Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Ebay freeze
Posted by: Ricks
Date: February 10, 2009 09:21PM

Hi all, XP pro, K-Meleon 1.5.2.
Whenever I open Ebay pages, the browser won't download any data. Not only does Ebay stall, but no other pages I have open will download any data. It's not the web connection as my email client will download, as will Firefox.

Something on th Ebay pages is causing K-Meleon to stop responding.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ebay freeze
Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 10, 2009 10:25PM

it's working fine here.. is it happening with all ebay pages or just a specific page?

also note.. that ebay relies on 3rd party cookies for ads, so your cookie settings and/or blocked sites in HOSTS file can stall loading ebay. also make sure javascript is enabled because ebay relies a lot on it..noscript or greasemeleon extensions may affect how ebay loads/functions so if you have these extensions, try disabling them.

if still not working, try this:
open k-meleon preferences>provacy and security:
under accept cookies: select always (should not require you to restart kmeleon)

if it still doesn't work..try this.
first make a backup copy of your HOSTS file
location of HOSTS
9x: c:\windows\HOSTS
nt-based(2k,2003,xp,vista,3007 etc): c:\windows\systems32\drivers\etc

after backingup HOSTS, delete the hosts file at mentioned locations and fire kmeleon..does ebay work fine?

if no..they it could be a misconfiguration in your prefs file.
then:
in kmeleon click on edit>manage profiles:
create new profile, select ask at startup> restart kmeleon
at kmeleon run, you'll be prompted for profile selection, select new profile
if it works fine..then import your bookmarks, password file and adblockplus filtering rules(if applicable) to your new profile..delete old profile>uncheck ask at startup

Date: February 10, 2009 11:08PM

Ok, it seems to be happening on most Ebay pages.

I should also add that it does come back after 60 seconds or so, and so do the other pages. It seems like the longer my session is going, the longer it takes to come back though. That could be my impatient imagination too.

I don't have the plugins you mentioned and Javascript is enabled.

I tried the first 2 things you mentioned and it didn't solve the problem, however something else has come up and this may have happened yesterday too, though I can't remember if it was the same.

Whilst on Ebay, a popup download came up with "ebayISAPI.dll". I did a quick search of this and it seems to be some kind of Phishing thing, but that is starting to get over my head.

I haven't tried your profile change yet, as I thought I'd load you with this new info.

Thanks for your help so far.

BTW, this has only started in the last week or so, and I can't recall changing anything significant recently.

Date: February 10, 2009 11:14PM

no no don't worry "ebayISAPI.dll" is part of ebay's integrated tools that storesyour settings/items as a buyer or seller..it's not a bad file and isn't saved on your system..it loads directly from ebay and stays there.

hopefully it's just a configuration thing.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: February 11, 2009 12:55AM

i think i know why you're having problems.

the file you've mentioned should not prompt a download prompt..it should launch from ebay directly and you should see it in urlbar like in this snapshot

the reason it isn't doing that, is possibly because you have added *.dll extension in mime types editor.. or maybe you have a download plugin linked to an installed download manager, which is taking over wheneever it sniffs a dll.

first check your mimetypes editor and check for anything remotely related to application/library or dll..if there is, then delete it, if there isn't..then check your plugins (about:plugins) and check for a download manager plugin like getright, 0get, orbit downloader, free download manager etc - all these could add an np plugin that may take over downloading dlls according to their configurations.

if all that doesn't work..then it's most likely to be a misconfiguration in prefs.js and a new profile should fix it.

here's a test page:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160313516471
(it should open page about a car auction and not prompt to download anything)

Date: February 11, 2009 01:27AM

That page you linked to opened the car, without the popup. The popup seems to be random, but always with a sale item, not a search, if you know what I mean.

I'm going to try a new profile now. BTW, where is the password file?

