Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
LOL!!!! What a useless piece of SHIT! DELETES BOOKMARKS WHEN UPGRADING K-MELEON!!!
Posted by: Ultragod
Date: April 11, 2008 12:36AM

LOL!!!! What a useless piece of SHIT! DELETES BOOKMARKS WHEN UPGRADING K-MELEON!!!

What a hunk of shit - OK now I know never 2 even pretend that K-Meleon has 'memory' capability. I have DISABLED ALL of the 'bookmark/favorite/hotlist' whatever functions and history functions. K-Meleon is ONLY good 4 browsing things U do NOT intend 2 reference or save. Use Mozilla 4 that - or IE.

What an utter piece of shit - unbelievable. Programmed by fukin RETARDS!

WTF R U thinking guys? Oh whee - let's have the program automatically 'upgrade' then automatically DELETE ALL THEIR BOOKMARKS!

Thanx a lot, jackasses

pathetic!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LOL!!!! What a useless piece of SHIT! DELETES BOOKMARKS WHEN UPGRADING K-MELEON!!!
Date: April 11, 2008 12:38AM

Oh I forgot 2 mention - it deletes all your 'groups' when 'upgrading' too!

So, all those nifty groups of pages U had arranged - gone FOREVER smiling smiley

Thanx guys! U R so smart HAHAHAHAHA

amazing - amazing U can wipe your ass after taking a shit - no brains at all

Re: LOL!!!! What a useless piece of SHIT! DELETES BOOKMARKS WHEN UPGRADING K-MELEON!!!
Date: April 11, 2008 12:41AM

& people wonder Y everybody uses IE????

This is Y HAHAHAHAHAHA

@ least Firefox doesn't ERASE ALL YOUR WORK! Eats RAM like a pig tho. Is IE the only browser with proper memory management? Lemme' know - somebody E-Mail me if U know a browser besides IE that doesn't lock RAM - bloating until it crashes (like K-Meleon, Mozilla, etc.). No, setting their RAM targets doesn't work. Does in IE tho - behaves itself.

Posted by: casper
Date: April 11, 2008 06:55AM

I'm sorry about you losing your bookmarks I have had my fair share of problems with K-Meleon, I find that the browser closes automatically & no crash report appears so I can't log that as a bug another problem is with the loader which I did submit a bug report for but has not been fixed. I'm staying with SeaMonkey as I that it's more stable than K-Meleon & it doesn't behave in a annoying way.

Posted by: desga2
Date: April 11, 2008 11:52AM

Dear "Ultrashit",
Have you thought that you may be too stupid to use a computer?

If you don't like K-Meleon don't use it, but you can't come here and insult us because you don't find something on your computer, have you tried to search them?

I updated OK from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5 all data/bookmarks was retained. Profile folder wasn't modificated.

What version have you updated and to what version?

Insult to people don't help you to solved your problems.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2008 11:53AM by desga2.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 11, 2008 04:54PM

Ultragod,

Which version of KM did you use? And when you say it deleted your groups and bookmarks, did you install a version on top of an old one?

I gather you didn't backup your profile folder prior to this botched install.

N

Posted by: unRheal
Date: May 19, 2008 03:49PM

What a charming fellow.

Probably just (L)user error anyway.

desga2
Dear "Ultrashit",
[...]
Insult to people don't help you to solved your problems.

I doubt anything can help this sordid individual with his problems.

Ultragod
Oh I forgot 2 mention - it deletes all your 'groups' when 'upgrading' too!

So, all those nifty groups of pages U had arranged - gone FOREVER smiling smiley

Thanx guys! U R so smart HAHAHAHAHA

But of course you didn't lose your groups or bookmarks, because you, being *so* smart, back up your important files regularly, right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2008 03:53PM by unRheal.

Posted by: jimjamjoh
Date: July 23, 2008 12:54AM

the OP's attitude was way off the mark, but i can understand his frustation...there should at least be a dialog in the install process that says "warning, need to back up profile data, or it will be overwritten by this install". overwriting user-level configs during install is no longer a standard experience thanks to the smoothness of firefox installs, and i too fell into the trap. i was annoyed about not being warned, but then i understand k-mel doens't have the resources firefox has, and you guys can't think of everything.

still, upgrades should be smooth, seamless. ideally, you'll want a "preserve existing bookmarks" option in the install, and probably defaulting to yes...pretty easy that, just copy the dir to some temp loc & then copy it back, saves you from getting vitriol like this.

like i said, i don't agree with the way this guy presents himself, but his frustration is unimpeachable. and blaming this on the user is flat wrong.

Posted by: UltraNoob
Date: July 23, 2008 04:16AM

Any casual internet user moving from IE to K-Meleon probably never thought or knew to backup anything prior to a browser minor update.

Posted by: kko
Date: July 23, 2008 08:53AM

jimjamjoh
there should at least be a dialog in the install process that says "warning, need to back up profile data, or it will be overwritten by this install".

