Bugs :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
You can talk about issues with k-meleon here.  
Hibernation of Windows, K-Meleon slow
Posted by: gaurav200x
Date: June 10, 2009 04:09PM

Dear All,

i'm using K-Meleon 1.5.3 and Windows XP SP3 with 256 MB RAM. The reason i downloaded K-Meleon was because I was told that it would run faster as compared to other browsers like FF & IE, which consume a lot of memory.

However, i have noted that often K-Meleon uses a lot of memory (not CPU usage) and it often peaks to 70-80 MB and more. I also have a habit of opening many tabs simultaneously, since I do multi-tasking.

Also, whenever I open Gmail, I have noted that the memory usage increases and makes the processing quite slow. Often, the script will hang & causing my complete system resources to be drained out of memory.

Most importantly, I've seen that after resuming my PC from hibernation, K-Meleon takes an aweful amount of memory & CPU usage to come to normal CPU usage & till such time, it would be the system be doing a lot of unknown processing.

Kindly advice what remedial steps can I take since this is not at all serving the purpose for which I downloaded K-Meleon.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hibernation of Windows, K-Meleon slow
Posted by: desga2
Date: June 10, 2009 08:28PM

If you have K-Meleon in hibernation mode remember leave K-Meleon window minimized to saved memory.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: caktus
Date: June 10, 2009 10:16PM

@ gaurav200x

Both Windows Hibernate and Stand-by modes are notorious for instability when it is least expected and even crashing resulting in lost files or worse. Perhaps making sure that System Restore and associated services are enabled and started may be of some help but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Not having enough physical/vitual memory (RAM) available can cause problems for the hiber.sys file wich is created when the system goes into Hibernation. The size of memory must be at least equal to the size of the hiber.sys file. And if the system is scheduled to perform any tasks such as a virus scan when coming out of Hiberation, this will consume a large amount of memory as well. Also, the hiber.sys can become corrupted in other ways, though this file cannot me examined as it only exists while the system is in Hibernation. Even with a large amount of RAM I would not trust Hibernation or even Standby to always be safe.

Probably better to just leave the system running and minimizing all open apps as desga2 suggested. Or if you are concerned about the $2-$3 of monthly power usage I'd just turn it off when not in use though startup probably makes up for half of the power savings.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 10, 2009 11:11PM

Trouble is AFAIK - MS Windows hibernation!*

I might be wrong. Sorry IFF.

First apps started - "must and will" get the blame. Solution IMHO deactivate Hibernation.

* p.s. Hibernation does not work well here either.
I do not know 4 certain - what is to blame;

Right or wrong I blame my OS - K-Meleon is sort of my country grinning smiley

Date: June 11, 2009 05:52AM

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for your replies. So, it seems that there is no work-around for hibernation.

Kindly advice what can be done to minimize the other two issues as well.

Thanks.

Posted by: Paul
Date: June 11, 2009 10:06AM

guenter
Trouble is AFAIK - MS Windows hibernation!*

I might be wrong. Sorry IFF.

First apps started - "must and will" get the blame. Solution IMHO deactivate Hibernation.

* p.s. Hibernation does not work well here either.
I do not know 4 certain - what is to blame;

Right or wrong I blame my OS - K-Meleon is sort of my country grinning smiley

Must say in all the "How to make XP faster" advice I've seen in dedicated forums, disabling hibernation is always mentioned.

Date: June 11, 2009 02:17PM

By the way, how do i export my K-Meleon bookmarks to some other browser ?

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 11, 2009 03:08PM

i never used hibernation so don't know how stable/unstable it makes your system but i did read in many forums that it can be quite problematic.

i do use standby without any problems(unless i use the photo scanner..standby conflicts with the driver and pc needs to be rebooted for standby to work again_). standby S3 type is very energy efficient and is much better than your usual standby (S2) s3 suspends your system to ram..so all your hardware shuts down exactly like hibernate without requiring additional resources.. older mobos/bioses do not support it however..check in your bios if you have standby s3 type supported.
reboot, click delete or F1 to enter bios settings... in bios configuration, check wakeup events or something similar and see if standby mode has S3 listed..if it does, select s3 and click F10 TO SAVE your new settings.