Date: February 11, 2009 02:05AM

the usernames/password file is stored in your profile folder.
in kmeleon(using your old main profile) click on edit>configuration>profile directory

there you will find a random 8 digit number file with an 's" extension
e.g. 5671310.s
make a backup of this file

after creating a new profile..another random numder file will be created
e.g. 80030011.s

rename the backed up old profile according to the newly generated file
so 5671310.s rename to 80030011.s

copy the renamed file to the new profile folder replacing the new generated pass file

p.s. if you're an ebay buff, check out this browser
http://www.lauge.de/en/ it's an ieshell browser just for ebay, so it's still secure because you can only browse ebay links with it..it's quite good

Date: February 11, 2009 02:10AM

p.s.s. if you create a new profile and the problem persists.. then it's possibly a k-meleon bug.. if it happens, please take note quickly of the link that triggers the download prompt and post it here so we can test.

thanks ricks.

Date: February 11, 2009 02:24AM

Ok, just created a new profile
Still no go, however this time after I started changing preferences, I first got this dialogue box before the other popup I mentioned earlier.

Warning: Unresponsive script

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop
the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
Stop script - Continue

If I hit continue, the 'ebayISAPI.dll' popup comes up again.

This is one page it consistently happens on.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rear-Ultima-Gas-Shock-Absorbers-BMW-3-Series-E36_W0QQitemZ110334188824QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33590QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Date: February 11, 2009 03:26AM

yep.. you're right.

i didn't get the unresponsive script alert but i got that right away:

the reason why it started a week or so ago (even i browse ebay occassionally and never got that before) is due to ebay changed a bit their layout and function calling scripts.

ebay is trying to open a frame with login terminal(if you're not logged) or frame with your account data(if you're already logged) using this js command:
var frameSrc = " ]http://promo.ebay.com.au /ws/eBayISAPI.dll?GetCrossPromos&strsellerid=

if you strip out the url directly:
http://promo.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?GetCrossPromos&strsellerid=
and click on it, you will get the download prompt.. this happens because unlike other browsers, k-meleon can't read the full url address and stops at the question mark"?".. triggering a file download for the ebayISAPI.dll.. this is very strange from k-meleon because it see the url normally on other internal ebay links having the ebayISAPI.dll

the link above should give a page not found or a blank page..and when tested with other gecko browser, webkit and ie..this is exactly what happens without any download prompt.

the problem is, is i can't confirm it as a bug because i can't know for certain it there's a problem with how kmeleon is interperting the code(i don't see anything substantial in the error console) or if there is something weird ging on at ebay...

i can't generate the download prompt everytime and for the last 10 minutes it seems to have gone?! is it still doing the same thing with you?

maybe we should wait for feedback from other users, especially the guru ones and then i think it will be valid to be a bug.

for now, first you can use your old profile.. there's nothing wrong with your settings.. i apologise for that inconvenience.

maybe try using another browser for ebays.. i recommend using http://www.lauge.de/en/ it's a very nice ebay browser. if you really need to use k-meleon for ebay..then you can try the ietab extension and then you can right click on ebay links inside k-meleon and select open in ietab-this opens the page in internet explorer rendering engine which will load the page without problems.

you can download ietab from this link:
http://necb.bizhat.com/kmeleon/ietab-KM1.6.7z
extract the 7z package in k-meleon's install folder..restart kmeleon and right click on ebay links>select open in ietab.

p.s. keep testing every now and then and see if it's gone cause i can't bring it up anymore (maybe ebay fixed it as we type )

Posted by: JamesD
Date: February 11, 2009 04:53AM

I went to http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rear-Ultima-Gas-Shock-Absorbers-BMW-3-Series-E36_W0QQitemZ110334188824QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33590QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247 and I got the un-responsive script message. I clicked on whichever answer was on the right side of the message box and I got to an auction for Gas Shock Absorbers.

It is site specfic. I don't get any message when I go to http://www.ebay.com/

Date: February 11, 2009 05:02AM

Oh great, at least you were able to see exactly what's happening. Not so good that it is a silly problem.

I'm not getting the 'dll' file now either, yet I still get the 'unresponsive script' warning. It doesn't seem to stall and then loads the page fine though.

No apology needed, you were more than helpful.

For the moment I'll continue to use K-Meleon, and if it does something else nasty then I'll look at an alternative.

Thanks for all your help.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.