The installer program does not overwrite your profile.

jimjamjoh
overwriting user-level configs during install is no longer a standard experience thanks to the smoothness of firefox installs, and i too fell into the trap.

Into what trap? Can you explain us a bit more precise what you actually did?

Posted by: jimjamjoh
Date: July 23, 2008 05:14PM

well as the OP experienced, i too merely downloaded the latest K-Mel, ran the installer, and when the program started up, all of my settings and bookmarks had been replaced with the defaults. i installed into the existing program location, overwriting what was already there.

the "trap" i was referring to was assuming that i did not have to manually back up my profile, then install, then restore my profile, which is what i'm guessing i needed to do in order to keep my settings/bookmarks from being reset to defaults during the install.

if the way i installed the program is non-standard, can you tell me what is considered a standard method of upgrading versions?

thanks!

Posted by: kko
Date: July 23, 2008 06:58PM

jimjamjoh
well as the OP experienced, i too merely downloaded the latest K-Mel, ran the installer, and when the program started up, all of my settings and bookmarks had been replaced with the defaults. i installed into the existing program location, overwriting what was already there.

the "trap" i was referring to was assuming that i did not have to manually back up my profile, then install, then restore my profile, which is what i'm guessing i needed to do in order to keep my settings/bookmarks from being reset to defaults during the install.

There is no problem installing a 1.x version on top of another 1.x. The "trap" is that you have to choose the same profile location as you did for the previous install. When you had checked "Multi-user profiles" for the previous installation, you have to do so for the update. When you had unchecked "Multi-user profiles" for the previous installation, you have to do so for the update. As I've said, the installer does not delete existing profiles. So if you haven't deleted your old profile yourself in the meantime, it should be possible to recover it. Open your K-Meleon installation directory. If there is a file called "profile.ini", delete it. Otherwise create this file (just create a new text file and rename it to "profile.ini", not "profile.ini.txt"). After a restart, the browser should use your old profile.

Posted by: mrbig
Date: August 04, 2008 07:00PM

i will agree on one thing he said firefox and my pc dont get along either at all and i know for a fact its firefox ,maybe just my pc but i cant use firefox but i installed k-meleon 1.6 over 1.5 and used the same directory as 1.5 and it didnt erase any thing of mine except passwords and i had all those hidden so no problem.even if it had all he had to do is export them from internet explorer.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 04, 2008 08:03PM

Good to hear You prepare a software migration
( all professionals and senior users do - me 2 except in very :s senior moments )

K-Meleon 1.1.xes use mostly the same components except for the renewed GREs.
They have the same version specific habbits. kko already pointed at it smiling smiley

If a K-Meleon version pretends that it cannot read old passwords I just copy/paste the content of the old passwords file into the new passwords file smiling smiley

p.s. I salvage the data by hand or by bookmarks backup extension.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2008 08:10PM by guenter.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: August 10, 2008 12:15PM

i don't really understand the fuss about bookmarks and favourites, my 'bookmarks' folders are empty; i use a proper bookmarks/links manager program.. and i have it neatly linked in the favourites menu(macro) but that's me.. i have over 1000 bookmarks for software sites alone.. you can't put that in menus.

want to manage your bookmarks like a pro:
get jetlinks or linkstash

as for ultradim, you should read k-meleon's TOS and EULA, or any other software's for that matter..

Posted by: noout
Date: August 23, 2008 02:33AM

update k-meleon form 1.16 to 1.5.
some prefrences configure was lost for the program changing.
the bookmarks stay the same .

Posted by: Anonymous
Date: August 25, 2008 09:44PM

K-Meleon does need a better upgrade system. I often avoid upgrading it knowing I have to re-input all my settings, saved passwords, sites not to ask me to remember passwords on, etc.

The bookmarks file can just be copyed to desktop and then copied back. Most of the settings can't be copied as the whole config files are different.

I also manually edit things like how the privacy bar gets changed to have the options I want and not the ones I don't and it's useful.

So K-Meleon needs some preference mover in its upgrade system. It should not be that hard.

Posted by: Eugen Mezei
Date: October 23, 2008 03:47AM

Just reinstall again with the other setting, like kko suggested. Voila, your bookmarks are back again.

Eugen

Posted by: romeo
Date: November 06, 2008 10:57PM

I also can confirm the problems with losing some of the preferences especially the passwords when updating from one version to the next one. The bookmarks can be saved/exported because the file is easily recognizable due to its name. But not so with the other settings like preferences and Passwords. It is also absolutely unclear to me until today, where the passwords are being saved by KM and therefore where they may even be deleted/changed from the respective file.
Basically I also think that the update procedure should be foolproof, meaning not necessitating any previous backup/saving of program parts before updating. The sense of a program is to free users from chores and not load new ones upon them. We all know that KM users use it because their machines/systems are older and not the most powerful, so they do not really have the choice to change to Firefox, Opera etc. Since this is so basic of a necessity, it should have a top priority before all other further function improvements.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.