Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Horrible, K-Meleon devs lied and said they fixed a bug when they never did
Posted by: Christopher Poole
Date: January 11, 2009 05:23AM

Horrible, K-Meleon devs lied and said they fixed a bug when they never did.
This one: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1030

And now it's impossible to use their bug report system because they blocked registrations!

Here is their test case: http://freenet-homepage.de/CoolMcKluus/software/kmeleon/tests/popups.html

Well, it still doesn't work. Up until K-Meleon 1.16, I could set it so when "New windows by window.open()" will ALWAYS be maximized. From 1.5.0 and on, they NEVER are maximized, ever NO MATTER WHAT!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Horrible, K-Meleon devs lied and said they fixed a bug when they never did
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 11, 2009 09:09AM

Properly register to forum. Use cookies and activate JavaScript while trying.

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 11, 2009 06:44PM

You can two ways/links to access bug tracker:
Open a new account

Remember:
You must allow cookies from kmeleon.sourceforge.net to be able to use all features of the bug tracking system.

If you existing account not work this can be because some time ago Sourceforge migrated his servers and some user account needed be synchronized to work again.

I can access to Bugs without problems.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: kko
Date: January 11, 2009 09:33PM

Christopher Poole
Horrible, K-Meleon devs lied and said they fixed a bug when they never did.
This one: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/bugs/viewbug.php?bugid=1030

This bug report is the only thing being horrible here. Have you written it? It's one of the sort that I have to read five times in order to get a clue what it's all about (consider to read the Bug Reporting Guidelines for the next time). Well, I made some tests at that time and noticed that something wasn't working properly. I explained the problem - what I thought would be the problem - in two sentences. You should have received this comment of mine by mail. You did not respond. So, Dorian fixed the bug that I had described:

Popup position/size ignored when opener maximized

When the opener window is maximized, position and size specifications for the popup window are ignored.
The title bar of the popup window indicates "maximized", but the window is not.

If that was not (exactly) the bug that you wanted to report, why haven't you answered in time to make yourself clear? The reason why you have to specify an email address for the BTS is that other people's comments are sent to you by mail so you can answer to these comments in case you are asked for additional information, or in case that you think you've been misunderstood. Coming now - five months later - and calling us liars is really not the gentle way my dear.

Christopher Poole
And now it's impossible to use their bug report system because they blocked registrations!

We do not block anything.

Christopher Poole
Here is their test case: http://freenet-homepage.de/CoolMcKluus/software/kmeleon/tests/popups.html

Well, it still doesn't work. Up until K-Meleon 1.16, I could set it so when "New windows by window.open()" will ALWAYS be maximized. From 1.5.0 and on, they NEVER are maximized, ever NO MATTER WHAT!

Well, I see now that the popups are never maximized when they should be. I also see now that you mentioned that in your report (in the last sentence of your novel). Obviously, I had overseen this aspect. My bad. But that's no reason to call me a liar. Next time register with a valid email address and respond while the bug being hot.

Date: January 11, 2009 11:52PM

kko
Next time register with a valid email address and respond while the bug being hot.

Thx kko, your post brings to the point - why it is better and why especially forum moderators would like proper & valid registration.

BTW. By public consent this forum's members did not insist on a proper registration procedure. All wanted that all PPL (even those that have problems or hesitate to register) can get help here.

p.s There are many scam sites - we wanted our "Forum" to be free of registration since that reduces possibility of scam.

This forum is a real support forum, please support this Forum by a proper registration and help to others - just in case PPL here were able to help You.

Please consider to use specific (but none to be traced easily) info when You are here. What I mean: Try to trace for example names like Fred or guenter to a real person & address. You can be anonymous and PPL can reach You - at the same time.

BTW. I use a dispensible @ mail & I never received spam because of the fact that my mail @ yahoo is listed here. thx for reading this silly post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2009 11:56PM by guenter.

Date: January 12, 2009 12:45AM

As for the old bug report I made, well I'm pretty sure I made a valid email I just forgot which one it was and likely one I stopped using. I also got too busy to test 1.5.1 so not until I downloaded 1.5.2 did I see it. And so by looking at the bug report, it looks like it was fixed from the text.

As for the registration thing, I tend not to register on sites because it's easier really. This forum doesn't seem to get spam or crapfloods. The worst it's gotten was this relatively benign thread http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,78903 where someone was angry how K-Meleon doesn't carry over preferences on upgrade (something that should eventually be fixed, though some of the customizable parts like editing toolbars.cfg would be harder) and then one of the repliers insulted him with "Have you thought that you may be too stupid to use a computer?"

But that's kinda rare and moderators can always clean bad topics up.

I don't see things like XRummer (a Russian spambot program with an AI that decodes even newly written forms and also reads CAPTCHAs far better than humans) spamming here.

Posted by: desga2
Date: January 12, 2009 02:46AM

"Have you thought that you may be too stupid to use a computer?"

I only can say that I'm agree with you but ONLY in this line of all your garbage posts.
You can not come here insulting anybody just because you are unaware or you ignore what is happening, before you should first know and ask nicely.

"Have you thought that you may be too stupid to use a computer?"