Date: June 11, 2009 04:10PM

disrupted
i never used hibernation so don't know how stable/unstable it makes your system but i did read in many forums that it can be quite problematic.

i do use standby without any problems(unless i use the photo scanner..standby conflicts with the driver and pc needs to be rebooted for standby to work again_). standby S3 type is very energy efficient and is much better than your usual standby (S2) s3 suspends your system to ram..so all your hardware shuts down exactly like hibernate without requiring additional resources.. older mobos/bioses do not support it however..check in your bios if you have standby s3 type supported.
reboot, click delete or F1 to enter bios settings... in bios configuration, check wakeup events or something similar and see if standby mode has S3 listed..if it does, select s3 and click F10 TO SAVE your new settings.

If i put my system on standby, and disconnect from AC supply, I think the system would still drain battery power. Right ?

Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 11, 2009 05:53PM

oh i see it's a laptop.. it'd still consume from your battery in case of S2 standby.. but it will be quite low usage..it would take hours before batt runs out. the biggest power consumer of computrs- whether laptops or desktops is your display.. crt monitors in particular need more than lcd.

you can save energy in most laptops by simply flipping the lid close.. the display will turn off and send it to standby

in case of S3 standby, the consumption will be next to nothing, very similar to hibernation because all your hardware will shutdown and your desktop(open applications etc) are suspended to ram keeping last state. the only energy consuming part will be your ram..which takes very very little..like the caps lock led for example. most computers or laptops which support s3 comes with bios set to s2..so you need to check your bios and make s3 default suspend mode if supported.

another thing on hibernation, especially with laptops(as far as i've read).. is to disconnect external peripherals before hibernating.. like usb printers, scanners or dvd player cause 'they' say those can cause hibernation problems when resuming back when they are kept connected.

Posted by: caktus
Date: June 12, 2009 04:47AM

@ gaurav200x

It seems that KM's cpu and mem consumption Is greatly reduced when minimized and is returned to the higher cpu and mem usage when restored. The longer the windows and tabs are in use minimized or restored resource consumption will usually continue to increase, particulaly with pages that contain js and other eye and ear candy. I have had many windows and tabs open at once and KM's mem usage as high as about 450MB with no noticeable problems, but then I have 1Gig of mem and have never intentionally utilized more than about 500MB at once. Two good rules of thumb are 'you can never have too much mem' (within the limits imposed by the mobo and OS) and that unused RAM is waisted RAM (but on occasion it is used for example during startup. Also, increasing RAM and virtual mem/page file is a good thing especially if you run resource intensive programs such as video games, videos and image/video editing.

Before adding more mem be sure to learn what your particular system (hardware and software) requirements are. One good/easy way to learn this is by using crucial.com's Free System Scanner tool weather you intend to purchase from them or not (sometimes good things really are free.)

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: June 13, 2009 02:43PM

disrupted
you need to check your bios and make s3 default suspend mode if supported.

Well, i don't think my bios has any such option. Is there any software which i can download & use, which will tell me about it ?

Posted by: Paul
Date: June 13, 2009 07:31PM

caktus

Before adding more mem be sure to learn what your particular system (hardware and software) requirements are. One good/easy way to learn this is by using crucial.com's Free System Scanner tool weather you intend to purchase from them or not (sometimes good things really are free.)

Very good link.... Gives honest no B.S advice......smiling smiley

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: July 01, 2009 11:41PM

disrupted

WELL I DO USE HIBERNATION, disrupted! I will challenge anyone who doesn't like the hibernation feature on either their desktop or laptop machine.

The hibernation APM feature on my XP desktop and laptop computers worked VERY well.
I even tested KM 1.5.3 and hibernate the laptop a while ago and the KM slowdown wasn't so noticable. maybe because I'm using a laptop with a fast CPU & 512Mb of RAM, WinXP Home Edition SP3.

just don't use hardware or some device drivers (or other software) that can interfere with the hibernation process.

Like the advice caktus mentioned here in this thread.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 11:43PM by 4td8s.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.