarks.visibility", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Mail/&News Buttons.size", 23);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Tab/&Window Buttons.size", 59);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Tabs.index", 11);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Tabs.size", 699);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Throbber.size", 28);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.URL Bar.size", 240);
user_pref("network.cookie.prefsMigrated", true);
user_pref("signon.SignonFileName", "19521956.s");
user_pref("user.preference.auto-fill.acc_keys", "CTRL ALT M");
user_pref("user.preference.auto-fill.string", "prueba");

Are you sure that you didn't modified toolbars.cfg file in Phoenity Large skin?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.