Yes, i really think that there are people who should not use a computer, and you've shown us.

If you ignore something, ask for it, that is the reason for the existence of this forum, help not insult.

If you insult is because you've lost all argument and we should not respond you because your questions not help anybody.

You should read an education book before use a computer and post in a forum.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: January 12, 2009 12:01PM

Christopher Poole
As for the old bug report I made, well I'm pretty sure I made a valid email I just forgot which one it was and likely one I stopped using.

As for the registration thing, I tend not to register on sites because it's easier really. This forum doesn't seem to get spam or crapfloods. The worst it's gotten was this relatively benign thread http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,78903 where someone was angry how K-Meleon doesn't carry over preferences on upgrade (something that should eventually be fixed, though some of the customizable parts like editing toolbars.cfg would be harder) and then one of the repliers insulted him with "Have you thought that you may be too stupid to use a computer?"

1.) I made one account @ yahoo that I only use for registrations & that excludes forgetting. Consider to work that way also.

2.) The moderators and especially the K-Meleon devs worked hard to exclude spam.

3.) The project simply does not have surplus manpower to create amenities.

A user should know how preferences are transferred (You need that also when Windows partially breaks a profile) if not he can ask other users via this forum so that he can learn it, and someone that wants custom toolbars must himself spend the time to learn to use an editor inside toolbars.cfg. He not the devs want a custom toolbar.

Date: January 13, 2009 07:27AM

desga2, For "Have you thought that you may be too stupid to use a computer?" Well if someone comes here yelling saying that just makes a thread worse.

guenter
2.) The moderators and especially the K-Meleon devs worked hard to exclude spam.

3.) The project simply does not have surplus manpower to create amenities.

For 2, I've never seen any spam here ever. Maybe the forms are designed with hidden fields that catch all those spambots like XRummer that read CAPTCHAs better than humans.

For 3, well the thing with importing settings is K-Meleon changes all the time so copying the same files might break things. At least the bookmarks follows the same format.

It wouldn't hurt to have installation instructions, which should be like:
1) Copy your bookmarks file to another folder.
2) Write down what your settings are.
3) Copy everything in your plugins directory
4) Make sure you have written down all the saved passwords you had K-Meleon memorize
5) Uninstall old version
6) Install new version
7) Copy your backup of the bookmarks to where your new bookmarks file is and overwrite.
8) Go through your notes and re-update all settings
9) ???
10) Profit

There, I've written a rough draft for the site. It would be easier to write instruction and have it up somewhere than to make code to parse all the settings files for each version and then translate it to the current one.

Date: January 13, 2009 11:36AM

Christopher Poole
For 2, I've never seen any spam here ever. Maybe the forms are designed with hidden fields that catch all those spambots like XRummer that read CAPTCHAs better than humans.

For 3, well the thing with importing settings is K-Meleon ...

It wouldn't hurt to have installation instructions, which should be like:
1) Copy your bookmarks file to another folder.
2) Write down what your settings are.
3) Copy everything in your plugins directory
4) Make sure you have written down all the saved passwords you had K-Meleon memorize
5) Uninstall old version
6) Install new version
7) Copy your backup of the bookmarks to where your new bookmarks file is and overwrite.
8) Go through your notes and re-update all settings
9) ???
10) Profit

for 2.) We remove spam. I am one of the censors grinning smiley

for 3.)

Info is in threads about lost profiles and such. There might be info in wiki?
Yes, it would be fine if an English speaking person makes summaries for wiki.

1.) ok. Copy the whole profile to a save location (btw. There is even an extension for automatic backups).

2.) Prefs are in Profile's prefs.js.
3.) ok. Plus most are autodetected as long as they on Your PC in an plugins dir or... Here are some examples:
I:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll.
e:\Programme\VideoLAN\VLC\npvlc.dll
C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\npdeploytk.dll
C:\Programme\Windows Media Player\npdrmv2.dll

Opera, safari... all except IE use the same plugins.
Plugins in K-Meleon's plugins dir are preferred if two plugins can handle the same mimeType

4.)pwds are in *.s (* = random number) - copy and paste inside the new *.s after You created it by setting a pwd. You also need the 3 *.db files if masterpass is set.

5.& 6: ) Or give each new install a new name such as K-Meleon1.5.2...
After You crated a new empty profile for its use smiling smiley

7.) or set bookmarks plugin to use bookmarks.html at an old location smiling smiley
I use one in K-Meleon1.1.4. That keeps them synchronized.

8.) Prefs.js are reusable within the same major version.

Compatible: 1.0 - 1.0.x same version.

Compatible: 1.1 - 1.1.x same version.

Compatible: 1.5 - 1.5.X same version.

In case of a version change You can edit the Prefs.js but the user interface is faster and safer. The recent versions have a compatibility macro that can be activated. And it auto updates old settings. So You do a backup (just in case) and try whether the updater works for You. It normally does.

Date: May 17, 2009 09:29PM

1.5.3 came out and this is still not fixed. Clearly devs never read these forums. It is also still impossible to register to submit a bug report and still no "forgot password" function exists to get access to an old account of mine (which after a year of looking I found the email address to) to file bug reports.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.